Hacking Bootmii Safe?

gilaben

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm putting the finishing touches on a friends Wii. Right now it's got...

Sys Menu 4.1U
Cios REV 10
Preloader 0.29

Anyways, I've been looking into Bootmii to avoid Bricks for him. I haven't tried it myself as I've got a newer Wii.

So I Install to Boot2 then do the 'Prep the SD Card' thing. Bootmii gave me the AOK and everything seemed fine. From what I've read Bootmii is supposed to autoboot everytime but for some reason it didn't! Did I do something wrong during the installation process?

Also WiiBrew said to be cautious because Bootmii is permanent. Do ya'll think in the long run it'll be safe.

kLiNiKaL

Dr. Greenthumb
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamaica
if will only show the bootmii menu if you have the SD inserted.

check theres a /bootmii folder on your SD.

update your cIOS to rev14 also (see my sig.)

bootmii is about as safe as they come, but as with all homebrew theres a slight risk when installing anything.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I believe the HackMii installer v2 as a BootMii uninstaller (am I wrong..??)...!!
smile.gif

OtakuGamerZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if it doesn't boot up as soon as the wii turns on, i think you used a bad SD card, but that doesn't matter as long as you can backup your NAND and get a better card if it bricks. Hackmii Installer v2 can uninstall as stated above. finally the newest cIos is rev 14. Update IF you want.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bootmii-boot2 is very safe to install and is even update proof. Preloader will not ever survive a system menu update, but no update will kill a boot2 install of bootmii unless Nintendo specifically targets Wii's with it installed which could brick them, but that would cause legal issues so they won't do that.

If, when you turn on the Wii you see it flash quickly a couple more times than usual, that means it installed properly to boot2. If it still does not boot at startup. Try backing up the stuff on your sd card to your pc and then formatting it with the sd formatter tool. Then put just the bootmii folder with it's 3 files in it back on that card and put it back in the Wii and boot it up again. If it still does not load, then you need to use a different SD card that is compatible with bootmii.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Kakkoii said:
PettingZoo said:
ether2802 said:
Kakkoii said:
Should of used StartPatch on your friends Wii instead of Preloader.

Boooooh, Preloader FTW...!!
biggrin.gif
+1
Lol, +1 for what? Not being able to accept change
biggrin.gif
?

There isn't much need for Preloader anymore now that we have StartPatch.

There's still plenty of need for preloader. It's the only option people with boot2v4 Wii's have for brick protection.

Also it's pretty cool having my system autoboot straight into Coverfloader because of bootmii autobooting the system menu, autobooting preloader, which autoboots the .dol for coverflow.

I don't even use my system menu at all anymore so Startpatch wouldn't really do anything at all for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F