Can we please not

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think many people would turn away from religion if they read their religious texts properly and actually took the time to think about what it means - i.e. what it is that the god of their religion is actually suggesting, or commanding, that they do in their daily lives.
The issue of course is how they take such religious texts. If you actually apply higher criticisms to them and realize that for a large part are only allegorical than things are ok. And then add the fact that alot of the "Christian" (or Muslim or Hindu or whatever) ideas are not in said texts but rather were to a point adopted over time.

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
OP
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The very worst one I have found is Hosea 13:16:
In this one they are not talking about sacrificing children turned away from themildren, but about Gods wrath apon the pagans, because he has given them
a second chance and still they will not repent.
for look even though it says this look in Hosea Chapter 14, it talks about how God showed forgiveness

this isn't the first time God has done something like this:
in Genesis, God gave them a chance to repent and turn away from their evil lives,
but they didn't, so the Flood came to wash away the sinful, killed man, women, and children.
in Exodus, God wanted the Pharaoh to release the Israelites,
SEVEN times he tried, each time he tried and the pharaoh said no, God sent a plague.
on the last plague God killed every Firstborn of the Egyptians.

all of those times God gave them a chance, atleast one chance to right their wrongs.

Also in Mathew 15: 4-5 "For God says "Honor your father, and your mother," and, "Whoever
Speaks evil surely Die", This was said by the Pharisees, and scribes Who were Jewish, Not Christians,
also at that time the Pharisees, and scribes were evil, and corrupted.

mashers, almost every time you paraphrase you don't include anything after or before.
its like someone says "Its Not cool to do drugs",
and all you repeat from that person is "Cool to do drugs".
Selective listening.

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
The issue of course is how they take such religious texts. If you actually apply higher criticisms to them and realize that for a large part are only allegorical than things are ok.
While I agree in principle, I also believe this to be a major flaw in most (if not all) religions. Lets stick with Christianity as an example, though this also applies to other religions. Christians believe that the bible is the word of god, and that it is to be interpreted as doctrine. I believe the bible even states this specifically (in Revelation I think). If certain passages are supposed to be interpreted allegorically and others literally, then this should be stated in the text. Otherwise it's a totally subjective judgement which parts are literal and which are not. This is a huge problem. Technically the bible should be followed to the letter, but the church has been forced to pick and choose what should be literally interpreted and what shouldn't.

According to the bible we should be stoning people to death. Of course we now know that this is a barbaric and unnecessary practice, yet there it is in black and white in many parts of the bible, stated as direct instruction from God.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

In this one they are not talking about sacrificing children turned away from themildren, but about Gods wrath apon the pagans, because he has given them
a second chance and still they will not repent.
"Do as I say!"
"No."
"You must do as I say!!"
"No, I don't want to."
"Fine, I'll kill your children."

Does that sound moral to you? Try reading it and imagine instead of God saying it, it's your neighbour. How does it sound now?

this isn't the first time God has done something like this:
in Genesis, God gave them a chance to repent and turn away from their evil lives,
but they didn't, so the Flood came to wash away the sinful, killed man, women, and children.
in Exodus, God wanted the Pharaoh to release the Israelites,
SEVEN times he tried, each time he tried and the pharaoh said no, God sent a plague.
on the last plague God killed every Firstborn of the Egyptians.
Was it the fault of the children, in either of those cases, that the people were disobeying God? If so, why did God not address his commands to the children? If not, why did he kill the children in order to punish their parents? In either case, god's behaviour in both of these situations is totally irrational.

all of those times God gave them a chance, atleast one chance to right their wrongs.
A chance? Well why didn't you say so?! We all know it's fine to murder people's children as long as you give them a chance to meet your demands first!

Also in Mathew 15: 4-5 "For God says "Honor your father, and your mother," and, "Whoever
Speaks evil surely Die", This was said by the Pharisees, and scribes Who were Jewish, Not Christians,
also at that time the Pharisees, and scribes were evil, and corrupted.
So why is it in the bible? It seems like God wasn't very careful about what got put in and what got left out. If to part was spoken by people who were "evil and corrupted", what else in the bible is similarly unreliable?

Selective listening.
No. It's basing morals on empathy and being a sensible member of society, not on what it says in a book - especially one as barbaric as the bible.

Last edited by mashers,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope that the op is glad to know i haven't started celebration of christmas yet, haven't found borden's eggnog on sale yet.:glare:

WHERE THE HECK IS IT!:angry:

Anyway i look forward to thanks giving more.

1. MY BIRTHDAY (sometimes are on thanksgiving)
  2. Parade, thank macy's for that.
  3. LOTS OF FOOD (no insults for gluttony or health please)
Well least i still like it. :)

DeoNaught

OP
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I hope that the op is glad to know i haven't started celebration of christmas yet, haven't found borden's eggnog on sale yet.:glare:

Honestly found that eggnog on sale at safeway here, Too bad I'm not old enough yet.

Whats nice about Bday being on thanksgiving, relatives come over,
and they feel pressured to give you something, probly money

do you go to the Macy parade? I haven't.

Only thing I don't like about it is the Left overs :glare:
and how we have the still a week after thankgiving.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

Oh we already have eggnog here. This is great.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I least appreciate the enthusiasm for the holidays, too bad no one will try to spread them apart a bit more, no holidays in august, seriously, halloween, thanksgiving, christmas? no break huh? Challenge accepted?

Sometimes i feel people don't have time to prepare they try rushing them all as if no time to explain. But i mean at least is acknowledged that is still there.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,
Reactions: DeoNaught
D

Deleted User

Really? That Eggnog is available in all my local 10 stores lol. Wanna switch states?

OT: Well, as the time grows nearer to December stores will put more Christmas stuff out. It's a good way to make a profit and family s will want to shop early for Christmas stuff.

Reactions: DeoNaught

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BORDEN'S EGGNOG IS "THE" EGGNOG! Just like butterball turkey is "THE" Thanksgiving turkey.:ph34r:

Still i guess i may have to go with turkey hill brand for now...

Honestly found that eggnog on sale at safeway here, Too bad I'm not old enough yet.
What you mean not old enough? There no age restriction on eggnog, not like is alcoholic, unless you put some in there. I sometimes put strawberry, or chocolate nesquick syrup in mine. :grog:

MUST FINE BORDEN'S EGGNOG. :blink:

Or maybe eggnog ice cream, or something. Such bad shopping this year.:unsure:

DeoNaught

OP
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
What you mean not old enough? There no age restriction on eggnog, not like is alcoholic, unless you put some in there. I sometimes put strawberry, or chocolate nesquick syrup in mine. :grog:

MUST FINE BORDEN'S EGGNOG. :blink:

Or maybe eggnog ice cream, or something. Such bad shopping this year.:unsure:
Oh NVm then,
I thought that one was. eggnog ice cream sounds good sorta,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh NVm then,
I thought that one was. eggnog ice cream sounds good sorta,
I honestly don't know any stores that sell egg nog with alcohol, i been drinking same recipe borden's eggnog for thanksgiving since i was 10 During macy parade. :)

Now all the other eggnog brands wanna show up in my stores and start charging like $5 for only 32ounce containers, :glare:

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
actually the pagan version, is where you would Sacrifice a child, to a god, and then you would eat the child in a feast(usually more then one).
History... fun isn't it.
Expect you are mostly wrong. Christmas is based off several Pagan holidays, but mostly from Yule
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule
I can only find Cracked.com and sites referring to Crack.com as their source when talking about human sacrifice.
But of course, each tribe did have their version, but I can't find any real reference to cannibalism.

Last edited by The Catboy,

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Expect you are mostly wrong. Christmas is based off several Pagan holidays, but mostly from Yule
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule
I can only find Cracked.com and sites referring to Crack.com as their source when talking about human sacrifice.
But of course, each tribe did have their version, but I can't find any real reference to cannibalism.
That's interesting. I'm pretty sure I read this name before, somewhere.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself