Hardware Can you help a Dad out? Buying a handheld console

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello

My daughter would like a Nintendo handheld console.

We already have a Wii-U which I managed to setup to play games off an external hard drive.

However I know nothing about these DS handhelds.

She would like either the "New Nintendo" 3DS XL

Or the "New Nintendo" 2DS XL.

These new consoles have the coloured buttons on them right? I'm not even sure how to tell the different generations apart.

Is the 3D worth it are there many 3D games? Personally I'd probably just buy the 2D version.

Also what Nintendo OS firmware version should I be looking for?

So we can play "backed" up game titles.

I can buy new, if I know that I am buying the correct one? that will likely have a lower firmware version on it.

Or I can buy pre-owned, perhaps from some of the local games shops and actually ask to see it running and check out the firmware version that way.

If the wizz kids could give an old Dad some advice I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Reactions: Chary
Trophies
XP
i recommend the n2dsxl for all kids. i believe 3d effect is not good for children's eyes. Even if they say it's ok for 7 and above i would wait till they are at least 10.
There actually isn't any evidence of it damaging children's eyes. They just put that warning on boxes and such so that if it did happen for whatever reason, they couldn't be sued.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either the n3dsxl or n2dsxl are fine, I'd stick with the n3dsxl though, for both hacking purposes (although I think ntrboothax may still work on the n2dsxl once it's released) and so that you have the 3D option should you want it. The price gap between them isn't that huge considering it's a handheld console you'll probably be playing for years.

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the replies so far!

So the n2DS XL is harder to hack? Needs a hardware mod or another 3DS that right?

Or when ntrboothax is released?

I'm looking for the easiest way to do it, so if you are saying a n3DS XL would be better then I'll go for one of those.

So what about the OS firmware version?

Are there certain new models / editions to be buying over others to try and get a lower firmware version on it etc.

Cheers.

Trophies
XP
Thanks for the replies so far!

So the n2DS XL is harder to hack? Needs a hardware mod or another 3DS that right?

Or when ntrboothax is released?

I'm looking for the easiest way to do it, so if you are saying a n3DS XL would be better then I'll go for one of those.

So what about the OS firmware version?

Are there certain new models / editions to be buying over others to try and get a lower firmware version on it etc.

Cheers.
The N2DS XL requires a hardmod or a second hacked 2/3ds. We don't know when NTRBootHax will be released. I'd go with the N3DS XL.
edit: any new n3dsxl will be fine, they all come on 11.3 or below which is what you want.

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Great thanks.

So what is the current OS version 11.4 ?

I'll just make sure we don't update it before doing a hack.

Which hack method would you recommend for me? I assume there are several different ways of doing it.

And is it similar to the Wii / Wii-U ? With homebrew browser and you can play games off a SD card I assume?

Thanks.

suzsuzuki

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Buy any "New Nintendo" 3DS XL since whe the New 2DS version you cannot play backup games easily. I't on the box "New Nintendo 3DS" so there's no error. Firmware 11.3 or below, a brand new will be fine but don't buy any used since it can be banned.

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok thanks I will take a read of the guide and hope its not too difficult to do it.

Any chance of bricking or is it fairly safe?

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Listen to everyone above.
Although, some where suggesting you to get a new 2ds/3ds xl. That is all fine and all, but if you are wanting to play "backups" of your own games, then i would look for a N3DSXL rather than N2DS just so that you can install CFW on it. Or if you have a friend with a hacked console, hit him/her up and maybe they can mod the N2DS for you.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
i recommend the n2dsxl for all kids. i believe 3d effect is not good for children's eyes. Even if they say it's ok for 7 and above i would wait till they are at least 10.

I believe you can disable the 3D in the parental controls.

Hacking aside, unless you're getting a substantial price or there's some other worthwhile difference I would go for the N3DS XL.

Reactions: Stephano

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My eldest kid had one of the original DS consoles years ago. There was a special R4i card for it.

The console broke but think I still have those game backups saved somewhere.

Are the n3DS XL capable of playing the older DS games?

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My eldest kid had one of the original DS consoles years ago. There was a special R4i card for it.

The console broke but think I still have those game backups saved somewhere.

Are the n3DS XL capable of playing the older DS games?
Sadly no, you will need a flash card for that

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I still have that R4i Revolution for DS card I just found it.

So is that card obsolete now? or could it also work with this new n3DS XL?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.