Hacking BootMii doesn't recognize SD

gqkooqo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had Homebrew channel for a few years and now want to try to run backups. First, I updated the HBC which also had an option to install bootmii. However, when I went to install it as boot2 (I have a wii from around 2007) I got the message "mounting sd card failed -1". The SD card isn't SDHC and works fine with everything else. I tried 3 other SD cards and they had the same problem. I even used a card which supposedly should work according to this compatibility list
Code:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/BootMii/SD_Card_Compatibility_List
and that still had the error. My SD cards aren't set to "lock". Any ideas on what is wrong?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what ios is the homebrew channel using? u might try installing the new ios 58. it's supposed to improve compatibility. for example, I wasn't able to rip cube games to an sd card for dml unless I installed it. it would give an error otherwise.

gqkooqo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have IOS 58 and 4.3. I was going to try reformatting the card like in post #3 but since I updated the HBC, I no longer get the message which has the option to install bootmii.

(Also, I can't PM - [#10226] You are not allowed to use the private messaging system.)

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
what ios is the homebrew channel using? u might try installing the new ios 58. it's supposed to improve compatibility. for example, I wasn't able to rip cube games to an sd card for dml unless I installed it. it would give an error otherwise.
Complete nonsense. IOS is not running when BootMii is running so that has zero effect on compatibility in BootMii. Furthermore, it has no effect on SD card compatibility. The change in IOS58 was to add USB2.0 support, rather than the USB1.1 support present in other IOS. If you were using CleanRip or something, it'll just error out unless you're using IOS58 because CleanRip can also rip to USB (and also IOS58 is the IOS you should be using for homebrew).

Sometimes BootMii just doesn't like certain SD cards.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I have IOS 58 and 4.3. I was going to try reformatting the card like in post #3 but since I updated the HBC, I no longer get the message which has the option to install bootmii.

(Also, I can't PM - [#10226] You are not allowed to use the private messaging system.)
You can try to install bootmii with the hackmii installer.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
BootMii isn't really useful nowadays unless you're messing with System Menu IOS files.
Priiloader should be plenty of brick protection for anything else.

Besides, backup loading is safe. Back when I was messing around without a clue as to what I was doing, I got both GC and Wii backups working without a single error. Wii hacking is pretty safe unless you're institutionally stupid.

Reactions: 1 person

gqkooqo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help. Reformatting seems to have done it (unless it was using the hackmii installer on SD rather than through update). I was able to make a NAND backup. What's the best way to go now to be able to play backups on a USB stick? Modmii? I want to avoid reinstalling HBC, but Modmii says that a cIOS is needed (249) first. Is that completely different from an IOS? Hopefully this is a quick answer question otherwise I can make a new topic.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
ModMii is the way to go. You can just tell the ModMii wizard that you're wii has never been modded before. The first couple steps will be to use an exploit to install the HBC and make a nand backup, but one of the "notes" to that step instructs that you can skip that step if you've already got the HBC installed.

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Complete nonsense. IOS is not running when BootMii is running so that has zero effect on compatibility in BootMii. Furthermore, it has no effect on SD card compatibility. The change in IOS58 was to add USB2.0 support, rather than the USB1.1 support present in other IOS. If you were using CleanRip or something, it'll just error out unless you're using IOS58 because CleanRip can also rip to USB (and also IOS58 is the IOS you should be using for homebrew).

Sometimes BootMii just doesn't like certain SD cards.
The SD cards he mentioned were on the compatible SD card list.

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You can try to install bootmii with the hackmii installer.
That's what he did.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The SD cards he mentioned were on the compatible SD card list.
I know. Like I said, sometimes BootMii doesn't like certain sd cards. I do not mean certain sd card models, if I did I would have said so. I mean individual sd cards.
That's what he did.
No, the OP was looking for the update prompt in HBC, which was no longer present because HBC had been updated. WiiBricker was pointing out he could also just download the installer and run it manually.

EDIT: regardless, all of this is irrelevant as the OP has resolved the issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Not a lot, just relaxing