Homebrew braindump - userland game dumping!

Roboman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was disappointed to find out that Braindump 1.0 does not support Pokémon Yellow purchased from the eShop. I was hoping to poke around in the file system of that one but it just freezes on a red screen when run from a 10.6 reiNAND emuNAND using *hax 2.6. I was able to dump Zelda Oracle of Seasons so I know Braindump still works on this configuration, just not for this title. Anyone know why one works and the other doesn't?

If you are doing it from emunand why not use kernelland game dumping?

Narles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are doing it from emunand why not use kernelland game dumping?

My sysNAND and emuNAND are unlinked. Doesn't that prevent me from dumping and decrypting eShop games? If not, would you mind pointing me to a tutorial? I've been looking for quite a while but haven't found one. My hunch is that using decrypt9 launched from sysNAND with kernel access will be the answer but I've never done it that way before.

00technocolor00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i tried brain dump on digital version of fire emblem if (i buy it from e-shop)
but it doesnt work and i got a red screen on the bottom screen..
anyone else facing the same problem?

sorry if i'm posting on the wrong thread
SAME
omg I have been looking around for the last few days now trying to figure out whats happening. And the games been confirmed as compatible, both eshop and physical and jp and na. (fan translation patch and expanded same sex marriage patch threads) It also does that same freeze when trying to load it with save file manager or hans yet all three of these apps work perfectly with other games both physical and digital.

BOBdotEXE

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got tired of trying to find this app in my homebrew menu so I made this icon for it.
F5RARmn.png

Yes, it's terrible, but I'm far to lazy to lazy to make a proper one.
Source image: http://www.primusdatabase.com/index.php?title=File:Brain-icon.png

edit: changed description to 'Dump your game contents with your 3DS!'

Attachments

• braindump_banner.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 123
Last edited by BOBdotEXE,

00technocolor00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I imagine this shall be updated fore 2.7 hax?
as that allows for use of hans with 9.6 games I imagine that shall allow dumping of 9.6 games as well?

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I imagine this shall be updated fore 2.7 hax?
as that allows for use of hans with 9.6 games I imagine that shall allow dumping of 9.6 games as well?
in my experience, I was able to dump the romfs of a 9.6 title with *hax 2.7 (built myself, I know it's not out yet) and the xml for the title, but it would fail dumping code, saying wrong size or something (I need to try it out again).

00technocolor00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I FIGURED OUT HOW TO DUMP 9.6 CRYPTO FILES!!
You need to use decrypt9 WIP to dump your title.db then use funkycia2 (Or groovycia if you're like me and need a gui in order to understand what you're looking at) and convert it into a .cia file. Then using your cia installer of choice (maybe on CFW/9.2 cus idk if its still a legit cia or not) install it, its going to install over your eshop title but that dosnt matter and after thats done, BOOM DUMPABLE WHICH MEANS HANSABLE
THIS IS PROBABLY GOING TO BE MEANINGLESS ONCE 2.7 HAX COMES OUT BUT WHATEVER
NOW IF YOU EXCUSE ME IM GONNA GO FINALLY FREAKING S-RANK NILES (after changing a single byte in the code so the game thinks hes a chick) AND GET ME MY STUPID KIDS

Reactions: RandomKid150

mkinfinite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a problem.

I used braindump one time and dumped Fire Embles Fates with no problems, but now that I'm trying to dump the game again, for some reason it doesn't even asks me what game I want to dump and proceeds to dump the title id 0004001000020100.

Am I doing something wrong?

Ah never mind, it seems I accidentally put back an old boot3ds and it was messing with braindump

Last edited by mkinfinite,

xX_Rowan_Xx

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

Recently, I've been working on a new tool called braindump - there has been a pre-release, and I've finally found some time to get the project to a state that I'm now publishing a full official 1.0 release.

WHAT'S BRAINDUMP?
braindump is a 3DS homebrew application that can dump 3DS titles, i.e. cartridge and eShop games, but also other installed content. Since it runs entirely in userland, it runs on any system version supported by the Homebrew Launcher.

The dumps created by braindump are lossy, since not all title information is accessible to userland applications. braindump compensates for that by generating fake metadata using clever heuristics. This is good enough to be able to run the dumped title in an emulator or to title contents (artwork, sounds, etc) for ROM hacking. If you require an (almost) lossless copy of your title, it's recommended to use uncart instead.

WHAT IS IT USEFUL FOR?
braindump can be used both for dumping games for use in an emulator as well as dumping game contents for game modding.

braindump's feature set has been covered by uncart and Decrypt9 before, however braindump provides a few major advantages:
  • it runs on any system version newer than 9.0, including the most recent one. uncard and Decrypt9 are limited to system versions 9.2 or below (currently).
  • it dumps cartridge games, eShop content, and (some) system applications in a uniform way. All three of these had to be decrypted with different commands before.
  • it's more convenient, since it can be launched directly from the Homebrew Launcher and only requires one operation step from starting to the decrypted content. uncart and Decrypt9 had to be launched through a separate program, and after dumping a game you had to restart your console and run another chain of commands to actually decrypt things.

CHANGES SINCE THE PRERELEASE
braindump now supports dumping full game images for use in an emulator. Also, full source code is now provided.

DOWNLOAD AND USAGE
Source code and binaries are available on GitHub. Setup instructions and a FAQ are on GitHub, too.

FUTURE PLANS
Stay tuned, I guess ;)
Question: can you try to fix issues with SSFIV? if you have the game.

00technocolor00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question: can you try to fix issues with SSFIV? if you have the game.
I dont have the game nor am I familer with its issue but is brain dumb crashing to a lovely shade of screaming red when trying to dump ssfiv? It may be 9.6 crypto. If youre on hax 2.5 still, update to 2.7 as smea has implemented a work around for 9.6 crypto. @ihaveamac has a thread for the individual game workarounds as it require some file dumped from the rom or something.

xX_Rowan_Xx

Trophies
XP
Country
I dont have the game nor am I familer with its issue but is brain dumb crashing to a lovely shade of screaming red when trying to dump ssfiv? It may be 9.6 crypto. If youre on hax 2.5 still, update to 2.7 as smea has implemented a work around for 9.6 crypto. @ihaveamac has a thread for the individual game workarounds as it require some file dumped from the rom or something.
Braindump doesn't even let me dump
It crashes on boot

Reactions: RandomKid150

Ryuzaki_MrL

Green Thunder
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
A lot of people seems to be looking for NTR plugins so I made a CIA, stripped down version of braindump, that dumps a selected titlte's EXEFS ONLY.
It lets you choose any title from SD or NAND, including update data and the home menu.
It's as slow as pre-release braindump, and has a ugly banner, but I think it may be useful.

Attachments

• braindump.zip
    330.5 KB · Views: 137

drsalvador555

Japanese Game Translation Editor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, does anyone know a simple way to explain how to get the romfs from the cxi file? I tried using the method listed "romfs=romfs.bin etc etc 0004000000055e00.cxi/000400000011c500.cxi" and I get "Error, exheader hash mismatch. Wrong Key?" and that's it. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Thanks again for helping a total noob who wants to get into this more seriously!

Last edited by drsalvador555,

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, does anyone know a simple way to explain how to get the romfs from the cxi file? I tried using the method listed "romfs=romfs.bin etc etc 0004000000055e00.cxi/000400000011c500.cxi" and I get "Error, exheader hash mismatch. Wrong Key?" and that's it. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Thanks again for helping a total noob who wants to get into this more seriously!
Code:
ctrtool --exefsdir=exefs --romfsdir=romfs game.cxi
you can ignore the exheader hash mismatch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Which quote? "Twas I naked in the woods, and along came a wizard."? +1