Homebrew braindump prerelease - dump game contents on any system version!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naked_Snake

Constant Miscreant
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
so i dumped Majora's Mask, what command can i use to extract the romfs.bin with ctrtools, i wanna see if i can grab the models sound and whatnot

Februarysn0w

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
How is crtools supposed to work, all it does is open a cmd then close it.
use ctrtool with comandline. please read the top post.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How to ROM hack?!
At this stage, I cannot give you full instructions on how to mod a game, but here are some quick hints:
  • Dump the game contents using braindump on your 3DS. This will place the files exefs.bin and romfs.bin on your SD card (in a subdirectory with a 16-digit number as its name)
  • On your PC, extract the two files using ctrtool. Use "ctrtool --intype=romfs --romfsdir=romfsdir romfs.bin" and "ctrtool --intype=exefs --exefsdir=exefsdir --decompresscode exefs.bin" to unpack the romfs and exefs, respectively
  • Game modders will be interested in the contents extracted to romfsdir. Modify whatever you like, and repack the contents using 3dstool
  • Put the new romfs binary on your SD card. Start HANS on your 3DS and point it to the modded game, and make it replace the romfs with your new image. Note that for HANS to detect the romfs binary, you'll need to remove the first 0x1000 bytes from the romfs binary.

Last edited by Februarysn0w,

slizekalfer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tool does not appear to work to dump GBA VC Ambassador games. Sorry if this was already mentioned. It also appears that HANS won't work on these either, so it may actually be an issue with *hax 2.5. Thought I would mention it just in case. Some of the games get white noise/glitchy stuff on the top screen, but all seem to crash with a red screen on the bottom.

Using O3DS 9.9.0.26-U

Last edited by slizekalfer,

neobrain

-
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Tool does not appear to work to dump GBA VC Ambassador games. Sorry if this was already mentioned. It also appears that HANS won't work on these either, so it may actually be an issue with *hax 2.5. Thought I would mention it just in case. Some of the games get white noise/glitchy stuff on the top screen, but all seem to crash with a red screen on the bottom.

If you don't mind, could you create an issue on GitHub about these games (including all particular examples that you tried)?

Fredabill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice work Neobrain!
Hopefully someday it will rip the files that Citra can read.
(made it a lot easier to modify 3ds games if your 3ds is past 9.2)

G25900

Trophies
XP
Country
Well this helps with my question about getting those files from yesterday. Looking forward to seeing what else this can do in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay