Gaming [BS] Are Retro making a Wii U Star Fox? Metroid? BOTH?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We will never see a Other M sequel. Unless something sells remarkably well, Nintendo tends not to make sequels on bad games.

I hated the game mechanics on that title, controlling Samus was terrible & switching from perspective was done in a clumsy way too. Man the more I think about that game, the more I hate it.

I'm amazed no one at Nintendo didn't step in to kill it, I know they don't really care about Metroid much over in Japan but this has always been a solid series in the West.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We will never see a Other M sequel. Unless something sells remarkably well, Nintendo tends not to make sequels on bad games.

I hated the game mechanics on that title, controlling Samus was terrible & switching from perspective was done in a clumsy way too. Man the more I think about that game, the more I hate it.

I'm amazed no one at Nintendo didn't step in to kill it, I know they don't really care about Metroid much over in Japan but this has always been a solid series in the West.

I'm guessing they didn't kill it because it appealed to a Japanese demographic. In terms of storytelling it was a lot more like Japanese RPGs, being heavy on CGI cutscenes, rather than it previously was more like western games (like Half Life, which was able to tell a story and give the main protagonist character through subtlety and conclusions drawn by the player). Gameplay was a lot more "Japanese" since it was less first person shooter-y and more Ninja Gaiden-y.

But the game was shit because, even compared to JRPGs (which I never considered masterful in storytelling), the story and characters ranged from bland to outright horrid and the gameplay was actually nothing like the games it was trying to emulate. It was their attempt to make Metroid more Japanese and it flopped hard on western fans.

I really hope they bury this title and never mention it again.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don`t really want too much of this discussion to be about Other M again, since the topic is quite old but I always thought how it handles the dodging and shooting and how the directions are maintained even when you don`t run straight was very well made and overall fitting. The Speed Booster for example was particularly good implemented!

Combat-wise I agree, that the first person mode was unnecessary but as an option for searching and exploration I thought it was awesome. Still imo an amazing game that was a little hindered by the lack of exploration and an unnecessary story...

Imo I still hope Retro moves on from Metroid. Personally I think it`s time for a traditional Metroid on 3DS...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don`t really want too much of this discussion to be about Other M again, since the topic is quite old but I always thought how it handles the dodging and shooting and how the directions are maintained even when you don`t run straight was very well made and overall fitting. The Speed Booster for example was particularly good implemented!

Combat-wise I agree, that the first person mode was unnecessary but as an option for searching and exploration I thought it was awesome. Still imo an amazing game that was a little hindered by the lack of exploration and an unnecessary story...

Imo I still hope Retro moves on from Metroid. Personally I think it`s time for a traditional Metroid on 3DS...

The dodging didn't even require skill. I literally just mashed the buttons on the D-Pad and my character would dodge every attack. You do that in any type of Ninja Gaiden or DMC game your ass is gonna get smacked so hard that you'll be tasting shit in your throat.

Also shooting was a mindless button masher. I guess the people who designed Other M forgot that part of what makes the Ninja Gaidens and DMCs of the world works is the use of other weapons. Being able to switch between your different weapons for different situations and everything else. Other M, you pretty much have like the blaster and missiles are too much of a pain to use unless you have to.

The first person "detective" bits were a mess. They give you no clues as to what you're looking for. Like you really wanted me to find GREEN blood on GREEN grass. Really? Often times they just throw you into these scenarios and you're stuck looking around wildly for god knows how long until you strike it lucky or look up a tutorial.

Don't even get me started on the story.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc