OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Evidently bored with building fires, tying fancy knots and helping old ladies across the street, the Boy Scouts of America have decided to hip it up a bit with a brand new honor rewarding their understanding of video games.

While that may sound ludicrous to old-school Scouts, the new "Video Game" award is intended to make Tiger, Cub and Webelos Scouts more responsible gamers.

Rather than shooting their way to success, they'll have to accomplish a number of far more mundane tasks to earn the new belt loop and pin, such as explaining the importance of the video game ratings system, working with an adult to build a schedule that includes chores, homework and gaming, and playing a game designed to boost math, spelling or other school-oriented skills. Belt loops and pins are the cub scout/webelo equivalent of merit badges for boy scouts.

Of course, earning the game award involves playing games, too. Scouts will have to show their shopping savvy by comparing games at different retailers for the best prices, install a gaming rig, and -- toughest of all -- play a game with a friend for one hour. Is there a statute of limitations on getting Cub Scout pins? Because I earn this one pretty much every day.

To be fair, the requirements do seem to fall in line with the overall Boy Scout mission of being a responsible citizen. And with harsh language and intolerance plaguing online gaming, anything that helps instill good sense into young gamers is okay in my book. You can check out the full list of Video Game award requirements here.

So does gaming has a place in the Scouts, or should they pull the plug on this in favor of more traditional outdoor activities? Earn your 'Commenting' badge and sound off!
http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged...e-merit/1397800

I read the requirements for getting the badge, it's so easy.
tongue.gif

megawalk

The Legendary SRW Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Belt Loop
Complete these three requirements:

1.Explain why it is important to have a rating system for video games. Check your video games to be sure they are right for your age. (Answer: Some Images might contain to much gore and violence over the one and the other)
2.With an adult, create a schedule for you to do things that includes your chores, homework, and video gaming. Do your best to follow this schedule. (When i wake up i work to 14:00 PM After that..GAMING)

3.Learn to play a new video game that is approved by your parent, guardian, or teacher. (Note To Self: Get Rock Band 2 for it's healthy activity)

Academics Pin
Earn the Video Games belt loop and complete five of the following requirements:

1.With your parents, create a plan to buy a video game that is right for your age group. (I Am 18+)

2.Compare two game systems (for example, Microsoft Xbox, Sony PlayStation, Nintendo Wii, and so on). Explain some of the differences between the two. List good reasons to purchase or use a game system. (DO Nintendo DS And Playstation Portable "Best Excuse Ever")

3.Play a video game with family members in a family tournament. (Mario and Sonic at the olympics)

4.Teach an adult or a friend how to play a video game. (go to a lanparty and explain the events)

5.List at least five tips that would help someone who was learning how to play your favorite video game. (www.gamefaqs.com provides 5 million tips)

6.Play an appropriate video game with a friend for one hour. (Maplestory Online)

7.Play a video game that will help you practice your math, spelling, or another skill that helps you in your schoolwork. (RPG Maker VX)

8.Choose a game you might like to purchase. Compare the price for this game at three different stores. Decide which store has the best deal. In your decision, be sure to consider things like the store return policy and manufacturer’s warranty. (The Internet provides more)

9.With an adult’s supervision, install a gaming system (Wait WUT ?!)

there enough answers provided =]
anyways this was the easiest to achieve badge jeez.....who ever came up with that
smile.gif

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
megawalk said:
Belt Loop
Complete these three requirements:

1.Explain why it is important to have a rating system for video games. Check your video games to be sure they are right for your age. (Answer: Some Images might contain to much gore and violence over the one and the other)
2.With an adult, create a schedule for you to do things that includes your chores, homework, and video gaming. Do your best to follow this schedule. (When i wake up i work to 14:00 PM After that..GAMING)

3.Learn to play a new video game that is approved by your parent, guardian, or teacher. (Note To Self: Get Rock Band 2 for it's healthy activity)

Academics Pin
Earn the Video Games belt loop and complete five of the following requirements:

1.With your parents, create a plan to buy a video game that is right for your age group. (I Am 18+)

2.Compare two game systems (for example, Microsoft Xbox, Sony PlayStation, Nintendo Wii, and so on). Explain some of the differences between the two. List good reasons to purchase or use a game system. (DO Nintendo DS And Playstation Portable "Best Excuse Ever")

3.Play a video game with family members in a family tournament. (Mario and Sonic at the olympics)

4.Teach an adult or a friend how to play a video game. (go to a lanparty and explain the events)

5.List at least five tips that would help someone who was learning how to play your favorite video game. (www.gamefaqs.com provides 5 million tips)

6.Play an appropriate video game with a friend for one hour. (Maplestory Online)

7.Play a video game that will help you practice your math, spelling, or another skill that helps you in your schoolwork. (RPG Maker VX)

8.Choose a game you might like to purchase. Compare the price for this game at three different stores. Decide which store has the best deal. In your decision, be sure to consider things like the store return policy and manufacturer’s warranty. (The Internet provides more)

9.With an adult’s supervision, install a gaming system (Wait WUT ?!)

there enough answers provided =]
anyways this was the easiest to achieve badge jeez.....who ever came up with that
smile.gif
10. Harass a gay or atheist gamer on Xbox Live :yayds:

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
* Learn how to solder in a mod-chip and circumvent piracy protection

* Softmod a Wii

* Sell overpriced R4s to people who don't know what an R4 is

* Get an invite to an exclusive member-only gaming P2P tracker

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
aren't boy scouts supposed to go outside and do outdoor activities/do good things for the community? this is just teaching kids its ok to play games and sit on your ass all day...honestly i think the problem is that too many parents these days are too overprotective of their kids and are afraid lighting a camp fire or learning to use a pocket knife is too dangerous so they would rather have kids play games from the comfort of their couch...

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
syko5150 said:
aren't boy scouts supposed to go outside and do outdoor activities/do good things for the community? this is just teaching kids its ok to play games and sit on your ass all day...honestly i think the problem is that too many parents these days are too overprotective of their kids and are afraid lighting a camp fire or learning to use a pocket knife is too dangerous so they would rather have kids play games from the comfort of their couch...
This. I was in Boy Scouts for years and I learned a lot of shit from stuff like that.I could last a few days in the woods if I really needed to.
I hope.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"9 - With an adult’s supervision, install a gaming system."

Seriously? You need adult supervision to plug in a few damn cords? That's pathetic. They're CORDS, people. CORDS.

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Well this just has bullshit written all over it.
I guess they will teach children to purchase "games" that will school you incited of entertain you "edutainment" and not pleasure you need to blow something the hell up! (HALO, Saints Row 2, Red Faction Guerrilla, Etc.) or put you against epic battles in the mid-evil+sci-fi worlds! (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, Etc.)

*sarcasm*This is just what we need! More n00bs feeding the "shovel-ware" depot of the gaming industry.*sarcasm*
Expect more My Latin Coach, Let's learn calculus, Let's Spell F-U-N, and Rock the Schoolhouse games!

Need I remind people WHY we game?
We game to ESCAPE the mundane tasks of the bullshit we live in (The Real World) and emerge ourselves in a world where anything goes.(Using RPG Maker/Free Roamers/MMORPGS as example here)

If you are detecting hatred then you are correct.
I never liked the Boy scouts...dang goody two shoe fagots.
You want to be a good citizen? JOIN THE FRIGGIN ARMED FORCES!
At least at the Armed Forces they teach you to RESPECT OTHERS without making you a Mama's Litte Fagot!
This stupid thing should be abolished from the boyscouts thingy.

Think about it people, we are talking about people that can't tell the difference from a video game to a jar of dirt!

You want to know about the rating system? Ask me.
You want to know which games kick total rear? Ask me.
You want to know the differences between the Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360? ASK MEH!
Don't ask your boyscout councilor, they don't know squat!

Final Points:
This is a stupid move as the only people that know squat about video games are the scouts.
This is going to harm the gaming industry.
We are going to have more "no more swearing clubs" and "mama's boys"
I hate the boyscouts and girlscouts (including their cookies!)
They should stick to making campfires with two twigs and such!

There, I am done. Have a nice day and good night!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: "I'm cheating on you with your hamster's cousin's owner's dog's favorite tree"