Buying a DSi, What Flashcard To Buy?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Kyrue, Mar 13, 2009.

Mar 13, 2009
  1. Kyrue
    OP

Newcomer Kyrue Member

United States
  2. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    All of them are likely to stop working if Nintendo comes out with a firmware update. They all also work nearly identically to the non-DSi versions (Acekard 2i works just like an Acekard 2, DSTTi works just like a DSTT, etc) so you could probably want to base your decision on the Acekard 2, EZFlash V, and DSTT.

-Bri

3. Raven Darkheart

Member Raven Darkheart The Radioactive Flamer

United States
    just hold off getting the dsi till more teams get their hands on one

4. DJ91990

Member DJ91990 Dark-Type Trainer

United States
    Whatever. I also plan to get a DSi on Launch Dad (Because of the Sell tatics of the Wii...), I just want to know which of the three cards;
    Updates the most often
    What features each one has
    Compatible with YASU Menu DS?
    Cheat Support
    Moonshell Support?

If one dies out, then...They would not die out because of a firmware update for the DSi, it is hardware not software
    (and if it was software, why update? It would get a crack anyway. Duh!)

The DSi I chose to buy is the Jet Black one, (Cuz the blue one is Duke Blue *barf*)

It will set me back $170.00 + Tax for the DSi Alone! With the next card; I don't care about price, I want Features and will it last a good 5 years...the R4DS Firmware lasted 1 year, then died. If the DSi Flashcard I chose works with YASU Menu then that is a Win, as YASU updates his firmware every so often, the latest is 2/09/09 or something.
    DO NOT ASK WHERE TO OBTAIN URL FOR YASU DS DOWNLOAD. Find it yourself, Like I did. (It took me 5 hours!)

5. DJ91990

United States
    The purpose of my above post is because I bought a R4DS for my DS Lite just to have the firmware die out a year later.

I want Micro SD Support, Cheat Code Support (USRCHEAT.DAT), Skin Support, Constant Updating of Firmware, ROM Support, and information if it is compatible with YASU's YSMENU DS or not.

6. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    I would hold off on getting that flashcard, as it's been speculated that Ninty will come out with a new firmware blocking the exploit. If this happens, then depending on which flashcard you have (updatable boot code or not), you may be screwed.

7. Islay

Member Islay GBAtemp Fan

Ireland
    I say just get the best DS lite cart as in all likeliness they will update the card to work, also theres going to be custom firm ware, it happened with the psp, or maybe even a hardware fix like a psp.

also I think the updates are bull as there console is aimed at kids, kids can't update firm ware [​IMG]

8. DJ91990

United States
    Thanks dude. I'll just have a ROM-Less DSi, bah, you know what? I'll just get the DSTTi (If it works with YASU DS) and use that, and when (if Gantendo DARES) to update their firmware (you can factory reset it duh) then I'll just buy another flash card with my money (cuz when they do that, I should have a JOB by then.)

And why the hell would one need to update the DSi Firmware!? For Wii-I mean DSi Ware!? What's going to be so great about DSi Ware? It's not like BOB's GAME is going to be DSi Ware or anything like that.

(And I garentee that the DSi Ware will become hacked just like the Wii Ware did.)

9. redviper

Newcomer redviper Advanced Member

Germany
    The update could probably be included in game cartridges and installed automatically like on PSP or downloaded automatically when connecting to the interent. So you may don't even notice that your DSi is updating itself.

10. Melvinkooi

Member Melvinkooi GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    AK2I.
    Very good, and can run AKAOI. [​IMG]

11. imqchummy

Newcomer imqchummy Member

Canada
    The boot loader of the DSTTi is not updatable. In case of a firmware update on the DSi from Nintendo, this card might be useless. Acekard 2i and EZ Flash Vi boot loaders are updatable so I would pick one of these instead of the DSTTi. Until release date in NA, we still don't know what will work and what wont. Personnaly, I would go with the acekard because the interface is awesome and I love so sort my games in different folders(ex: RPG, Action, Racing). Normmatt and Smiths are very active on this site with AKAIO firmware.
    I'm a proud owner of an Acekard 2 and i don't regret it at all.

12. lilkerv90210

lilkerv90210 Newbie

go with the Acekard 2i i have one and it works perfectlly

13. Sanderino

Member Sanderino I guess you only know what you got 'till it's gone

Netherlands
    I woukdn't buy a flashcard now. Not now.
    You dunno if Nintendo can screw your cards up. And I think there are going to be more, better flashcards so..

14. kingdruid

Newcomer kingdruid Advanced Member

United States
    I bought an AK2I and it died after 1 week of using it on a DS Lite (Official Firmware). It just wouldn't read the card anymore. It wasn't worth paying the price to ship it back to DealExtreme so I opened it up to inspect it and see if maybe I had pushed a pin in or something. The hardware look perfectly fine with a magnifying glass so it must have just been bad hardware or corrupted software that killed the chip. I'd stay away from it if I was you.

15. halljames

Member halljames GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Has anyone confirmed that the DSi has updateable firmware, cos the original DS didnt?

16. alexkapi12

Newcomer alexkapi12 Advanced Member

Canada
    Yep it does.