Not open for further replies.

rokumanxes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Twilight hack for Wii was great because it was for a title any respectable owner would have.
The 3DS has OoT3D, and any respectable person has it.

However, the Twilight Hack only worked because it tried to load "Epona's" name, which did it's stuff and whatnot.
You can't name your horse in OoT, but it occurred to me that there COULD be a similar way.
Now, this is the point where you call me stupid and ridicule me for bringing such baseless ideas to you, but here goes;

We can extract and inject .SAV files, or whatever it is that 3DS cards are using to save, right? I dunno about the encryption and all that, but I know there is at least one piece of data in the game that is wholly dependent on the user, and that's the Scarecrow's Song, which could only be stored in the save file for each specific game.

I dunno, buffer overflows and whatnot, or something.

rokumanxes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, damn. Sorry to waste your time.
Is there any 'scene' to be following here, yet?

Like, a good central area to go to, watch, and give input?
I know we're nowhere, yet, but still.

Thanks again.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Give me one reason why you want to screw this device in it's early times.

Your reason won't win from my arguments sorry.

my argument: If we hack it creators lose faith only shovelware will be released eg Imagine series.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason why that method worked was because of what was called the tweezer attack (it's where team twiizers got their name). Using a set of tweezers and a system setup to read the electrical impulses they were able to slowly read chunks of the Wii's memory and able to get the encryption keys.

These keys were used to decrypt/reencrypt the modified saves used for Twilight Princess.

Nintendo has learned from their mistakes with the 3DS and uses memory that can't be read by those means... so we currently don't have the keys necessary for a save exploit. Worst still, Nintendo learned in general not to allow their games on the 3DS to run in kernel mode (that is, able to access and modify system files) instead, each game runs in it's own instance... So even if we do get a working save game exploit at some point, it'll be limited to running in the current game mode... That means no piracy, no system modification, and no installation of custom software (you'd have to load the exploited game each time)

rokumanxes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One reason...
Hmm. I suppose...

To do with the device, what I, the consumer, wish to do, because I paid money for it.
I wanna open up the possibilities. I want to put my own GB/C/A or NES games on it, because I could have that option. I don't wanna wait until the end of it's lifecycle to enjoy this system.

Also, in response to your argument, the system has not been hacked... so why the hell do we have something like the "Imagine" series already?

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Dark Langin said:
Give me one reason why you want to screw this device in it's early times.

Your reason won't win from my arguments sorry.

my argument: If we hack it creators lose faith only shovelware will be released eg Imagine series.
I thought posts like this were over now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm against the 3DS being "hacked" but you should know by now that it just doesn't do anything to whine about it.
And there's shovelware already.

Now, to be on-topic, I guess it could be possible once save injection is. I don't think OoT 3D is gonna be the same as TP though.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is again the different instances... Unless Nintendo has a very faulty implementation, simply having a save exploit will only get us so far. Far enough to run some homebrew, but probably in a state that will be easily patchable since the main "OS" will be seperate and be able to monitor the running instance for such exploits.

We know for a fact that Nintendo has portions of the system in reserve, this is mostly so you can 'pause' the game and load up the web browser, etc... I would be very surprised indeed if Nintendo doesn't use some of those resources for just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: I don't have it you fucking monster