Hardware Can you help a Dad out? Buying a handheld console

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What? :O Nonono, uninstall that one, then launch FBI, select Remote install, then Scan QR Code. Scan the one found here, then press A to install:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-arc13s-freeshop-fork-open-source-eshop-alternative.468436/

Thanks that works! The GUI in the freeShop looks normal now.

I'd like to thank all of you! My daughter is going to love me tomorrow for her birthday.

Is there anything else I should know? Things she should not do on the console now?

Cheers.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Thanks that works! The GUI in the freeShop looks normal now.

I'd like to thank all of you! My daughter is going to love me tomorrow for her birthday.

Is there anything else I should know? Things she should not do on the console now?

Cheers.

You probably don't want to play an out-of-region game online.

Reactions: cw-kid

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
You could set up Parental Controls (optional) and make NAND backups in case something goes wrong. But if she only plays games and doesn't poke around in homebrew, that 3DS should be quite safe.

D

Deleted User

Something to know is to Disable Spotpass, aka sending info to nintendo, there was a banwave a month or 2 ago and the biggest suggestion was to disable spotpass, if another comes around disabling spotpass and the internet connection till its over is the best thing, saftey is the best medicine. but we aren't sure if there WILL be another banwave.

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Looking in the Nintendo eShop in the settings there is an option for Available Updates.

There is one update available for a game downloaded from the freeShop.

Is it OK to download this game update from the Nintendo eShop ?

Thanks

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking in the Nintendo eShop in the settings there is an option for Available Updates.

There is one update available for a game downloaded from the freeShop.

Is it OK to download this game update from the Nintendo eShop ?

Thanks
It's perfectly fine to install things using eShop, including updates.

Reactions: cw-kid

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just tried inserting the R4i card but it doesn't seem to do anything. The card icon on the home menu is still just blank.

D

Deleted User

As far as im aware TWLoader supports R4i card, but ill need to recheck that, give me a few to check

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I Went and check and sure enough it does, but i don't have a R4i card to complete testing, but it does have a flashcart selector and R4i card is on there, not sure if it works differently than having the DS games on an SD card, because there are certain games that wont play or have issues loading from SD, but Flashcarts might be a different story, dont have one to test unfortunately

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The card was off an old DS Lite I think it was. The handheld broke but I kept the card which did use to work.

R4i Revolution for DS

NDSI / NDSL / NDS

www.r4rultra.com

Not the end of the world if it doesn't work but thought it might be fun to see some of the older games.

Thanks

Last edited by cw-kid,

kupoid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great thanks.

So what is the current OS version 11.4 ?

I'll just make sure we don't update it before doing a hack.

Which hack method would you recommend for me? I assume there are several different ways of doing it.

And is it similar to the Wii / Wii-U ? With homebrew browser and you can play games off a SD card I assume?

Thanks.

I am a first time 3ds owner here. I bought a new N3ds xl from Amazon a few week ago. It came with 11.3 firmware out of the box. Actually I prefer N2ds xl because it lighter, cooler looking and cheaper. But it require too many hoops to hack it, so I end up with N3ds xl. Here what I did. I follow this awesome guide from 3ds.guide (ty all people making this guide so noob friendly). I followed step by step and some steps I have to read third time to make sure. All went smooth without any errors from a to z including update system to 11.5 firmware. At first I used the stock 4gb sdcard to hack it then the 32 gb from ebay came a week later. I just copy and paste all to 32 sdcard, no problem . All my 3ds games are installed by fbi and my favorite gba, snes games are run through emulators (mgba, snes9x) off sdcard. I did install free eshop a few days ago after some research, but haven't use it yet. With 3-4 3ds games is enough for me, now I'm on Bravely Default and love it. I do all this with my Galaxy S2 tablet, no pc required. Hope this help.

Last edited by kupoid,

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
At first I used the stock 4gb sdcard to hack it then the 32 gb from ebay came a week later. I just copy and paste all to 32 sdcard, no problem.

From personal experience with the Wii U I would say most of the SD cards on eBay are fake. I bought a 32gb Sandisk and Kingston cards and was having all sorts of problems with the wup installer and it bombing out.

I went to PC world and paid for a genuine Sandisk card and it all started working OK.

Now today for this 3DS I am currently using the fake 32gb Sandisk card. Its installed 4 games OK.

However a large 3gb game like Pokemon Moon fails. I suspect its the SD card playing up again and may have to spend another £20 for a genuine one tomorrow.

Currently trying Yo-Kai Watch game it failed once and now downloading again.

Actually its just finshed downloading for a second time but errors saying Failed to finalize content : 0xF9608022.

Mario & Luigi Paper Jam Bros just failed as well saying "Incomplete Installation".

The Legend of Zelda Mojara's Mask 3D and Rayman Origins both fail with "Failed to finalize content : 0xF9608022"

Last edited by cw-kid,

Jarmenti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i recommend the n2dsxl for all kids. i believe 3d effect is not good for children's eyes. Even if they say it's ok for 7 and above i would wait till they are at least 10.

The 3ds actually may have cured my niece of lazy eye... so i wouldn't necessarily say it's bad for their eyes!... even the eye doctor agreed!

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
personally, i'd recommend just a plain old 3DS, mod it a little and you can even play DS games on it.

Try telling that to a 9 year old who wants the New Nintendo 3DS XL lol.

So can you not play the DS games on the new one? Unless I get the R4i cart working?

kupoid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From personal experience with the Wii U I would say most of the SD cards on eBay are fake. I bought a 32gb Sandisk and Kingston cards and was having all sorts of problems with the wup installer and it bombing out.

I went to PC world and paid for a genuine Sandisk card and it all started working OK.

Now today for this 3DS I am currently using the fake 32gb Sandisk card. Its installed 4 games OK.

However a large 3gb game like Pokemon Moon fails. I suspect its the SD card playing up again and may have to spend another £20 for a genuine one tomorrow.

Currently trying Yo-Kai Watch game it failed once and now downloading again.

Actually its just finshed downloading for a second time but errors saying Failed to finalize content : 0xF9608022.

Mario & Luigi Paper Jam Bros just failed as well saying "Incomplete Installation".

The Legend of Zelda Mojara's Mask 3D and Rayman Origins both fail with "Failed to finalize content : 0xF9608022"

Maybe bad luck on your side. Btw my card is Samsung evo select, I installed Bravely Default (3.2 gb), Mariokart 7, SF IV, and Legend of Zelda OOT without any problem at all. Gba and Snes games run 60 fps. It is not fake imo. Also I don't use Nintendo Network I'D account but I still play online just fine. At first I have problem connect to public WiFi (Starbuck, Public Library etc...). I search internet for answers but there are none. After I play with it some more now I can connect to public WiFi no problem at all.

Last edited by kupoid,

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah maybe bad luck but I wouldn't buy SD cards off eBay again.

Both Sandisk and Kingston confirmed to me the cards were indeed fake. I did get my money back off the sellers though.

Need another genuine card now for the 3DS it seems. A Donkey Kong game just failed so given up for now.

Deleted member 377734

100th degree asskicker
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Try telling that to a 9 year old who wants the New Nintendo 3DS XL lol.

So can you not play the DS games on the new one? Unless I get the R4i cart working?
i have 0 experience with using carts, I hacked mine using Plailect's guide and through trial an and error ( mostly error ) got DS games working on it .

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The games from the freeShop where about's are they saved on the SD card? Cannot find them.

Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: F