Hacking Bricked Switch, can't enter RCM

paraskevas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I have a Nintendo Switch that's really bricked. It has AutoRCM enabled and was working fine, but one day it decided to die. It's not mine so I can't say for sure what happened.

Here's what I know:
  1. It has AutoRCM and it was working fine
  2. It died when it got plugged into a PC
  3. It seems to draw current (0.45A) when plugged in, it even gets somewhat warmer
  4. I've left it 3+ days charging at 0.45A, which got me thinking that its not really charging... I measured battery voltage with a multi-meter and it was at nominal voltage though
Here's what I've tried with no luck:
  • Tried injecting a payload trough TegraRcmGUI (double checked drivers / payload with my working Switch and it worked fine)
  • Tried using SX Pro, again without any luck
Can it be a hardware issue? How can I debug that? What else could I try to eliminate the possibility that it is a software brick?

Budsixz

Gbatemp Gamemer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I have a Nintendo Switch that's really bricked. It has AutoRCM enabled and was working fine, but one day it decided to die. It's not mine so I can't say for sure what happened.

Here's what I know:
  1. It has AutoRCM and it was working fine
  2. It died when it got plugged into a PC
  3. It seems to draw current (0.45A) when plugged in, it even gets somewhat warmer
  4. I've left it 3+ days charging at 0.45A, which got me thinking that its not really charging... I measured battery voltage with a multi-meter and it was at nominal voltage though
Here's what I've tried with no luck:
  • Tried injecting a payload trough TegraRcmGUI (double checked drivers / payload with my working Switch and it worked fine)
  • Tried using SX Pro, again without any luck
Can it be a hardware issue? How can I debug that? What else could I try to eliminate the possibility that it is a software brick?
The charge rate is considerably lower when charging via PC (in fact so slow that the battery goes down when I install via Goldleaf) and In RCM mode the switch charges slower still.
So try a proper switch charger and keep it charging for a while as it charges pretty slow in RCM mode
then you can push payload normally IMO (also make sure you got the latest payload)

Last edited by Budsixz,

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Maybe try to inject something like LockPickRCM to see if anything shows up?
That doesn't depend on anything other then being injected correctly.
A messed up SD card can cause funky behavior.

But if your battery is charged to nominal voltage, you might be looking at some hardware failure in the power circuit.
You don't happen to have a 3rd party dock as those were causing some damage to the charging circuit?
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...d_my_third_party_dockbricked_nintendo_switch/
Some repairshops can check this but they sometimes charge a lot for it.
Some of those 'I-bought-10-Switches-on-ebay' videos I watched often seem to point at failures in the power circuit.

City Hunter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You tried that probably already, but did you press the power button for 10-20 seconds so that the switch turns off and then press the power button shortly again to power it up again and then check with the PC if you can inject a payload?

paraskevas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The charge rate is considerably lower when charging via PC (in fact so slow that the battery goes down when I install via Goldleaf) and In RCM mode the switch charges slower still.
So try a proper switch charger and keep it charging for a while as it charges pretty slow in RCM mode
then you can push payload normally IMO (also make sure you got the latest payload)

I've left it for days on PC / original charger / powerbank. Its currently ~24h charging on an official dock and its warm to touch so its doing something.
I forgot to mention that when I put it on dock, the LED flashes and it switches input on my monitor. Not sure if it matters.

Maybe AutoRCM is not working. Did you try to inset jig to start RCM?

I've did, I treat it as AutoRCM is disabled

You tried that probably already, but did you press the power button for 10-20 seconds so that the switch turns off and then press the power button shortly again to power it up again and then check with the PC if you can inject a payload?

I've tried that too... PC doesn't seem to recognize it. Doesn't make sound. It recognizes my working switch. I've even tried different computers

Maybe try to inject something like LockPickRCM to see if anything shows up?
That doesn't depend on anything other then being injected correctly.
A messed up SD card can cause funky behavior.

But if your battery is charged to nominal voltage, you might be looking at some hardware failure in the power circuit.
You don't happen to have a 3rd party dock as those were causing some damage to the charging circuit?
[removed because it won't let me post]
Some repairshops can check this but they sometimes charge a lot for it.
Some of those 'I-bought-10-Switches-on-ebay' videos I watched often seem to point at failures in the power circuit.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot hw issues? For example what to measure, etc.

Budsixz

Gbatemp Gamemer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I've left it for days on PC / original charger / powerbank. Its currently ~24h charging on an official dock and its warm to touch so its doing something.
I forgot to mention that when I put it on dock, the LED flashes and it switches input on my monitor. Not sure if it matters.

I've did, I treat it as AutoRCM is disabled

I've tried that too... PC doesn't seem to recognize it. Doesn't make sound. It recognizes my working switch. I've even tried different computers

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot hw issues? For example what to measure, etc.
Your case sounds something like what this guy had
https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-wont-power-on-no-autorcm.547969/#post-8788309

paraskevas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Your case sounds something like what this guy had

I've just tried it. No luck at all. It now seems to "charge" @ 0.18A.

It drops to 0.01A when I press and hold the power button. It returns to 0.18A when I press power again.
Maybe it doesn't enter RCM but tries to boot CFW the original owner had and stalls because it doesn't find the required files?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night