Broken PS2 Slim disc drive?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Metotaku, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Metotaku
    OP

Metotaku Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2016
    United States
    I live near a game store that occasionally sells broken consoles for around $5, and I'll buy them, repair them, and either sell or keep them. A while back I picked up a PS2 slim model (SCPH-75001) with a broken disc drive. I thought it was just a faulty laser, which I know is common in fat models (my fat had a bad laser at one point). I had it sitting there for quite a while (mainly because I didn't have a power supply and I was too lazy to get one), and today I found a power supply for a good price (at the same place even) and got to work on it. When I turned it on, I noticed something bizarre, the drive did absolutely nothing. I looked into it and found that the sensor for the drive cover can go bad easily. I read to add a lot of pressure to the rear sensor, while simultaneously pressing the front one. Nothing. Then I did some more reading and to summarize what I found... If the laser is bad, the motor won't spin, but if the motor is bad, the laser won't do anything. That left me VERY confused, it could be anything. I even read that it could be the pot causing it (i'd rather not mess with that). If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do, please tell, I would appreciate it.

2. Lockstar91

Lockstar91 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2016
    Could be anything, that's why PS2 repairing was very expensive back in the day and you'd be better of buying a new console.

If you have the resources, your best bet is to fix everything 1 by 1 and see if it works after each fix, until you isolate the problem or problems.

Good luck :D