BREXIT [Poll] vote!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Phantom64, May 27, 2016.

?

Should the UK leave the EU?

1. Yes

122 vote(s)
    37.2%
  2. No

206 vote(s)
    62.8%
  1. Phantom64
    OP

Phantom64 Banned

Banned
    Aug 18, 2015
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Last edited by Phantom64, Jun 25, 2016 - Reason: update on results
    B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N likes this.

2. Phantom64
    OP

Phantom64 Banned

Banned
    Aug 18, 2015
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    i'll bump this thread every 5 votes-
    (i think this is one of my rare serious thread)

3. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    linux-zen
    god save the queen

smileyhead likes this.
  4. Feeling it!

Feeling it! Pure Logical Feels.

Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    Running.
    I think the world should leave the UN.

5. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    Probably should have posted it in 'General Off Topic', then!

Phantom64 likes this.
  6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    The fascist regime?

I don't place any value in word association as a psychological test for anything other than being a good indicator that someone is not braindead if they make a meaningful response, that said "the fascist regime" would be mine if someone says that.

For a more serious reply then I will not be voting, mainly as I have never bothered before and see no point in starting now. If I had to think about it then nobody has mad a convincing argument that there is a sensible exit plan in place and "it'll be all right on the night" is not a thing I can get behind. I could see how it might be better for some, the question is how much and what about whether it is better for Europe (I like Europe, some good people there)? I could also see how it could be worse and much like I have never seen taxes go down I have also never seen charitable/public works/funding sources reorganise to anything other than making the people holding the pot more money. Everybody involved also seems to have taken a page from the playbook of the septics as well as we have simplistic vote blah on blah, rhetoric up the arse, fallacies too (the whole Brussels sets our laws stuff irritates immensely) and no sensible debates or anything. I thought it was bad when the political parties discovered the internet and also found they could skirt many restrictions placed on more traditional forms of media. I don't imagine an exit from Europe would be apocalyptic and I don't see staying as a bad thing either. To that end in the absence of a compelling reason to leave I guess that would determine what I voted for, if I voted.

Edit. Might as well stick it in GOT.

7. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    linux-zen
    "The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

lampdemon and Feeling it! like this.
  8. Feeling it!

Feeling it! Pure Logical Feels.

Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    Running.
    Sex pistols? that is my favourite stand in jojo part5.

9. Frederica Bernkastel

Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

Jan 31, 2008
    Hinamizawa
    The whole Brexit debate is overladen with false information, and it's proven a great indicator of how gullible some people are as almost nobody I've met can back up their reasoning.

So many assumptions are made in the arguments as to why we should consider leaving, such as for example the amount we get back from our investment into the EU, or that by leaving we'll be able to continue trading without having to sign a trade agreement which would mandate free movement of people (y'know, the thing that UKIP touted as one of the biggest problems of being in the EU?). Speaking of trade, that other little fact so many people like to throw around about us being unable to trade with countries outside of the EU right now? Well, turns out that most of those have either signed, or are in the process of negotiating, trade deals with the EU.

Oh, but why are those deals taking so long? Politics, and that's the same complicated bullshit we'd have to go through in order to set up those deals ourselves. Only at significantly greater cost to us, as suddenly we've gotta pay the salaries of all these people tied up in negotiations. Is it worth it? Is there a net gain?

With any luck our country hasn't been completely brainwashed yet, so hopefully history will repeat itself.

Feeling it! likes this.
  10. KSP

KSP GBAtemp Fan

Jan 7, 2015
    United States
    I'm not from UK, but isn't the whole EU thing just a little too gullible to really be sustainable?

Its like asking USA and Canada to share the same border and currency as Bangladesh. The various countries in the EU are just too wildly different in their level of development. I like going to Europe and using the same money across the board, but even I can sense that the union is a naive notion.

Last edited by KSP, May 28, 2016
    Subtle Demise and Xiphiidae like this.
  11. AyanamiRei0

AyanamiRei0 GBATemp's Resident Evangelion fanboy.

GBAtemp Patron
    AyanamiRei0 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 4, 2016
    United Kingdom
    England I guess
    I haven't mainly because i couldn't give a damn at the end the general public doesn't get to decide it's the people in parliament that gets to decide whats "best" for this country even if we voted well that's what i personally think

12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Says a person from the united states? That said I do usually find reason to laugh when someone blathers on about states rights, that or immediately assume it is code like "I'm not racist but".

Frederica Bernkastel likes this.
  13. KSP

KSP GBAtemp Fan

Jan 7, 2015
    United States
    I admit I know jack squat about Europe, other than going there on vacation from time to time.

Its nice to be able to watch from the sidelines on how all this is gonna turn out.

14. Frederica Bernkastel

Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

Jan 31, 2008
    Hinamizawa
    Er, no, you're fully entitled to have opinions and thoughts about what happens to the UK. People sitting in parliament are chosen by you to represent them, and that's all - You should very much care about the general public choosing what goes on, because that's exactly why we still have elections, including this one.

I don't really know where to start ... the EU is far more than just relaxed borders, and significantly less than an entire country.

15. Phantom64
    OP

Phantom64 Banned

Banned
    Aug 18, 2015
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Make Europe Great Again
    Anyway, the EU needs to be reformed and being something near the citiziens. Not something far from the citiziens, this will only increase nationalism and populism.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

i'd make a long discussion about the EU but it's 1:30 and i'm sleepy as ****

16. natemontage

natemontage Newbie

Newcomer
    May 8, 2010
    Canada
    If the UK leaves, good luck with all those new trade agreements. I'm sure the EU nations will be more than happy to put you ahead of all the other countries that are part of the EU.

17. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
  18. rasputin

rasputin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 7, 2008
    United States
    LOL, thinking your vote counts!!

19. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Welp most brexit supporters are ringwinged nuts soO.

20. VinsCool

VinsCool Insecure

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I'm curious. Would this change anything to the world situation?

autism1024 likes this.