Homebrew RELEASE Blobby Volley 2

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am not the dev of this but got permission to provide the release thread.
The dev of the port is SilentFlyBy.
The original Blobby Volley 2 devs are Daniel Knobe and Jonathan Sieber.

Information

titel.png

A friend of mine ported Blobby Volley 2 to the Nintendo Switch. Since it's one of the games I wanted the most to be on Nintendo's hybrid console I'm very happy to tell you it turned out great!

github said:
This is a port of the popular Volleyball game you all know from the good old LAN-party days. This is still in heavy WIP, so expect some features to be broken.
While Blobby Volley 1 & 2 are well known freeware games in Germany, you guys might wanna watch a video of it in action, taken from the PC version:

Now comes the good part: Although LAN/online play isn't working on the Switch yet, as soon as it does, you'll be able to play against players across all platforms including Windows, Linux, Mac, XBox, Android and iOS.

For further info, head to the official BV2 website.

Also you can test the game right now thanks to the available browser version.
No need to say that it's running smoother as a native app rather than the browser version but it's giving you a good first impression.

Controls

For now both Joy-Cons count as one controller and the blob is moved by analog left/right while jumping is mapped to A.
This will be resolved in a future update so you can remap buttons or maybe even use split Joy-Con mode.

To navigate the menu, press up and down and confirm with A.
Inside list boxes (like the one to pick the desired bot) use left and right.

In options, other backgrounds can be selected.

Assets

I provided some new assets for SilentFlyBy's Switch port to set it apart a bit from the other ports and give it a little bit of a "Switch" feeling, mainly the NRO icon / title screen (which can be seen at the beginning of this post).
While I'm fine with the title screen, I'm still not happy with it being the icon as well. Unfortunately the official old icon is too small to fit the NRO icon needs:

Blobby Volley.png

So if anyone comes up with a good icon suggestion or a higher resolution version of this icon, feel free to post it. :)

Of course you can use the original assets from the PC version if you like the "colorful look" more. To do so, just replace anything needed in the data subfolder.

By default, the colors of the player 1 and player 2 blobs are matching the neon blue and red Joy-Con colors.
This can be adjusted in the config.xml with any text editor.
Personally I prefer the neon green and pink Joy-Con colors from Splatoon:
Code:
    <var name="left_blobby_color_r" value="30"/>
    <var name="left_blobby_color_g" value="220"/>
    <var name="left_blobby_color_b" value="0"/>
Code:
    <var name="right_blobby_color_r" value="255"/>
    <var name="right_blobby_color_g" value="50"/>
    <var name="right_blobby_color_b" value="120"/>

Screenshots

2019041422292300-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.jpg

2019041020580900-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.jpg

2019041020515200-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.jpg

What works

• Local play with 2 full controllers ("full" means no "single-mode" Joycons)
  • Bots and custom bot scripts
  • Ruleset scripts

Known issues

• LAN/online play doesn't work yet
  • Button remapping doesn't work yet
Since it's already completely playable apart form those two points, I marked this thread as [RELEASE] instead of [WIP].
Obviously this issues are still being worked on though.

Discord for finding matches

Discord-Logo+Wordmark-Color.png

Here's our official Discord server for finding matches which comes in handy once online play works:

https://discord.gg/HD43jVr

Since the popularity of the game went down within the last years, there's not much activity going on there for now but that might change thanks to the Switch port. :P

Download

https://github.com/SilentFlyBy/Blobby-Volley-2-Switch/releases

The game has also been submitted for being included in the Switch Appstore and will likely appear there soon and can be updated easily on the fly on your console once it has been accepted.

Source

https://github.com/SilentFlyBy/Blobby-Volley-2-Switch

Original website

Last edited by lordelan,

Kadji

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As someone who spent waaaaaay to much time in school playing this game against my friend: Thanks for the Port!
The Switch Homebrew Scene is so alive, remembers me on the good PSP days.

Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Btw @pwsincd and @vgmoose
Please update the app in your app store as well. Not only that the newest release contains the HID fixes for 9.x FW, also the old version (0.3) didn't run at all on all firmwares above 7.x :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.