Hardware C stick mod for 3ds and damage to the screen

TheMhanzLord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, I'm trying to find the best way to mod the stick for my 3ds and I've seen in this forum people mostly mentioning the psp 1000 stick or the thinkcap super low cap.
I wanted to ask:
1. Is ANY cheap psp stick the same? I saw a guy was pretty adamant about the Insten brand being the only good option and I really don't want my screen damaged. Or do I just need to be careful when installing it?
2. Did anyone have any problems with the Thinkpad caps? I saw some images with screens dented by the mod but none where with the a Thinkpad cap?

I welcome any advice you can give me, I wouldn't mind spending 10 bucks for one of the options if it works for good, it's years since I used the c stick and now it's barely responsive.

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’ve had the Thinkpad cap mod on my New 3DS XL for about a year or so now and it hasn’t damaged my upper screen at all; it takes up just about the same space as the default New 3DS C-stick (maybe even slightly less?).

Reactions: emcintosh

TheMhanzLord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I’ve had the Thinkpad cap mod on my New 3DS XL for about a year or so now and it hasn’t damaged my upper screen at all; it takes up just about the same space as the default New 3DS C-stick (maybe even slightly less?).
Is it the original ones or other brands?

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was these ones, specifically:

LeFix 3 x Super Low Profile Trackpoint Caps for Lenovo Thinkpad T460S T460P T470S T480s T490s E580 E590 X1 Carbon 4th 5th 6th Gen (Compatibility on The Description Page) https://a.co/d/7bno07w
Would you say the mod has given you any issues? I have the PSP stick mod, and it can cause my camera to drift depending on how its kinda been situated. Which is a shame as the original c-nub was drifting to begin with which is why I made the mod. And the mod does help, but it still isn't perfect.

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would you say the mod has given you any issues? I have the PSP stick mod, and it can cause my camera to drift depending on how its kinda been situated. Which is a shame as the original c-nub was drifting to begin with which is why I made the mod. And the mod does help, but it still isn't perfect.
Nope, no issues whatsoever. I love using it for Minecraft and Snake Eater, which was why I wanted to mod it in the first place since the C-stick wasn’t doing the job for me as far as camera movement and first-person aiming was concerned. Funny thing is, I actually switched to the Thinkpad caps because the PSP stick mod wasn’t really doing it for me.

Reactions: emcintosh

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Get Lenovo caps - they’re soft, so offer your finger better grip and have less chance of damaging the top screen. Plus their square hole fits well over the square post. I would recommend getting original Lenovo ones rather than knockoffs - the texture will last longer.

The PSP caps have a rectangular slot, so they only touch the square c-stick post on two sides. So you can expect the cap to slide in the other axis if there isn’t enough grip between the two plastic surfaces. I tried several PSP caps (including a set that included a wider tip like the circle pad, but I needed to file down the post and it never sat securely) and IIRC Insten were the most reliable.

Reactions: kenseiden

redfox45

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It was these ones, specifically:

LeFix 3 x Super Low Profile Trackpoint Caps for Lenovo Thinkpad T460S T460P T470S T480s T490s E580 E590 X1 Carbon 4th 5th 6th Gen (Compatibility on The Description Page)
Excellent suggestion. Fits like it was built for it.

I've tried both the PSP stick and this now and imo I actually prefer the PSP nub but both work way better than the original nub.
I found when testing first person aiming I was able to have noticably more precise control from the PSP stick and it was way more gentle on the thumb and the way it responds with the lightest of touches feels amazing, never had any stability problems as I was barely touching it.

Guess it all just comes down to what you're looking for. If you only need it for a third person camera the cap might be better as it's much smaller and more made to measure.

Reactions: kenseiden

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30