bluetooth eeprom programming

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by mauifrog, Apr 22, 2012.

Apr 22, 2012

bluetooth eeprom programming by mauifrog at 6:54 AM (1,334 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. mauifrog
    OP

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    Would it be possible to reprogram the eeprom in the bluetooth module from a wii app? If it was it would be nice to have an app that could fix all these dead bt modules instead of replacing them.I know you can remove the eeprom and reprogram then with an eeprom programmer, but that sucks. Is it possible to read/write to the eeprom on bt module from wii? Is it possible for some homebrew bug to kill a bt module?

2. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    As a wii isn't booting when the BT module is defective, how are you suposed to launch the program to fix it? eeprom's are usually IIC devices, so if you can read the chip, you can normally write to it as well. I assume however it just contains the Bluetooth id. So, it might not be necessairy for the wii to have access to that chip. It can be a memory device solely for the bluetooth chip.

3. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    Theres always the possibility to hotswap the bluetooth module. I've had to do similar things with BIOS chips before to fix some older pc's. Of course, this is different, but it would be great to be able to write to the eeprom from the wii. In fact, I have a bluetooth module here that had crapped out on me and I was wanting to reprogram it but I don't own anything here that I can program it with.

4. mauifrog
    OP

United States
    If you had priiloader installed you could just load priiloader, then load the eeprom programmer. Or you could load it from RM, or as DeadlyFoez said, another wii.

5. obcd

Belgium
    To my knowledge, a wii with a defective BT module doesn't boot into priiloader anymore.
    Is the BT module hotswappable?
    Has this ever been tested?
    I remember a free program called ponyprog that could program IIC eeprom chips and was used to read and program those on the xbox 1.
    The interface between the pc and the chip was only 2 diodes and 2 resistors.
    Maybe the device isn't a physical chip but is embedded in another chip.
    Is there prove that defective BT modules usually can be fixed by reprogramming the eeprom? There could be something else wrong I supose?

6. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    But IIRC, these consoles will still boot into bootmii/boot2 if they have it. Maybe a MINI-based solution makes more sense? (Of course, we'd have to somehow access the BT from MINI...)

This way, those with older consoles don't even need to touch the hardware, and hotswapping (which AFAIK we don't even know works), can be avoided.

7. mauifrog
    OP

United States
    When the bluetooth module goes bad the system menu will not load, wii games will not load.
    Priiloader will load, boot2 bootmii will load, homebrew channel and apps can be used with a gc controller.

8. obcd

Belgium
    I wasn't aware of that.

Is there any prove that most defects are caused by the eeprom containing bad information?

9. mauifrog
    OP

United States