The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Today's Ctrl-Alt-Del update, take one:

(Zeke is a robot, BTW, disguised as a human.)

yPSlr.png

HA HA HA I GET IT, IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE BLACK PEOPLE ARE LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS AMIRITE LOL

One shitst backlash later:

nt7AA.jpg

"I know it's racist but I didn't really mean it so it's okay. But there, I'll be so gracious as to change it."

puPOV.png

"Still can't help but point out the disguise is black."

EDIT: Take three (yup, he edited it again):

D4NWp.png

...I'm sure if he keeps on editing it, he might get there, eventually.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Meh... I liked the first joke better.

Sorry to all you politically correct people (not really though), but it's the truth.
Black guys (and all women under the age of 25 lets say) are typically loud at movies.

This is like the QQ fest over Scott Adam's (Dilbert) post about a week ago.
http://tinysprout.tumblr.com/post/37136499...rt-deleted-post
It's the kind of "taboo truth" that most people know deep down but will deny agreeing with and even admitted to thinking because it's not socially acceptable.
Biggest bit of truth:
QUOTE said:
You might add to this list the entire area of manners. We take for granted that men should hold doors for women, and women should be served first in restaurants. Can you even imagine that situation in reverse?
I can't tell you how many times I've gotten a look or a slap or a "Hey!" or any combination there of from a lady friend because I didn't open a door for her.

I just wish more people had the balls to stand behind what they say, especially after they say it.

And before someone accuses me otherwise, I am very supportive of Women's Rights. I just know that equality cuts both ways, you can't demand to be treated fairly then complain when you're not treated differently.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
All I'm saying is, if you can't think of a joke without resorting to racial stereotypes, it's time to stop making comics.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I know I'm putting my neck out there, but I think this is a serious topic that should be addressed and not ignored.

Consider this video:

(Start watching at about 6:15)

I find it hilarious because it's true to a great extent. Anyone who says otherwise probably does not know very many African-Americans. I know that not all black people talk like that, but enough of them do that when someone points it out, you laugh because you've heard an African-American talk like that before. Exactly like that. It's the accuracy with which he imitates them that makes it so funny. Chances are, there were black people sitting in that audience. And chances are that they were probably laughing their asses off too. And he doesn't just make fun of black people--he makes fun of everyone. I'm Filipino, and I love his Filipino impersonations because he nails it right on the dot.

Then this guy on CAD posts a comic that takes a humorous jab at something that African-American males are known for doing (actually really tame compared to the N-bombs Mr. Peters was dropping all over the place), and he gets backlash in the comments by his readers. I don't understand it. Again, not all black people yell in movie theaters, but I'd be lying if I said I've never seen black people yelling in a theater before. That's not to say that people of other races don't yell in theaters, but I do tend to see black people yelling in theaters more often than I see people of other races. Is that a coincidence? Is it racist, or is it an objective observation?

He's not lighting a torch and getting a pitchfork and noose ready for a lynching. He's just acknowledging the differences in races that make them unique, and putting a humorous spin on it. Professional comedians have done it for a long time and they get paid well.

Maybe it's just my upbringing. I was born in Hawaii and raised in California, arguably two of the most culturally and ethnically diverse states, in the most culturally and ethnically diverse country in the world. Ethnically, I'm Filipino, but culturally, I'm Filipino and American. Maybe it's because I've spent my entire life bridging the gap between these two very different cultures that I have a different outlook from someone who was born and raised in a more homogeneous country, or even in a more homogeneous (or rather, less diverse) part of the US. I've grown up with friends of all races, and if I were to put all of my friends in a room, not one race would stand out as dominant. My girlfriend is a different race from my own (she's actually a mix of two different races, and so is everyone else in her entire family). Most of my relatives in my generation (brothers, cousins) are in relationships with people who are not Filipino. I take jabs at my friends' races, and they take jabs at mine. Does that make us racist? What's better, turning a blind eye to our differences, or seeing the differences in each other and making light of them? You tell me.

Racism does have a malevolent side, with the intent to harm and dehumanize. That, I do not condone. But there's another side to it that I believe actually brings us closer as humans. This comic was of the latter persuasion. There was no intent to harm, only to make others laugh. Perhaps at the expense of a certain race, sure. But surely every race has some unique quirk that may be unusual enough that others can't help but notice it and maybe joke about it.

Where I'm from, the word "Jap" is extremely offensive. I would never even think of calling a Japanese person the word "Jap," because that word was used in WWII propaganda against the Japanese-Americans living in the US at the time. The word was used to demean the Japanese and they were placed in internment camps. That word carries a hurtful connotation in California, where the majority of those internment camps used to be.

But here on this forum, everyone throws the word "Jap" around freely when referring to the Japanese version of a ROM. There's no intent to be racist, it's just a word that's faster to type than "Japanese." If I were to stand on a soapbox and preach about how you shouldn't be using the word "Jap," I'd get flamed for crazy talk. When someone says "will the Jap version of DQMJ2:P be translated into English?" I know he's not hating Japanese people when he says it.

My point is that intent is everything. The author of that comic didn't intend to hurt anyone, only to inject some humor into a certain behavior that perhaps many of you, myself and the author included, have witnessed before.

Back to CAD--I'm not a regular reader of that comic, so I don't have a good idea of what the content is usually like, and I have no idea about the demographics of the reader base. So if I'm off-base, then I'd like to be corrected.

I can understand peoples' indignation at jokes such as these, and I even appreciate it because it shows that (most) people on this forum are defensive of other peoples' races. It shows that we won't stand to see our fellow man be dehumanized, regardless of what color they may be. It tells me that we've all got each others' backs
smile.gif

But really, it's okay. You guys can make fun of my race, and I'll even laugh along with you if you're good enough, just like I (shamelessly) laughed my ass off when I watched Russell Peters' stand-up routine up there. I won't be angry as long as you don't seriously think I'm genetically inferior. But if you're of the minority who actually believes in ethnic cleansing and what-not, you can GTFO, you inbred motherfuckers
mad.gif
tl;dr: I think the original comic was just harmless fun. If you can celebrate the differences in everyone and be comfortable enough with them to laugh about it, there's nothing wrong with it. Just keepin' it real.

*EDIT 1*
These are the kinds of discussions I had in my cultural studies courses during my university years. Everyone has differing opinions and can only speak for their own experiences. Despite the differences, the discussions have always remained civil in the academic setting. I hope it's possible to have a mature discussion here as well. If anyone is willing to step up to the plate, just know that hate speech will be dealt with in the harshest way.

*EDIT 2*
On second thought I guess a discussion about racism here would be hijacking the topic. That isn't my intent. I just wanted to get this off my chest because I couldn't sleep without saying it.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Here's the point. He didn't put a humorous spin on it, he told it dead straight. "The stereotype is true to the point where a black person not acting according to the stereotype would stand out like a sober Irishman." And by calling all Irishmen drunkards I don't mean to insult any Irishman, I'm just being humorous. And technically I'm not saying they're all alcoholics, I'm just saying it would be extremely hard to find one that wasn't. But I'm just joking so that's fine.

You might be fine with exchanging quips with your friends and family, but that's because you know each other, you only say jokes like that because you know it won't offend them, and they aren't offended because they know you don't mean anything bad. My friends and I call each other stuff I won't even type here. That doesn't make it okay to yell those things at people in the street.

I won't argue the accuracy of various stereotypes here, I'll just say that people get offended, and have every right to be offended. So if you're going to make a joke entirely out of a racial stereotype told straight, you should expect some backlash.

Here's the latest version:

yVb5Z.png

EDIT:
Densetsu9000 said:
*EDIT 2*
On second thought I guess a discussion about racism here would be hijacking the topic. That isn't my intent. I just wanted to get this off my chest because I couldn't sleep without saying it.
We could still talk about stereotypes without derailing the thread. That's what it's about, I think.

The thing about stereotypes is the grain of truth coupled with tons of confirmation bias, silent majority and the fact that the vast majority of people in the world have an above average number of legs. But there's a difference between "there's a statistically significant increase in X within population A" (the truth), "members of population A tend to X" (the way people interpret and percieve that statistic, i.e. the stereotype), and "every single member of population A does X, to the point where a member that doesn't will attract attention and suspicion."

The statistic is dull and technical and overly politically correct. The stereotype is a gray area that people subscribe to and other people might object to but can't decidedly refute because of said statistic and the aforementioned grain of truth, making it true in general but wrong in most individual cases in particular. You can joke about that one (merely repeating it isn't a joke, though), you can discuss it. The last one is offensive, abusive and downright stupid. And that's the one used in the original comic. Hence the backlash.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
People just need to get over this shit. You can make stereotypical jokes without being racist.

I bet if the creator was black making a stereotypical joke about white people, no one would say shit.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
TwinRetro said:
People just need to get over this shit. You can make stereotypical jokes without being racist.
a) not if they're derogatory stereotypes, and
b) you should expect backlash if you do.

Oh and c), if you're resorting to racial stereotypes, maybe you should stop making comics.

I said that one already.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly thought the first one was the funniest.

Of course, that's not saying much when dealing with CAD. They all suck, the first one just sucks a bit less.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The sad thing is that stereotype jokes are generally bang on the truth about people. If people don't like them, then they can go smoke a fat one because stereotypes will always exist so long as people persist to continue being a target for it. For instance, it's a stereotype that people from India tend to work in convenience stores in North America, yet people want to cry foul at that stereotype despite the fact that it's true.

D

Deleted_171835

I seen this on reddit.

I didn't see anything wrong with the first comic. He's just poking fun at a stereotype. I found it quite amusing.

I was raised in a neighbourhood with people who originated from all places in the world and stereotypical jokes are made all the time. It has made me more tolerant of other races rather than making me intolerant.

Anybody who gets offended by this is too sensitive.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Original was way, way funnier.

I haven't read CAD in the past few months since it stopped being funny, but that's pretty great.
But of course, he had to be a pansy moron and ruin it.

Tis why I switched to Sequential Art. Best ever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.