Bootleg GBA Game Flashable?

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Hadobedo, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Hadobedo
    OP

Hadobedo Member

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2015
    Canada
    Hi,

I have my hands on a bootleg Leaf Green cartridge. I was wondering if it was reflashable. It has a MSP55LV128 EEPROM chip. I've tried to use GBA Exploader to flash the NOR but it gets stuck at 1% on bigger games (16MB) and it gets to about 7% on smaller games (2MB). Does anyone know what I can do with this cartridge?

(If I posted this in the wrong place let me know)

2. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    You could always play pokemon LeafGreen on it

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Regarding the actual topic, I think it would be flashable, but you'd need to solder wires on and manually flash

3. tvall

tvall GBAtemp Regular

May 12, 2014
    United States
    id say most likely. all mine are. although i havent done it through ds homebrew.

http://tvall.dyn/piratemon.html or http://tvall.ddns.net/piratemon.net

4. Hadobedo
    OP

Hadobedo Member

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2015
    Canada
  5. Mikemk

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    http://tvall.ddns.net/piratemon.html
    If you look closely at the URLs, it's easy to figure out

6. Hadobedo
    OP

Hadobedo Member

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2015
    Canada
  7. tvall

tvall GBAtemp Regular

May 12, 2014
    United States
    oh wow, i cannot type links to my own pages right. i need to lay off the drinks tonight

edit:
    so quick rundown, since i also wrote that page drunk.

all the bootleg pokemon carts ive seen so far are the same board, hae 16mb flash, and some size sram i cant remember. they can be reflashed, but gba exploader doesnt know how. the bennvenn cart flasher can easily. but the carts ive seen have a weird way of saving that involves writing sram to flash after the game saves. so you have to either recreate those patches for each game, or just solder in a backup battery like i did.

cart flasher i use was like $40. but worth it since i bought it to backup my pokemon blue save from chldhood.

so if anyone has one of those carts, i guess for a tiny fee i can add a battery and flash random roms for them.

Last edited by tvall, Sep 24, 2016
    Coto likes this.
  8. Mikemk

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Wonder why they included the sram at all instead of patching the game to write directly to rom.

9. tvall

tvall GBAtemp Regular

May 12, 2014
    United States
    laziness/its easier? the game saves normally, then they later write that save to flash. that way they dont have to rewrite the entire save routine. and these boards have easy places to add a battery. so im assuming they use one board for several types of carts.

i would attempt to RE the patches, but i suck at arm asm