Burning Question

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by africansk8er, Nov 16, 2008.

1. africansk8er
    OP

africansk8er Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2008
    United States
    I'm going to burn City Folk soon, and I'm trying to figure out how to do it. I have Sony DVD+R's, and I've read that you need to change the booktype to DVD-ROM so I'm trying to follow http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/set...burn_page1.html and using IMGBurn, but I get to the part where you have to pick your drive manufacturer but I can't find out what my drive manufacturer. So how do I find that out? And what speed should I burn at? Thanks!!

2. djtaz

djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Sep 21, 2008

right click My Computer and click properties - go to Device manager (in hardware tab in XP ) and then open the DVD ROM section

3. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
    right click my computer then go to hardware and look there , its listed

4. Xeijin

Xeijin GBAtemp Fan

Mar 25, 2007
    London, UK
    If that does not show it, you can also use a program called "Everest" which will give more detailed information on your computer/devices.

As for burn speed, I have always burned on 8x (with a cheap pack of 5 DVDs bought for 99p [read:less than a dollar]) and have never had any problems.

5. africansk8er
    OP

africansk8er Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2008
    United States
    OK, I figured out that my drive is LG, but now IMGburn gives me an error (Invalid Command Operation Code) when I try to change the booktype. I take it my driver is blocking changing booktypes or something...?

6. djtaz

Sep 21, 2008
    just get yourself DVD-R for the wii - no messing about

99p is €1.46

7. africansk8er
    OP

africansk8er Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2008
    United States
    Yeah, I guess I should probably just go out tomorrow and get some cheap ones. Also, do you think I should maybe burn it to a DVD+r anyways? Would it work?

8. djtaz

Sep 21, 2008
    It has for some people , but not for most - make sure its a game that can work first - a lot have lost a lot of discs testing games that just dont work

9. hetoan2

hetoan2 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2007
    United States
    if it is a 500mb iso and you have a 700mb CD-R could you burn it on that and have it work? or can the wii only read DVD-R's?

i really don't want to waste a full DVD if i could use a CD

10. BIG MOE

BIG MOE ๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™

Oct 19, 2008
    Syria
    Wiiland Hills
    yeah I guess we should make it a sticky

Verbatim DVD-r at x4 burning speed with any software that support copy image file = SUCCESSFUL BACKUP DISC

best regards

BIG MOE [​IMG]

11. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Member

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2008
    UKKK
    I have mainly been using DVD+R's and have had no problem. Before you go out and buy some DVD-R have you tried updating the firmware of your drive?

12. BIG MOE

Oct 19, 2008
    Syria
    Wiiland Hills

great if it works for you , but in general we say after many tests DVD-r is better to burn a Wii backup , now in some cases DVD+r works but with more problems , so DVD-r is generally better .

13. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Member

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2008
    UKKK
    when you bit-set your DVD+R discs it will work, without bitsetting it wont.

14. africansk8er
    OP

africansk8er Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2008
    United States
    I tried to burn it anyways without changing the booktype, and I get an error when I load it with the loader (error 324). I guess I'll be going out to get some DVD-r's.

15. BIG MOE

Oct 19, 2008
    Syria
    Wiiland Hills

again when you wanna direct a crowed into a good path you wanna be sure to chose the path that they can all go through it with less problems . and believe me 95% of the people don't know bit settings and what change your book type into dvd-rom is , and bottom line it will be more Qs and Answers that no need to , and the solution is DVD-R , vole

16. africansk8er
    OP

africansk8er Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2008
    United States
    One quick question, I want to install cIOS 36 rev 7, so can I just install it, or do I need to go in and uninstall an old cIOS?

17. BIG MOE

Oct 19, 2008
    Syria
    Wiiland Hills

it's better to uninstall first , so it's a cleaner install after that .