Hardware Broken joycon, old Switch - will buying a new one help?

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Quick history

- bought a Switch a year ago, turns out it was an old model / 1st generation (didnt know at the time)
- seven months later, left joycon had issues, it wouldn't sync wirelessly with the switch anymore. Tried every possible fix to no avail
- since warranty is only 6 months where I'm based, which is south east asia, I couldn't get it replaced or exchanged
- I had it repaired at a store, which cost me a fortune
- so far so good
- a month ago: the right joycon started doing the same. Exactly the same issue. No possible trick/fix helps. It needs a hardware repair too or something.

Now, I can't be bothered to get it repaired. The cost of having the two joycons repaired at the store is greater than buying a new set. If I repair the right one and somehow one of the joycons break down again later, it'll have been a waste.

I'm about to buy a new set of joycons. I'm keeping the old ones attached to the Switch, and the new set of joycons will be used for wireless play.

Now, here's my question.
Since my Switch is an old gen.
Since I'm buying these new joycons (official ones) which are hopefully latest-gen.
Am I at risk ? Could the new joycons become faulty eventually - because of the Switch itself?

Is this a bad move and I should just somehow ditch the switch and get a newer model ? they have become super expensive here due to high demand with covid-19, so I'd rather avoid it.

Last edited by Costello,

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't think it's necessary to buy a new Switch. As far as I know, the latest joycons doesn't have improvements, and the most far fetched I have heard it's that the newer models are "new revisions" but eventually are the same quality as the others. I would decide to buy a new pair of joycons, I guess that's the best option instead of buying a full set of new console.

As a side note, my right joycon stopped working yesterday, just died, like that. It doesn't charge, it doesn't get recognized by the console, just, nothing. Hell. Never happened anything like this before. I really like the concept, but they are very fragile. A shame, really.

Reactions: Costello

mesmeriize

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick history

- bought a Switch a year ago, turns out it was an old model / 1st generation (didnt know at the time)
- seven months later, left joycon had issues, it wouldn't sync wirelessly with the switch anymore. Tried every possible fix to no avail
- since warranty is only 6 months where I'm based, which is south east asia, I couldn't get it replaced or exchanged
- I had it repaired at a store, which cost me a fortune
- so far so good
- a month ago: the right joycon started doing the same. Exactly the same issue. No possible trick/fix helps. It needs a hardware repair too or something.

Now, I can't be bothered to get it repaired. The cost of having the two joycons repaired at the store is greater than buying a new set. If I repair the right one and somehow one of the joycons break down again later, it'll have been a waste.

I'm about to buy a new set of joycons. I'm keeping the old ones attached to the Switch, and the new set of joycons will be used for wireless play.

Now, here's my question.
Since my Switch is an old gen.
Since I'm buying these new joycons (official ones) which are hopefully latest-gen.
Am I at risk ? Could the new joycons become faulty eventually - because of the Switch itself?

Is this a bad move and I should just somehow ditch the switch and get a newer model ? they have become super expensive here due to high demand with covid-19, so I'd rather avoid it.
I did a quick Google search on your issue. If you hardly turn off your switch, it might be because of that so restart switch, update controllers and see if they work.

You could try holding the sync button and pairing it to your computers bluetooth to see if the bluetooth malfunction on the right controller. If that is the case then all you need are new controllers.

I just find it odd you've had the same issue with both controllers now so the main issue could be coming from the switch itself. Maybe you're using a 3rd party dock or you never turn off your switch? Did you buy your switch used?

Last edited by mesmeriize,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.