Buying new DS && AceKard, need advice.

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Shea68, Jul 25, 2012.

Jul 25, 2012
  1. Shea68
    OP

Newcomer Shea68 Newbie

United States
    So I am planning on buying a new DS and an Acekard to go with it. My main question over everything else is is there going to be a DS that is harder to use Acekard with or completely incompatible? I was thinking about buying a DSi or DS lite but didn't know if it would be able to run with acekard or how hard it is to set up etc. Another question I had is if I have a fat-styled OG DS(Model #: NTR-001) and ordered an aceKard now and then bought a new DS would it be compatible with both or just one? Would I just have to update the firmware on the aceKard once I swapped to the new DS? Thanks for any advice in advance looking forward to getting this going.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The DS and DS Lite work out of the box and don't have updates so it'll never be blocked on them.

However the DSi, DSi XL, 3DS, and 3DS XL do have firmware updates and do attempt to block flash carts (including the AK2i) every so often.
    Here's a thread explaining how it generally works.
    http://gbatemp.net/topic/315784-flash-carts-and-dsi3ds-updates/

Flash carts for the DSi/3DS will always work on the DS/Lite. As for the DSi/3DS firmware updates, a cart updates for 1.4.4 DSi will work on 1.4.3 and below as well, same sort of thing for the 3DS. Updated carts should work on both the DSi and 3DS at the same time, but seeing as the DSi and 3DS use different firmware updates at different times there may be times when your cart is updated for one but not another.

The safest thing to do is never update your DSi/3DS firmware (which means never using any DSi/3DS-specific online apps/tools/services) once your flash cart works.

3. Shea68
    OP

Newcomer Shea68 Newbie

United States
    Ahhh okay thanks for the info. So if I buy a AK2i from like RHS or wherever and it is updated for DSI I should be able to just play it on my current DS for the meantime, then when I get a DSi, say, it will work, or worse case scenario I would have to update the AK2i firmware for DSi?

4. Rydian

United States
    Correct. If you have a DS/Lite you can always use that to update the Acekard (since the DS/Lite will always run it).

5. Shea68
    OP

Newcomer Shea68 Newbie

United States
    Yeah just read your article about it! Nice thanks for the info man I am gonna go ahead and order one. Any site you would recommend? Fast & reliable? (relatively fast).

6. C-Kronos

Member C-Kronos GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Seeing as you're located in the US, I recommend realhotstuff for the AK2i; they have a free shipping option, with the cart only being priced at 18 USD. It'll come with a USB microsd reader, and it'll arrive in a few days since they're pretty dang fast when it comes to shipping. There may be less expensive options, but you'll usually end up waiting weeks to get what you've ordered. I've ordered my original R4, Acekard 2i, CycloDS Evolution, and DSTWO from RHS, and I haven't had an issue from them.

7. Rydian

United States
    Fast would mainly be import stores that keep some stock in north america. Modchipcentral.com has a storehouse in Canada and Realhotstuff.com has a storehouse in New Jersey so people often report getting carts from them within days (I got my AK2i from modchipcentral within three days by paying for the fast shipping).