• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

BREXIT [Poll] vote!

Should the UK leave the EU?

• Yes

Votes: 129 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 215 62.5%

• Total voters

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, that's fair. I guess if I were a UK citizen I would just be really concerned about diving headfirst into a decision with no roadmap ahead of you
Don't get me wrong, I'm very much undecided on the issue. Just the videos posted to this point haven't really done much to inform me on the issue. They're telling me it's a bad idea, but I've not been provided the information that, were I to review it, would lead me to conclude it's a bad idea.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't get me wrong, I'm very much undecided on the issue. Just the videos posted to this point haven't really done much to inform me on the issue. They're telling me it's a bad idea, but I've not been provided the information that, were I to review it, would lead me to conclude it's a bad idea.
Part of it is that a week ago I knew next to nothing about it, so I'm still playing catch-up lol

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Part of it is that a week ago I knew next to nothing about it, so I'm still playing catch-up lol
I didn't even know it was a thing until I stumbled across the John Oliver video, so I will credit it with that: it informed me that there was a referendum to leave the EU. Of course I would've found out this morning (as in Thursday) when it was mentioned on the radio as I was driving to work.

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not sure if this was a Joke or not but I think people who still think that Germany tries to conquer the world need to go see a doctor -.-V
And the EU is nothing governed by Germany even though I have to admit in German news they make it sound like Merkel has a saying in a lot of matters oO
It was a joke with a kernel of truth. I think that you'd have to be naïve to suggest that Germany (read: Merkel) doesn't have the primary influence on EU matters (especially immigration).

I somehow I don't get why you have an Australian Flag and speak like you are the number one British guy who ...
I may be Australian, but I have familial ties to the UK (as well as to Greece and Cyprus), so I feel it does give me reason to take interest in the EU, and probably does influence my views on it.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the British prices remain unchanged, then exchanging USD for BP with the current exchange rate would hypothetically make your money go further. Perhaps Steam is on top of that, though, and will adjust with the exchange rate accordingly.
I guess that's what I assumed they'd do, but maybe that won't be the case

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
What are you passionate about?...

Well, in my opinion, if i am willing to spend time debating on a gaming forum about something, as opposed to doing my regular tasks of a Friday afternoon, then i must feel quite strongly about it. Which in-turn translates into being passionate somewhat. Perhaps it was the wrong choice of words, but i needed it for the analogy :P

90% of the time it's because I'm already watching the thread and you comment on it later on down the line. 10% of the time it's because I stumble into the thread from the front page while you're saying something. Don't give yourself that much credit hon :^)

Aww, you've even got a pet name for me now? I feel special :P

By the way, you really slickly dodged the question I initially asked, regarding why the in/out referendum was a good idea in your eyes. Don't argue just for the sake of arguing, especially if it isn't productive

Apart from the odd slur about the regressive left and the occasional rant about transgender bathrooms, i don't generally share my political views in the public domain since the world is dominated by left-wing policies and some of them frighten me a touch, especially those policies regarding hate-speech (A.K.A The quashing of the first amendment) which has enabled the police to arrest somebody for speaking their mind on an online platforms. So allow me to don my tin-foil hat here and ask if we could continue the topic of Brexit in PM's?

I've been perusing Flipboard the last few weeks (and I have a relatively balanced set of sources, I should add. I could probably tune it better for international news, though), and I've heard various reasons why leaving would be a bad idea, but this is legit the first I've heard of it being an issue of race. I guess thank you for giving me that piece of info? I legitimately didn't know it before now

No worries mate, glad I could help :) And yes, balanced news sources are the key to being well informed. If somebody were getting their news primarily from Vox, Salon, Buzzfeed, MTV Decoded, wow, they would have a very warped view of the world and current political climate!

I'm on the other side of the political compass, but that doesn't mean i take everything written on Breitbart, Fox News etc. etc. as gospel either. I'm always dubious of everything.

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm glad this happened. This will be the best demonstration for nut-jobs of how devestating the results are. Maybe now that the big brake (preventing real reforms) and leech (not paying the same as everybody else: see Britain Rebate) is gone, the other countries can finally make some progress on making Europe more democratic.

Last edited by Uwabami,

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
the first amendment
Go back to America plz

In all seriousness though...
I'm always dubious of everything.
I feel similarly. Although, despite my disdain for the majority of the Left today, at the end of the day I do consider myself center-to-center-left, and I find many Right-wing commentators just as questionable and anti-freedom as Left ones, just in different ways.

Wherever one falls on the compass, the most important thing is for people to think for themselves, and make up their own minds by looking at evidence objectively.

D

Deleted User

I'm glad this happened. This will be the best demonstration for nut-jobs of how devestating the results are. Maybe now that the big brake (preventing real reforms) and leech (not paying the same as everybody else: see Britain Rebate) is gone, the other countries can finally make some progress on making Europe more democratic.
Devastation? This is pretty bad but it isn't "oh my god next war world III" like the left was saying.

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Devastation? This is pretty bad but it isn't "oh my god next war world III" like the left was saying.

I don't know what you're talking about. No one was talking about WW3. It will be devastating in the economical sense as well as for the UK as a whole. Scotland and Northern Ireland will most likely leave the UK to stay in the EU. The UK is history.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
FREEDOM! Great vote, Britons!

I am certainly looking forward to the upcoming economic and political instability. That's certainly worth the 'freedom'. Can someone actually explain to me what this 'freedom' will entail?

Gotta say, I'm pretty chuffed I called out Cameron's timeframe. BooYah on that.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Xiphiidae
look at this :
ipsos.PNG

You said that Germany wants to control all the EU countries trough the EU but than again 1/3 or the people here in Germany seem to want to leave too ... in your logic that would mean those people don't want their own country to be big .... I would say the they are actually just unhappy that the EU does NOT do what the German people would like it to do.

I would never want to leave the EU but I would prefer them to do important things instead of controlling how curved our bananas are allowed to be and forbidding my beloved Linda (potato) and stuff like this ... the EU did a lot of shit for me and wastes a big amount of money for politicians that go to work 1-2 days a week do nothing at all and get 10k€ a month ... still there are benefits.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU