Hardware Can the Wii be used as accespoint for the DS?

Harglowe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As I still have no Wi-Fi connector for my DS and I'd rather not want to set up a wireless network, I was planning to connect my Wii to a wired router, which in turn I will connect to my cable modem.

Does anyone know if the Wii, in such a setup, can be used as accespoint for the DS?

I browsed the net for a bit, but haven't found an (official) answer.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Straight out the box there is no chance of this because the Wii doesn't have a wired port.

With the USB adaptor it is possible nothing has been said beyond that the DS can connect wirelessly to the Wii. On one hand its really handy for DS owners without Windows (for the WiFi adaptor) or a wireless AP, but on the other hand Nintendo have released the WiFi adaptor and this could interfere with their sales.

Harglowe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Erm..... bit vague in my OP....I am planning to connect the Wii with the Nintendo's USB-to-Ethernet Adapter to my wired router.

nunofgs

Trophies
Website
nunofgs.fecktory.com
XP
Country
Straight out the box there is no chance of this because the Wii doesn't have a wired port.

With the USB adaptor it is possible nothing has been said beyond that the DS can connect wirelessly to the Wii. On one hand its really handy for DS owners without Windows (for the WiFi adaptor) or a wireless AP, but on the other hand Nintendo have released the WiFi adaptor and this could interfere with their sales.

Why is there no chance? They could set it at as an AP Repeater. There just needs to be an available AP signal for it to repeat. But if there is already a signal, why not connect directly to it from the DS?

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If it worked like that then its possible, but this was somewhere with no wireless AP.
And like you said, why not connect it directly to the AP in the first place.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It won't be a possiblity out-of-the-box, but Nintendo has stated that they will be releasing an Ethernet kit for the Wii in the near future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E