Hacking can i sell a moded wii on ebay and not get arrested?

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ilive2frag said:
Try craigslist for maybe half of what you were asking for. Seriously why is everyone all over this guy for pirating when we're all in a WII HACKING FORUM!!

Because hacking doesn't equal pirating. they are two separate things and just because you hack doesn't mean you have or need to pirate. there are other uses.

QUOTE1. You don't sell "piracy", you sell pirated things.
2. Pirate because you don't have money is considered logical by several people because it eliminates the need to pay for a game to enjoy it.
3. Stealing and Piracy are completely separate things. Stealing removes the original, while piracy makes a copy of it.
1)sorry for the mistake
2)that doesn't mean it's legal or morally right, especially from a business stand point where they need to make profit to keep the company alive and pay for the employees.
3)piracy is a form of stealing. may not mean the same thing verbally but it's almost the exact same result and purpose if you ask me. Also, piracy doesn't mean you need to have the original, thus how it is stealing.

sl33p

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ilive2frag said:
Try craigslist for maybe half of what you were asking for. Seriously why is everyone all over this guy for pirating when we're all in a WII HACKING FORUM!!

Exactly. A Wii hacking forum. Hacking != piracy. Hacking allows you to run arbitrary code on the Wii. Some of the code that has been written allows you to run pirated games. Some of it lets you emulate other systems. Some code allows you to run media players, homebrew games, google earth, etc. If you want to pirate games for yourself and your buddies, well, it's an area that we can have a long drawn out discussion on morality and such about. However it is ALWAYS wrong to sell and profit other peoples' work as your own. The fact of the matter is that people aren't even bitching at him that he pirated. The problem they have is that he is SELLING pirated games and suggested that he would con people on ebay by telling them they were originals. That is what the issue is.

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
1)sorry for the mistake
2)that doesn't mean it's legal or morally right, especially from a business stand point where they need to make profit to keep the company alive and pay for the employees.
3)piracy is a form of stealing. may not mean the same thing verbally but it's almost the exact same result and purpose if you ask me. Also, piracy doesn't mean you need to have the original, thus how it is stealing.

2. I didn't say it did. I just said that not everyone would consider it dumb as you stated. I said nothing about the legality of it, and morality is not universal. Not everyone's morals classify pirating as wrong.
3. Perhaps it's a form of ripping someone off, but piracy is still not stealing. Theft is still defined as taking the property of another without their permission.

The purpose of them may be the same, to play the game without paying, but they are still completely different things. They are different in the legal system just as they are different in morals.

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
stealing intellectual property is theft.......no matter what you wanna call it phir....and if you don't believe me try selling one of them burned disks yourself , and see what happens , ( by sell I mean make it public , like ebay) (not one of your friends) the difference between the 2 is about getting caught...... and as for piracy , true piracy is about changing something enough to call it your own.....apple an microsoft are both guilty of it , don't believe me look it up yourself......and for you people to lazy to look up the truth , there is a movie called (pirates of silicon valley) some of the movie is fabricated , but it has some truth to it.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$700?
i once sold a wii i found in the trash that i modded to use a hardrive to load games because the dvd drive was broken(well it may have been jammed i didn't open it up and check.
i only sold it for $130 with no cables and a 16gig flash drive (with no pirated games on it).
(Sarcasm )
wow i should have sold it for at least $400 according to your standards, and hell forget that we're still pretty much in a depression and people don't have that much money to spend on things.
(end of Sarcasm)
really get real and actual price of a soft modded with that is used and didn't cost you anything more to mod is still the same as a used wii that isn't soft modded.
you'll get about $200 bucks for the wii used with no extras just 1x wiimote and 1x nunchuk with cables plus maybe wiisports.
even with extra controllers i wouldn't sell it for more than $300 dollars especially not with pirated games.

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
air2004 said:
stealing intellectual property is theft.......no matter what you wanna call it phir....and if you don't believe me try selling one of them burned disks yourself , and see what happens , ( by sell I mean make it public , like ebay) (not one of your friends) the difference between the 2 is about getting caught...... and as for piracy , true piracy is about changing something enough to call it your own.....apple an microsoft are both guilty of it , don't believe me look it up yourself......and for you people to lazy to look up the truth , there is a movie called (pirates of silicon valley) some of the movie is fabricated , but it has some truth to it.

Changing the definition of theft in your own views doesn't change the definition of the word. There is a reason there are distinct words for each one.

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://e-library.net/articles/RSS/Thought-...erty-Rights.htm

Intellectual property... now there's a real 90's deal. Copyrights, trade marks, patents, have been about for a long while, and are generally understood by most people. However, those legalities didn't cover concepts, in need of protection, since the exploration of the virtual world, commenced.

When the Net was born, the transmission of ideas exploded. All of a sudden, there was a whole new realm of possibilities to be explored. Idea guys were suddenly in high demand, and the money began to flow.

In the spirit of competition, we discovered a need to protect ideas, thought processes, and credit card numbers. So, the government stepped in and wrote several laws, to protect what is in your head.

Intellectual Property is defined as:

n.

"A product of the intellect, that has commercial value, including proprietary property such as, literary or artisic works, and notional property, such as patenets, appellations of origins, business methods, and industrial processes."

"Intangible property that is the result of creative thinking (such as, patents, trademarks, or copyrights)."

"The ownership of ideas and control over the tangible, or virtual representations of those ideas..."

Concept stealing is a problem that is not actually talked simply about much, but it does exist. Remember once Bill Gates introduced Windows, and Steve Jobs defendant him of cacophonous off Apple?

With the Net representing endless possibilities for creativity, it would-be only stand to reason, that cases of idea stealing should rise, as competition for dominating market shares increases.

If you've got marketable ideas, you'd better cognize your rights and responsibilities. If you don't, you'll kick yourself once causal agency steals your million dollar idea out from under you. You need to be wrongfully protected and aware in cyberspace, simply as you must in the real world. There are folk out there, that would-be rather steal your idea than move up with thing original, on their own.

If your desire to succeed brings you to the consideration of wire-tapping causal agency else's brain waves, and production off with their ideas, you should catch up on your reading a bit. The government has taken this matter to heart, and legislated it pretty intensely. You should cognize your rights as an Net Intellectual, and the penalties for idea stealing.

"The Economic Spying Act of 1996 ("EEA") contains two separate provisions that criminalize the stealing or misappropriation of trade secrets. The 1st provision, statute at 18 U.S.C. ? 1831(a), is directed towards foreign economic spying and requires that the stealing of the trade private secret be done to benefit a foreign government, instrumentality, or agent. It states:
(a) In general. -- Whoever, intending or knowing that the offense wish benefit any foreign government, foreign instrumentality, or foreign agent, wittingly -
** (1) steals, or without authorization appropriates, takes, carries away, or conceals, or by fraud, artifice, or deception obtains a trade secret;
** (2) without authorization copies, duplicates, sketches, draws, photographs, downloads, uploads, alters, destroys, photocopies, replicates, transmits, delivers, sends, mails, communicates, or conveys a trade secret;
** (3) receives, buys, or possesses a trade secret, knowing the same to have been purloined or appropriated, obtained, or regenerate without authorization;
** (4) attempts to commit any offense represented in any of paragraphs (1) through (3); or
** (5) conspires with one or more else persons to commit any offense represented in any of paragraphs (1) through (3), and one or more of such person do any act to effect the object of the conspiracy, shall, except as provided in segment (b), be punished not more than $500,000 or jailed not more than 15 years, or both.
In contrast, the second provision, 18 U.S.C. ? 1832, does criminal the commercial stealing of trade secrets, carried out for strictly economic or commercial advantage:

(a) Whoever, with intent to convert a trade secret, that is related to or enclosed in a product that is make for or placed in interstate or foreign commerce, to the economic benefit of anyone else than the owner thereof, and intending or knowing that the offense wish injure any owner of that trade secret, wittingly --
** (1) steals, or without authorization appropriates, takes, carries away, or conceals, or by fraud, artifice, or deception obtains such information;
** (2) without authorization copies, duplicates, sketches, draws, photographs, downloads, uploads, alters, destroys, photocopies, replicates, transmits, delivers, sends, mails, communicates, or conveys such information;
** (3) receives, buys, or possesses such information, knowing the same to have been purloined or appropriated, obtained, or regenerate without authorization;
** (4) attempts to commit any offense represented in paragraphs (1) through (3); or
** (5) conspires with one or more else persons to commit any offense represented in paragraphs (1) through (3), and one or more of such persons do any act to effect the object of the conspiracy, shall, except as provided in segment (b), be punished under this title or jailed not more than 10 years, or both.

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[url=http://www.libraryindex.com/pages/1453/Tec...ERTY-THEFT.html]http://www.libraryindex.com/pages/1453/Tec...ERTY-THEFT.html[/url]

Intellectual property, which includes such copyrighted material as games, software, and movies, is a huge part of the U.S. economy. The industries that produced copyrighted material in 2002 contributed 6% ($626.6 billion) to the domestic economy of the United States and employed roughly 4% of the U.S. workforce, according to the Report of the Department of Justice's Task Force on Intellectual Property (October 2004). The task force further reported that between 1997 and 2002, the copyright industries added workers at an annual rate of 1.33%, which exceeded overall U.S. job growth by 27%. These industries are important to the American economy and to the people employed in them; financial profit is vital for those who create music, video games, books, or software.

Intellectual property theft has posed perhaps the greatest single threat to the copyright industries since the 1990s. In the mid-1980s, pirating software and entertainment media on a large enough scale to make a profit demanded a large initial investment and a huge time commitment. Pirating movies, for instance, required large banks of VCRs along with hundreds of blank tapes. Copies of the movie were typically of much lower quality than the original, and national copyright laws made storing, selling, and distributing the bulky tapes very difficult. As a result, most pirated copies of movies, music, games or software were copied and distributed overseas in countries where copyright law was nonexistent or not enforced. Technological advances in the 1990s put an end to many of the hassles faced by intellectual property thieves. The Internet, along with powerful computers and the conversion of nearly every type of media into digital form, made copying and distributing intellectual property very easy even in the United States. Once a thief found a way around the copyright protection that existed on the copyrighted material, the computer provided an easy way to store the material. Since digital media do not degrade when copied, the thief could produce perfect duplicates. FTP file sites and peer-to-peer networks allowed for easy distribution of the media over the Internet to any country in the world.

The Justice Department report revealed that in 2002, intellectual property theft worldwide cost American companies $250 billion. The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) estimated that the movie industry lost

FIGURE 4.7

$3.5 billion in 2004. The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) reported losses in the music industry of roughly $4.2 billion per year in 2004. The MPAA estimated that during each month of 2003, 2.6 billion songs, movies, and software programs were distributed illegally over the Internet, representing a 25% increase in the theft of intellectual property since 1997.

Read more: [url=http://www.libraryindex.com/pages/1453/Tec...l#ixzz0LOZ10FVA]http://www.libraryindex.com/pages/1453/Tec...l#ixzz0LOZ10FVA[/url]

Posts merged

what phir ? how about you try an sell one of them burned games and then let me know what happens

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
you can but you cannot mention it's modded, chipped or modified in any way. dont worry though usually peeps contact you and ask if it is they did with me when i sold my ps2
tongue.gif

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dont mention the mod shit , 1st off if you put htat in the add it will be pulled ...I would just say that it can play almost anything you put in it

jphriendly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread hurts my brain.....Ow!
rolleyes.gif

(Seriously though, selling pirated material is a real dick move. If you need money that badly, work for it.)

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
air2004 said:
dont mention the mod shit , 1st off if you put htat in the add it will be pulled ...I would just say that it can play almost anything you put in it

you can't say that either if you even mention it can play something else it can't some asshole always reports you.

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mean it in a legal sense. I mean it by definition.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/steal

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/theft

None of those make any mention of pirating. And you cannot steal intellectual property, you pirate it. As I already stated, separate things. If I was stealing it, it would mean I was taking it without permission. It is not an object, I can't steal it.

People may want to morph those words into meaning that pirating is part of the definition, but the fact stands that I cannot steal something that isn't a physical thing. Example, Larceny and Piracy. They have different penalties because they are different things.

That, and I don't give a shit what pirating does to companies. I care about myself, my family, and my friends, not them.

QUOTE said:
what phir ? how about you try an sell one of them burned games and then let me know what happens

I already stated it wasn't a good idea to sell burned games in a previous post in this topic.

I am not stating that it's not illegal, I'm stating that it's different than stealing in the eyes of the law.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: