Call of Duty: Modern Warfare revealed, reboots the series, has cross play and single player campaign

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 30, 2019.

1. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    cross play between pc-consoles?? mmm, are devs drunk?
    and you can't call modern shoter without Battle Royal mode!

2. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Bobby Kotick, the ever typical "Mister Hyper Stereotype" can't work out why people still hold CoD4 in such high regard.

And because it diesnt involve map packs, season passes, microtransactions, loot boxes, or what marketing and public relations like to call "recurrent user spending", he is on a mission to kill it off by any means necessary. Be that to pollute our nostalgia, or polluting search results so only the latest piece of shit release sharing the same name shows up for the masses. This is nothing more than a way to ensure internet search engines and discussions are all about the current flavor of the month. All from a dickhead who actually whined about people editing their photos to reveal his natural devil horns. Let that sink in for a bit.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

And they made it WORSE.

3. YoungGrumpyMan

YoungGrumpyMan Member

Newcomer
    May 4, 2019
    Portugal
    Man, I ALMOST bought it solely because of Blackout. Thankfully I think I was playing Marvel's Spider-man at the time and after that moved on to Red Dead without touching CoD and thank goodness for that. The microtransactions would have pissed me beyond belief.

Enviado do meu SM-N960F através do Tapatalk

4. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Another Huxleyian Dystopia
    These games bore me, bring on Half-Life 3!!!

codezer0 likes this.
  5. GhostLatte

GhostLatte GBAtemp's Official Van Master™

Mar 26, 2015
    Antarctica
    Why bother reply if you're just going to shit on the game lmao like find something better to do with your time

6. codezer0

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Because morons keep buying the game?
    Because Activision (and by extension, Bobby Kotick) takes advantage of so many international tax loopholes, that he (and they) not only paid zero income tax last year, but got such a stupidly large refund, it cost every tax paying American citizen $30 out of their refunds to fund *his* corporate return. So by that end, even for those of us who hate his crap and actively refuse to buy his products, are indirectly funding it, courtesy of Uncle Sam.

7. CeeDee

CeeDee Doing The Best I Can

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    I'd probably buy one of these if they actually bothered to port to Nintendo.

In other news I never play modern AAA games for that reason.

8. SpiffyJUNIOR

SpiffyJUNIOR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 13, 2016
    United States
    US
    Looks decent, might check it out a month or two after launch if it isn't riddled with DLC and microtransactions by then.

Spadezilla likes this.
  9. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Would it kill someone to hire a guy who could fucking name games?
    There are millions of other words. Use them.

10. Spadezilla

Spadezilla GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2013
    United States
    They've only announced it for PC, PS4, and XBone, but I hope it gets a proper Switch release.

Far too many times Nintendo has got the shit end of the stick with terrible COD ports done by 3rd parties, it's one of the best-selling titles of all time how fuckin hard can it be to just port it yourselves

11. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 16, 2017
    United States

IDK man. Are these games still turning a profit? As in, a profit like they did back in the day? I remember the day when, in middle and high school (think beginning of the 7th gen to the start of the 8th generation of consoles), this, Madden, and MAYBE Gears of War was all people talked about for the games they played. I remember catching up with a classmate of mine when Advanced Warfare was new and I guess he said it wasn't very good, which was a shame because it looked like the most "fresh" (as in, ripping off of Unreal Tournament and using the jetpacks to justify dodging) thing they were doing with COD at the time.

The last COD I played was BOII at the end of the 360's lifespan as being Microsoft's main console, and that was only because my brother was usually the one buying all of the DLC, games, XBL subscriptions, and the like. I played BOIII for a little bit just to appease an asshole of an acquaintance (I refuse to call him a friend) who got all triggered over yours truly putting together a gaming PC as opposed to getting the Xbox One in 2015, because the XBone was worth getting at that point. /s And that was before I had a regular job, so dedicating any and all of your income for a year just so you could build an entry level PC (read: Intel G3258 with a GTX 750 Ti and budget G.Skill 8GB of RAM with one of the sticks dying later on, with the HDD and PSU being presents) was a big deal for yours truly back then! And it only got better from there!

Elalexyzoner likes this.
  12. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    *laughs in European*

You're one wonderfully optimistic fellow .o.

13. codezer0

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Considering the tax haven he uses are in europe and taking advantage of some loopholes there, too, you're not getting any of the tax revenue, either.

All this for a guy who whinged and whined because people were revealing the devil horns in his photos. Maybe if he stopped acting like an overly exaggerated stereotype, he wouldn't be having so many quick to reveal what a fuckhead he is.

14. McWhiters9511

McWhiters9511 GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    havent played a cod game before, but i think looks like it may be my first.

15. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Tell nintendo to release machines tht can handle up to date COD then other parties wouldn't be wasting time porting

Orangy57 and Pipistrele like this.
  16. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    Preordering it for X, should be fun coop with friends along with an interesting 8-hour campaign.

17. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    New Jersey
    This sounds good as hell, if they can learn from their mistakes this will shape up to be another decent CoD since we haven't gotten a good one in 6 and a half years

18. TheMrIron2

TheMrIron2 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 5, 2017
    Ireland
    No, GoldenEye isn't backwards compatible - I actually tried putting the disc in just today to confirm, and it's not supported. GoldenEye N64 was going to get a 1080p 60FPS remaster for Xbox 360, but Nintendo interjected on the grounds of licensing and it never happened.

19. |<roni&g

|<roni&g GBAtemp Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    United States
    UK
    This COD needs to bring back the original/better menu style, get rid of any kind of “crate” we have to stop playing the game to open, opening those boxes means nothing but wasted time when it could just tell us during/at the end of the game that we’ve unlocked a new scope etc. Needless to say we don’t need our character dancing around doing stupid shit like fortnite characters.
    To sum it up
    -No loot boxes/crates of any kind
    -Original menus need to return
    -No stupid characters dancing around
    -Go back to the roots, remove battle royale mode and do what call of duty does/did when it was fresh before all the exo future BS

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Now I am all about a good UI in such games but I don't recall COD having a particularly good one. I want to be able to mess with loadouts when in a queue/waiting for next game, I want to be able to browse servers when in a queue or waiting for next game without losing my place, for my loadouts thing if I can have a basic idea of things (hold aim to get a target window say) like sight pictures and general feel. We would probably otherwise align on the "stop me having to press A/click 30 times to get to a new match" things such games have seemingly trended towards.

As far as unlocking addons... I don't mind a bonus box sort of thing. If nobody can buy them then I am OK with a "X kills/time to unlock as well as the end of round/at certain experience level bonus random box of stuff".

On back to roots then as long as they have a solid core mode I am quite up for some experimental options. For various Halo efforts and N64 Perfect Dark you could make some outright broken modes but I would sooner have the option than them attempting to streamline it and make it work whatever and thus limit my options considerably, or have to hope people play to "server rules" and mods are active. Said experimental options have often yielded some interesting modes -- stuff like gun master did not appear out of thin air as it were.
    As far as exo suits and the sorts of movement favoured in those games. I would say there is potential there, though nothing they ever did with it impressed me and basic movement still did what it needed to do/did better.