OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
blu-ray-stretch.jpg

This probably isn't a response to the 3D onslaught or even "superbit" releases like the upcoming Avatar 2D disc, but just in case the standard 50GB Blu-ray discs were beginning to feel a bit -- how do you say... cramped? -- the Blu-ray Disc Association's rolling out a new BDXL format capable of holding up to 128GB (write-once) or 100GB (rewriteable). Before you get too excited, you should know that you'll need a new player to access these -- even a firmware update won't save the PS3 this time -- since they go up to three or four layers deep and will likely need a more powerful laser. While our home movies can be compressed just fine, corporations currently still using other mediums for archiving might appreciate the extra space, as well as the new IH-BD discs, designed with one 25GB read-only layer, and one 25GB rewritable layer on the same platter. If you're looking for a place to permanently back up that super high-res "amateur photography," take heart -- a consumer version is in the works, though it will first be aimed at markets where Blu-ray Disc recorders are popular, or available at all (read: maybe Japan, definitely not the US). No word when the new hardware will actually hit the market, but final specs are due "in the next few months." In the meantime, check out the full details after the break.
Source.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
waste of time really movies are never going to use that much space or ps3 games...unless SE make another FF game
laugh.gif
all current brd players won't be able to use them either so you'll have to run out and get a whole new player. they can shove them up their ass!

D

Deleted_171835

Lame. You'll have to buy a whole new player.

I prefer HVD's over Blu-Ray. They hold more and can use Quad HD. Maybe they'll use it in the next-gen consoles.

D

Deleted_171835

TM2-Megatron said:
SoulSnatcher said:
Lame. You'll have to buy a whole new player.

I prefer HVD's over Blu-Ray. They hold more and can use Quad HD. Maybe they'll use it in the next-gen consoles.

God, "quad HD" is such a stupid name; are they really calling them that? They should've just done 4KTVs.
Yep. Crappy name for 2160p. Ever heard of Super Quad Full High Definition? It's a real name!

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Ugh... A new player? What a pain in the ass. We ought to just put up with Blu-Ray's "cramped" 50GB limit for at least a few more years before we try to reinvent it.

Or better yet, just go digital. Screw physical media.

ecchi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.lmgtfy.com
XP
Country
geoflcl said:
Or better yet, just go digital. Screw physical media.

I personally think that the 50gbs is enough for a blu-ray disc, however with digital media there are problems. For countrys like Australia, we have insanely slow download and upload speeds. It hard enough for Australians to find a deal under 100 Dollars for 50gbs of data.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Ah, sorry, I forgot about Australia. Sorry, you guys. You guys are troopers!

Anyway, yeah, I think 50GB should be more than enough. What in the world couldn't fit on 50 cold, hard, gigabytes?

ecchi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.lmgtfy.com
XP
Country
geoflcl said:

Anyway, yeah, I think 50GB should be more than enough. What in the world couldn't fit on 50 cold, hard, gigabytes?

Haha, it's painful but we manage. Not to mention our internet is going to be completely filtered.

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
geoflcl said:

The internet, a person, etc.
biggrin.gif

Anyways >.> isn't it early to actually be making even bigger blu-ray disc? I'd rather get 128gb msds! Though those would be EXTREMELY expensive.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
zuron7 said:
Can't everyone use HDD's?
Do we still have to be stuck with stupid old discs.

hard drives are no where as portable as brd's. hard drives cost less, but once you drop them, most likely they're gone. right now flash memory and brd/multi-layer dvd's is where to go in terms of portable memory.

yeah 128gb is a bit overexcessive, but iirc MGS4 had a hard time fitting on the conventional 50gb DL blu-ray. right now many games are limited by how much space they use, i'm sure the creators of this years AVP wanted to go all out on textures (they still went pretty far... enough to cause a lot of problems on low vram cards) but was limited to 2 DL dvd's and a 32gb install.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Cermage said:
zuron7 said:
Can't everyone use HDD's?
Do we still have to be stuck with stupid old discs.

hard drives are no where as portable as brd's. hard drives cost less, but once you drop them, most likely they're gone. right now flash memory and brd/multi-layer dvd's is where to go in terms of portable memory.

yeah 128gb is a bit overexcessive, but iirc MGS4 had a hard time fitting on the conventional 50gb DL blu-ray. right now many games are limited by how much space they use, i'm sure the creators of this years AVP wanted to go all out on textures (they still went pretty far... enough to cause a lot of problems on low vram cards) but was limited to 2 DL dvd's and a 32gb install.

MGS4 A.K.A Metal Gear Solid: The Movie.

Its alot easier to fit models and textures, than Cut scenes.

Omega_2

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
luke, you've picked up my recent bad habit after I got better from it, didn't you? XD

BoxShot said:
geoflcl said:

The internet, a person, etc.
biggrin.gif

Anyways >.> isn't it early to actually be making even bigger blu-ray disc? I'd rather get 128gb msds! Though those would be EXTREMELY expensive.
yeah, a 16GB msd is already as much as a game, and no idea if they're even past 'Class 4', iirc

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1