Can I purchase games from the eshop without a system update?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by sirgilmour, Jun 15, 2018 at 12:50 AM.

1. sirgilmour
    OP

sirgilmour GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    Canada
    Got my switch 5 minutes ago, it's on 4.1.0, i've seen that the latest update is 5.1.0 and read quickly that homebrew can be used up until 5.0.2.
    If i want "for now" to buy a game from the Eshop like Hollow Knight that came out today. Is there a way to do so without updating? Nor getting banned from a nintendo account.

2. snoofly

snoofly GBAtemp Fan

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Simple answer.. no.

3. Syren1

Syren1 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2017
    France
    You can buy a game on eShop via internet browser but I am not sure if download begin if you are < last firmware.

4. thealgorithm

thealgorithm GBAtemp Regular

Oct 27, 2015
    Homebrew is supported with the latest FW (5.10) as well as TX Pro/OS. There is no harm in updating to the latest version. Furthermore, as the effuse is not changed from 5.02 to 5.10, there is a way to actually downgrade back to 5.02 (but why?)

5. sirgilmour
    OP

Jul 16, 2013
    Canada
    So basically by now I have to buy a fuckload of games until the system is hackable and sell it with all the games to buy a new console and own it

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Cause on Ye Ol' 3DS I know we could access the eshop with homebrew without having to be on the latest update

6. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    You can certainly download games from the eShop using a CDN downloader but be warned that using it requires your console's unique certificate so Nintendo may ban you for simply using the tool

7. sirgilmour
    OP

Jul 16, 2013
    Canada
    hmmm, i got money, and so very little few titles that metroidvania fans like me could relish, i'll buy for now and see what happens when the switch is a stable fully owned puppet

8. Proto-Propski

Proto-Propski Legally Weird!

Apr 29, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Boulevard of Broken Meme's
    I wouldn't do that if I where you, most recorded bans ATM have been related to CDN downloading, it's not worth the risk if you can avoid it, so I'd wait for a latter OFW spoof using emuNAND (coming out with Atmosphere), or at least a more secure method for downloading, and installing back-ups latter down the road.

If you get banned now your emuNAND in the future will likely be banned as well, unless a method comes out that allows emuNAND/Horizon users to replace their banned CID with an unbanned one like with the PS3, which if Nintendo is doing the very least in security, then you'll at least have to buy a new Official CID from another console, and wouldn't be able to just make a fake CID as they'd have a copy of factory CID's that are approved for online play, again if their trying to be at the very least bit secure like the PS3 was with online.

Last edited by Proto-Propski, Jun 15, 2018 at 2:05 AM
  9. ut2k4master

ut2k4master Lord Tourettes

Feb 20, 2010
    Germany
    works for me on 5.0.2

10. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Soon, a method of upgrading to 5.1.0 will be released while preserving a downgrade path to whichever software version you were on (in your case, 4.1.0). If you can wait until then, that's an option for you. In addition, emuNAND is likely to be released in the near future.

If you're content with using a jig/AutoRCM to enter RCM and load CFW and/or homebrew, then it is safe to update to 5.1.0. The only reason to stay on 4.1.0 is to someday get a browser exploit that will allow you to load homebrew and/or CFW without RCM.

11. Chrona

Chrona Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2008
    Canada
    Nintendo would much rather you pirate their games if you're at all interested in staying low for homebrew. Giving you the option to give them money while staying on a lower firmware is just absurd

12. DollyWhipDoll

DollyWhipDoll GBAtemp Regular

May 18, 2018
    United States
    Some months ago, I went into the eShop and bought a game. I wasn't able do download it without an update, though. That wasn't happening.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice