[BS] Are Retro making a Wii U Star Fox? Metroid? BOTH?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by Hadrian, May 19, 2012.

1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Sounds fucking stupid to me but I'm posting this for "the lols".

Anyway there is a rumour going around that somebody knows what Wii U title that Retro Studios (Metroid Prime, DK Country Returns) are working on and that this rumour will be revealed sometime today...well this is the first of them!

Don't get me wrong I reckon Retro could pull something like this off...but it sounds like a really bad idea. The two worlds just don't blend together at all but still crazier things have happened but personally I'd rather Retro did something all new. They've spent the last 11 years making three Metroid games, Donkey Kong Country Returns and recently helped with Mario Kart 7. Personally I feel that Nintendo should let them make something all new for the Wii U...that or get them to make a new Startropics game.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/05/05/retro-studios-working-on-star-fox-wii-u/

2. frogboy

Member frogboy lacking both style and grace

United States
    The only two things these two games have in common is battling in space, and flying in space. What makes them think that combining the two franchises will be a good idea?

3. chavosaur

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    I guess they thought eventually the universes would collide since they're both in space :P Im with y'all though, I don't see why this crossover is being done. Its like putting kirby in hyrule... then again, sword kirby would fit rather nicely in hyrule. (I just discovered the next crossover title...)

4. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    I personally would love a Retro Studios Star Fox game and it seems to be the kind of project Nintendo would let them handle, a Metroid crossover however wouldn't make any sense.

The rumors are describing this as a game split up in two halves, one where you play on land as Samus and one in the air as Fox, fine they want to stay true to their roots.
    What I don't see is the reasoning behind having us switch between these two gameplay styles instead of making two separate titles, the fundamental elements that we want from either of the two series would most likely not be as focused as if it could have been. I don't think Nintendo would want to risk having another other m in terms of being too disconnected from what people want.

Sure a hint, easter egg or guest appearance of Samus in a Retro Studios Star Fox game should be expected since their known for the Prime series, but making a title with the two and at the same time keeping intact the core gameplay elements just makes this rumor seem very unlikely. Not to mention how in detail all this is for a pre E3 rumor.

Even if Star Fox seems to be a perfect match I'm even more curious about seeing them put their creativity into something completely new whether its a revival or new IP.

5. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Yeaah, no. Those game universes are extremely poor matches for each other. This will not happen.
    I'm betting that retro is making F-Zero

1 person likes this.
  6. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Please no, samus allready got raped by team ninja.

1 person likes this.
  7. rehevkor

Member rehevkor GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I call bullshit.

8. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Ha'

Funny enough this is the same source that leaked out Playstation all stars battle royal before anyone else. ;)

No, not the source of this article, the original source.

9. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    EDIT:

Hello scavenger, nope scabies didn't help out here either. Think of Ubisoft and some of their DS games, come on read the whole clue!

I was looking into the original source he is marking it as a rumour also he was the one who did the Rocksteady TMNT rumour which was debunked as fake. Also said that this was a pitch

http://paulgalenetwo...id-fusion-saga/

We'll know for sure after E3.

10. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Yep, playstation all stars battle royal was labelled as a fact, this is listed as a rumour, so yeah they aren't too sure themselves.

11. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    That's one way to kill two franchises with a single game.

5 people like this.
  12. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    sounds too crazy to work, the cross over between f zero and star fox barely works

13. matt1tude

Member matt1tude GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    F-Zero F-Zero F-Zero F-Zero F-Zero F-Zero F-Zero F-Zero, This game needs to be made on Wii U, Nintendo missed the opertunity to have an F-Zero Wii because they selfishly kept it away from the Wii so it didn't take the limelight away from Mario Kart as the number 1 online racing game which it would have taken.

Just imagine an F-Zero on Wii U, 30 person multipayer, voice and video chat (using the the Wii U camera as video chat for the top 5 racers down the left-hand side of the screen and voice chat for numbers 6-30 racers) it would be epic.

3 people like this.
  14. DDTarZan

Member DDTarZan Never getting laid again /s

United States
    Ehh, this game idea kinda screams Starfox Adventures. I appreciate how it basically says Retro is going to give a go at Starfox, but please, not as a crossover. I mean, Retro and Project Sora have a special place in my heart, and I think they should divide the games accordingly. Like Retro can keep Metroid and DK, but also give them Starfox. Or with Project Sora, they can keep Kid Icarus, but give them F-Zero. Or who knows? Maybe swap Starfox and F-Zero's developers. I dunno, it's like fantasy football for Nintendo fans.

But still, cheers to Retro making another possibly great game, or two, or still one. Hey - we'll find out at E3, that's all I give a fuck about.

15. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    This may end up true, base on this guy I watch you tube, who has basically been right.

16. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

8 people like this.
  17. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    this cannot be true!!!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I don't really see the downside to this.

On one hand you can have Star Fox (which I found a bit shallow) lifted up by strong Metroid mechanics. Plus Star Fox's inherent silliness will keep Samus from being a twat like she was in Other M.

If it's really that bad then you kill two franchises at once and be done with them. Hurray.

19. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    I'd much rather see a sequel to Other M with a bit more "openess" similar to Super Or Prime (being isolated and finding new abilities), since I thought the gameplay-mechanics were beyond amazing. Great overall translation of the 2D-gameplay into third-person. h

Crossover of series like this would be wouldn't work well imo. I think one shouldn't cross between genres if it isn't in a fighting game.

Also I highly doubt this!

20. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    The day I see an Other M sequel is the day I completely give up hope on Nintendo. Other M is probably the worst Metroid game out there.