Hacking Bootmii nand backup.. 0 bad blocks?

blktiger527

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, this may seem like a silly question but i had 0 bad blocks when backing up my nand... since people say that you can have up to 80 i was wondering if it didnt back up the nand properly.. is it normal or possible to have 0 bad blocks... i made the backup with bootmii/boot2 btw

thanks guys

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Congratulations and welcome to the Zero Bad Blocks club. The majority of NAND chips leave the factory with at least one bad block. 4-8 is common, 20 comes up occasionally. The most I've ever seen was 57.

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just did a Wii for my mother-in-law this weekend and it had 0 bad blocks. In fact I think when I did my own Wii for the first time over a year ago it had no bad blocks either. Not a concern imo.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Same here, feels kinda special doesn't it?

Quick question re: NAND dumps. If you do a dump with 0 bad blacks and 6 months down the line the wii develops some bad blocks, how does this affect the NAND restore when writing 'good' data to 'bad' blocks? Surely once a block is bad it stays bad?

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bazamuffin said:
Same here, feels kinda special doesn't it?

Quick question re: NAND dumps. If you do a dump with 0 bad blacks and 6 months down the line the wii develops some bad blocks, how does this affect the NAND restore when writing 'good' data to 'bad' blocks? Surely once a block is bad it stays bad?
The NAND restore fails if it tried writing a block of information over a bad block. This is what makes Betwiin and other NAND-restoring programs difficult to use, because if there is a bad block where the NAND backup has a block of information (even if they have the same number of bad blocks but in different locations) the restore wouldn't work. The only way to guarantee success when restoring is if the new NAND has no bad blocks at all.

Fortunately, bad blocks typically only occur during fabrication, they don't just "happen" like dead pixels on an LED/LCD screen. There would be significant problems with your Wii if a block of information suddenly disappeared.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: idk how to use usbloader, so i can't help