Hacking Bricked Wii U

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "issues" you described here were fixed for https://wiiu.hacks.guide nearly a year ago.

1. CBHC / Haxchi use the built-in patches
2. Mocha is only used for browserhax users
3. RedNAND was completely removed
4. There's an entire SysNAND backup page....

Why are you claiming it's not updated without actually checking if it has been updated?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If you have issues with the way it's currently set-up, please inform me. I cannot fix problems I do not know about.

I receive essentially no bug-reports related to that site, so I can only assume it works for everyone just fine. I do not have the free time to constantly look through GPAtemp posts looking for issues.

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide_WiiU/issues <- this is a good place to give feedback
If you really want to keep score why don't you do a search on these forums and find out how many bricks were caused before you fixed it a year ago. I'm sorry you don't have time to keep it updated. Therein lies the issue. Most noobs have no idea what type of hack they even use because they just followed steps. Again, this isn't a one hack fits all scenario.

Plailect

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you really want to keep score why don't you do a search on these forums and find out how many bricks were caused before you fixed it a year ago. I'm sorry you don't have time to keep it updated. Therein lies the issue. Most noobs have no idea what type of hack they even use because they just followed steps. Again, this isn't a one hack fits all scenario.

Did you read any of what I said? At all?

Since you clearly haven't:

1. There are no issues with the guide that I'm aware of. Feel free to open issues if this is not the case.
2. You're telling people not to use it because of issues that used to exist (a year ago!), which you just assumed still existed for some reason without checking at all
3. I'm pretty sure that "not one hack fits all" is accurate, which is why the guide offers multiple options...
4. I do I have time to keep it updated, why do you keep implying it's not or saying I don't?
5. RedNAND failing to boot is by definition not a brick, because it's just RedNAND (and I still haven't had RedNAND on there in a year anyway!)

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

1. There are no issues with the guide that I'm aware of. Feel free to open issues if this is not the case.
2. You're telling people not to use it because of issues that used to exist (a year ago!), which you just assumed still existed for some reason without checking at all
3. I'm pretty sure that "not one hack fits all" is accurate, which is why the guide offers multiple options...
4. I do I have time to keep it updated, why do you keep implying it's not or saying I don't?
5. RedNAND failing to boot is by definition not a brick, because it's just RedNAND (and I still haven't had RedNAND on there in a year anyway!)
Just do your own research. I could list thread after thread if I really felt like showing you. I could write a novel on how that guide caused users to come here looking for help over the last 2 years. Im not interested in a pissing contest. There are already multiple experienced users on here that could do the same. Bundled SD packages... nope. Not a good idea. So you finally fixed it after months of misleading... good job! You finally added a nand backup section months after you should have... good job. I could go on and on.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

The problem we have with Wiiu guide is that about 75% of the bricks reported here are from people who use the guide that should be the first indication that something is massively wrong with the guide. Then we also have a huge number of threads about people who screwed up but did not brick and take a guess what guide they used. Yes Wiiu.guide once again and that should be the second indication that something os massively wrong with the guide. So let me quickly point out some things that are wrong with it.

First of all a good guide should explain the following in each step taken.

1. Why

This pretty much explains itself why is the guide telling you to do thos and what will be achieved by doing it.

If a guide tells you why then the end user is being educated into what is happening and goes a long way to preventing stupidity in the next step and in the future.

2. How

Again explains how to do what was described in step 1.

3. Do and dont.

Explains what you can and cant do after doing step 2 this is probably the most important step in any guide because you are telling the end user of any potential dangers ahead if they remove what has previously been done ect.

Wiiu.guide is 98% how with very little much info on why and do's and don'ts and the is the main reason so many people who use it are bricking or running into other issues.

Also on a slight side note in the vwii hacking section of the guide why do you tell people to use a modified ios80 for one its not needed at all and also about 95% of vWii bricks have been caused by people installing a modified ios 80.

Last edited by AmandaRose,
Reactions: Kafluke

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the modified IOS80 is needed ONLY if a user plan to install WAD to the official SD Menu.
which is very rare, and not needed by a lot of people.

If you think the majority of people use it, that's your right (same as I think majority are not). But explaining the reason they patch IOS80 and why it's needed is required.
Not installing if not needed, it's always better than editing an important IOS. Instead of forcing users to install it, maybe showing them alternatives FIRST and let them decide if they want to patch a system file when not required.

there are alternative to the SD menu and patching IOS80, like EmuNAND and Neek, it's a safest method.

Letting people decide IF they want to take the risk editing its system file, then guiding him to do it is good.
imposing everybody the same softmod setup is not good in my opinion.

same for making everybody install CBHC, while haxchi is enough. Not everybody need haxchi, hence not everybody need a permanent CFW either (some users like to keep their console clean and just use the browser hack when needed, see the thread about playing the DLC of zelda on OFW, there are lot of demands).

So, yes, the "noob guide" we have here might not be complete either, and still need more info how/why, we try to complete it little by little too, but we try to leave choices and explain why.
I plan to write an introduction to explain to users how the console is working, what signature check is, how it's used and when it's needed. Based on that info, they will be able to choose more easily the steps they need to follow.

Another thing I find bad in ALL guides, it's "what do to now?"
you know, once you followed the guide, then you are left alone, all by yourself and you don't know what you can do, or what you should do (or don't).
I feel like this with 3DS.guide, It's great to softmod and hack, but I don't find anything in the FAQ (frequently asked, really?) why choose ONE over another CFW, what LUMA can do (each features, and why they are useful, why the guide go with that CFW then if the other CFW could do the same, etc.) and I don't know what I can do once I have CFW. it's missing a section "now that you have CFW, here your possibilities !"
You also seems to be against gateway, and your guide force users to stop using it. there's no FAQ (really, FAQ has "frequent" in the name, nobody ask that on your side? because HERE we had it many times already) : how to have BOTH a CFW and gateway at the same time. maybe we could rename FAQ to QIA (Questions I choose to Answer)

I'd like seeing GUIDES that the users need or want, instead of forcing users to do things identical on all consoles and not allowing users to setup things the way they really want, based on what they want. (if someone want CFW+gateway, you should explain that, instead of forcing them to stop doing it THEIR way, without explaining why).

edit:
Note that I've nothing against you (Plailect), or your guide specifically. I only hope people get their answers and always want to help everyone the best I can, and always wish people can get the best help they want on any guide they follow.
I'd like people working together to make something great and reliable instead of people acting against each others and attacking or criticizing other's work.
We try to work together here on the "noob guide" and constantly update it based on user's report. working with you would be great too, priority to end users!
I just feel bad for people when they come asking for help here after following wiiu.guide :(
It just proves your guide doesn't provide enough help AFTER following it,that it's not explaining enough why they do something, what they get and why. people are lost after following it.

Edit2:
I have the same problem with the Wii guide WiiCompleteSoftmodGuide is telling users to do something wrong, and sooooo many users end here looking for help.
I Wish I could fix that guide so everybody have a working setup instead of following a broken guide...

Last edited by Cyan,

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the modified IOS80 is needed ONLY if a user plan to install WAD to the official SD Menu.

If you think the majority of people use it, explaining the reason it's installed and why it's needed is then required.
Not installing if not needed, it's always better than editing an important IOS.

An, there are alternative to the SD menu and patching IOS80, like EmuNAND and Neek, it's a safest method.

Letting people decide IF they want to take the risk editing its system file, then guiding him to do it is good.

same for making everybody install CBHC, while haxchi is enough. Not everybody need haxchi, hence not everybody need a permanent CFW either (some users like to keep their console clean and just use the browser hack when needed, see the thread about playing the DLC of zelda on OFW, there are lot of demands).

So, yes, the "noob guide" we have here might not be complete either, and still need more info how/why, we try to complete it little by little too, but we try to leave choices and explain why.

you know, once you followed the guide, then you are left alone, all by yourself and you don't know what you can do, or what you should do (or don't).
I feel like this with 3DS.guide, It's great to softmod and hack, but I don't find anything in the FAQ (frequently asked, really?) why choose LUMA over another CFW, what LUMA can do (each features, and why they are useful, why the guide go with that CFW then if the other CFW could do the same, etc.) and I don't know what I can do once I have CFW. it's missing a section "now that you have CFW, here your possibilities !"
Excatly what i was trying to say in my post but you said it much better lol.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually like the flow of @Plailect guide better than ours and the user reputation drives a lot of users there. It's too bad we can't work together on a "super" guide with the best of each. Like I have said in the past, i followed 3ds.guide and it was easy to follow but don't even try and ask me what hack I'm using on my 3ds because that was never really clear in the guide. Ah9 or a9l or something... Luna CFW? Sure I guess. I'd hate to run into any issues and actually try to troubleshoot a hack I know nothing about. Now I know how wiiu.guide users feel when they come here asking for help.

"I don't know... I turn it on and then I click my game to play..."

Plailect

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you think the majority of people use it, that's your right (same as I think majority are not). But explaining the reason they patch IOS80 and why it's needed is required.
Not installing if not needed, it's always better than editing an important IOS. Instead of forcing users to install it, maybe showing them alternatives FIRST and let them decide if they want to patch a system file when not required.

there are alternative to the SD menu and patching IOS80, like EmuNAND and Neek, it's a safest method.

I plan to write an introduction to explain to users how the console is working, what signature check is, how it's used and when it's needed. Based on that info, they will be able to choose more easily the steps they need to follow.

I feel like this with 3DS.guide, It's great to softmod and hack, but I don't find anything in the FAQ (frequently asked, really?) why choose ONE over another CFW, what LUMA can do (each features, and why they are useful, why the guide go with that CFW then if the other CFW could do the same, etc.) and I don't know what I can do once I have CFW. it's missing a section "now that you have CFW, here your possibilities !"
You also seems to be against gateway, and your guide force users to stop using it. there's no FAQ (really, FAQ has "frequent" in the name, nobody ask that on your side? because HERE we had it many times already) : how to have BOTH a CFW and gateway at the same time. maybe we could rename FAQ to QIA (Questions I choose to Answer)

I'd like seeing GUIDES that the users need or want, instead of forcing users to do things identical on all consoles and not allowing users to setup things the way they really want, based on what they want. (if someone want CFW+gateway, you should explain that, instead of forcing them to stop doing it THEIR way, without explaining why).

edit:
Note that I've nothing against you (Plailect), or your guide specifically. I only hope people get their answers and always want to help everyone the best I can, and always wish people can get the best help they want on any guide they follow.
I'd like people working together to make something great and reliable instead of people acting against each others and attacking or criticizing other's work.
We try to work together here on the "noob guide" and constantly update it based on user's report. working with you would be great too, priority to end users!
I just feel bad for people when they come asking for help here after following wiiu.guide :(
It just proves your guide doesn't provide enough help AFTER following it,that it's not explaining enough why they do something, what they get and why. people are lost after following it.

Edit2:
I have the same problem with the Wii guide WiiCompleteSoftmodGuide is telling users to do something wrong, and sooooo many users end here looking for help.
I Wish I could fix that guide so everybody have a working setup instead of following a broken guide...

I'll look at this more on depth this weekend. In the future, when you have suggestions or issues, please contact me with something like this. I'm happy to fix problems, but I can't do that when I don't know they exist.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
thank you for looking at it.
I always felt I couldn't reach you, or couldn't ask/suggest anything as it's external to the forum. But it's nice to see you are available too.

D

Deleted User

......... best guide brawl in history........
I do enjoy both of your guides btw... just to make that clear.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'll prepare some questions I have, and things I think could help users in the guide.
I didn't follow 3DS hacking recently, and I still have an unhacked 4.5.0 console.
I miss time, but I'll reread the guide once again to see if I have more concerns about it.

I'll do the same for wiiu, it should be easier for me to help as I'm still active here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...