Hardware Bottom screen faded (o3ds XL)

sroemr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just bought a old 3ds XL. The bottom screen is faded/heavy ghosting. Top screen tends to flicker some when loading a game. Bottom screen goes completely black for a bit while games load (sound for those games works fine while screens are both black). However, after playing for a bit the bottom screen reverted back to being fine, before fading again.

Any idea what the issue is? More specifically, is it the screen itself or the ribbon cable?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20191117_161259.jpg
    20191117_161259.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 263

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just bought a old 3ds XL. The bottom screen is faded/heavy ghosting. Top screen tends to flicker some when loading a game. Bottom screen goes completely black for a bit while games load (sound for those games works fine while screens are both black). However, after playing for a bit the bottom screen reverted back to being fine, before fading again.

Any idea what the issue is? More specifically, is it the screen itself or the ribbon cable?

Thanks!
Where exactly had you bought this from? May be easier to get exchange or refund.

sroemr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where exactly had you bought this from? May be easier to get exchange or refund.

Facebook marketplace. It was $100 with 19 games (15 or so of which are first party). I have experience working on 3dses, Playstation 3s, and 360s so I assume I'd be able to fix the problem. Originally I was thinking the screen was the problem, but then my son played Smash Bros on it for a couple hours and the bottom screen was fine for the majority of his playing. So now I'm leaning more toward a ribbon cable issue. I do plan on opening it up later tonight, was just wondering if others have had the same issue so I could order the part.

D

Deleted User

If it's both displays then I have a feeling that the motherboard might be failing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Replaced the bottom screen and it still does it, so motherboard seems likely
Check my signature for official Nintendo refurbished 3DS systems. If you can wait right after Thanksgiving, be on the lookout for possible(?) Black Friday deals.

Backing up or transfering your setup to another system.

There's also replacing the o3DSXL motherboard, but the above backup/transfer still applies.

Marax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I Got the same thing on my 3DS swapped the screen but still the same result might be a failing and resistor or something. Can someone help me finding the broken one?

IMG_2627.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2626.jpeg
    IMG_2626.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 30

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over