Hacking Broken DS (fat) upper screen

onetimeattack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. So a couple years ago someone I went to highschool gave me a NDS fat that had a broken top screen.

I stumbled upon it when I was cleaning the other day, and I ordered a replacement LCD screen and a set of screwdrivers.

So I gotta know, how difficult is it to replace the LCD screen? It just looks like I just gotta disassemble the case, unplug the ribbon cable, plug the ribbon cable on the new screen back in and put it back together. Did I forget anything?

This isn't my first time working with electronics, I used to do iPod repairs, and computer repairs.

DSC03206.jpg

DSC03203.jpg

Moduular511

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok you see those 4 rubber things? that are square shaped? Well, take those off and with a small screwdriver take the screws out. there you just opened the top screen.

onetimeattack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Moduular511 said:
ok you see those 4 rubber things? that are square shaped? Well, take those off and with a small screwdriver take the screws out. there you just opened the top screen.
I got that much. I'm a bit smarter than I appear
rolleyes.gif

So from there on I just unplug the ribbon cable and replace the screen?

Moduular511

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. thats all there is to it, The bottom screen however is a bit trickier, You gotta dismantle the whole thing plus you gotta deal with the digitizer. Be lucky it was the top screen. Lol.
How did it get broken anyways?

onetimeattack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Moduular511 said:
Yep. thats all there is to it, The bottom screen however is a bit trickier, You gotta dismantle the whole thing plus you gotta deal with the digitizer. Be lucky it was the top screen. Lol.
How did it get broken anyways?
Sounds good. I am quite thankful that it was the top screen. If all I have to do is dismantle the top piece of the shell, I should be good to go!

I'm not entirely sure how it got broken, as when he brought it to me was already done, but I do remember he used to carry it around in his back pocket. I'm sure he sat on it and broke it.

Theres no trauma to the case or to the screen cover, so I guess its good.

QUOTE(Steevsee @ Oct 4 2009, 11:52 PM) Yeah. Pretty straightfoward replacement. Just make sure you release the cable clamps properly.
Thanks for the advice!

I'm hoping this all goes well and that I soon have a working DS. The DS fat fits better in my hands than the DSL

So for under $20 I'll have a working DS!

onetimeattack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Moduular511 said:
Yeah but be sure to get a flash kart to play your game "backups".
Oh, I have several flash karts already haha. Also, I've got a DS Lite, but the DS Fat was just sitting in my room, under a thick layer of dust. I'll either use it or sell it.

I've got a...

Supercard SD (GBA)
2 x R4i Golds
1 x R4 SDHC
1 x DSTT (broken)

I actually sell flash cards locally.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol