Building a MAME cabinet, and asking for some advice.

link459

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I need a cabinet to put all of the stuff in, and I really don't want to build one, so I was thinking of buying an old cabinet, gut it, paint it, and put my MAME set up in there.

Only thing is I don't know where to buy a cabinet.
wacko.gif

Does anyone know where I can find a cabinet for free or really cheap? Maybe one that's not working or missing a monitor or chips or something, because all I really need is the housing anyway, and I'd think that would make it cheaper.

Thanks.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
link459 said:
I need a cabinet to put all of the stuff in, and I really don't want to build one, so I was thinking of buying an old cabinet, gut it, paint it, and put my MAME set up in there.

wacko.gif

Does anyone know where I can find a cabinet for free or really cheap? Maybe one that's not working or missing a monitor or chips or something, because all I really need is the housing anyway, and I'd think that would make it cheaper.

Thanks.

google for MAME cabinets and you will find guides HOW TO BUILD THEM from scratch and how to make the gfx for the cabinet etc etc
smile.gif

edit just re read that about not wanting to build one ... not sure where you would get one for free ?? maby ask about at some local arcades etc
smile.gif

chuckstudios

Putting the pro in procrastination
Trophies
Website
www.schlarp.com
XP
Country
United States
Go on craigslist. Look up 'arcade'. On my craigslist (Raleigh), I see numerous people selling cabinets such as this one. If you're serious about this, I recommend looking into Maximus Arcade as a frontend. It's worked incredibly well for me as a 'sit down and play' type of menu system.

On the left is my arcade cabinet, which I won in a Mountain Dew contest:
hpim0737pl9fi4.jpg

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
chuckstudios said:
Go on craigslist. Look up 'arcade'. On my craigslist (Raleigh), I see numerous people selling cabinets such as this one. If you're serious about this, I recommend looking into Maximus Arcade as a frontend. It's worked incredibly well for me as a 'sit down and play' type of menu system.

On the left is my arcade cabinet, which I won in a Mountain Dew contest:
hpim0737pl9fi4.jpg

Sweet, you've got the cabinet now. What's it like? It looks pretty good in the picture.

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is beautiful!
And it actually just shows from the computer!
Easy setup for games... very nice.
Could even play Flash Games like Pang96 with arcade controls.
That'd be fun.

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
link459 said:

wacko.gif

Thanks.

Check rec.games.video.arcade.collecting. Many people post there when they are going to throw away old gutted cabinets. Also make a post requesting an empty cabinet and make sure you indicate what your location is. You may be surprised by the results if there are lots of collectors in your area.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Try the local arcades and ask them about old cabinets depots, or ask for their repairing service number. Then ask the repairing service if they have some old cabinet they have to trash away.

A lot of times they have old ('80s or '90s) cabinets left to rot in old deposits, and will ask from zero to ridiculous sums for taking away one. After all you're doing them a favour taking one away
wink.gif

It won't be in the best of shapes, but most of times they're still usable
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.acepcs.com/products/wizbox-g-mini-pc-amd-r7-7735hs lol wizbox