Homebrew blargSnes -- SNES emulator for the 3DS (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
There's quite a few, actually. Notably, Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition works with no horizontal scaling required, as do the Micro Machines games, Megaman: The Wily Wars, Lotus Turbo Challenge and Worms.

Well, when you know there are probably more than 700 Genesis games... (if you count all games, also the japanese ones only).

BlargSnes actually support a lot of more games than that and you know, I still think it's not enough yet so, so talking about Genesis... Of course, it takes time and there's no hurry at all but one day, I expect BlargSnes to run at least 95-97% of the Snes games (the 3-5% missing are the games using special chips, though there are probably less than 3% of all the games released on Snes).

But if one day someone do a Genesis emulator working at least as good as BlargSnes, that would already be pretty nice :)

Soleiyu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
"Compatibility" update 3: :)

Hagane : A Ninja-Gaiden-like - BlargSNES displays the message " !! PPU EXT SYNC " on boot but, so far, no perceptible problems graphics-wise. However, one sound channel that should, in fact, play subtly (i.e ambient SFX?) does the opposite - it plays too loud and results in noise permeating some stages (the issue is alleviated somewhat if you play without headphones) .

Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose (SNES) : A platformer - Perfectly playable with just minor graphical glitches: 1 -- "Small black rectangles" on any side of the screen during certain events. 2 -- Sometimes the "mini game selection" roulette isn't rendered properly when it is displayed full-screen (it's split in two halves and one of them is off the center) but the issue fixes itself as the roulette slows down to a stop. And, 3 -- There's an effect missing in the first section of the last stage (namely, the beam 'tunnel' that heads to the following section) .
Performance-wise, the framerate in the first section of stage 3 drops slightly while the zeppelin section of stage 5 features slight slowdown (i.e too much processing?) . They hardly affect gameplay, though.
Sometimes the title screen sequence runs with no sound but all sound is back upon game start.

Dr. Mario (Super Famicom) : Near-perfect with infrequent sound glitches (i.e "bleeps") .

Wild Guns : A 3rd-person rail shooter - Very playable but presents several graphical glitches. The player screen (at the bottom) is missing much detail and is not very readable (see pic below for reference) . On the action screen - player sprites are always badly-rendered as they shoot but rarely as they move. Incidentally, this affects Annie's sprite more than it does Clint's.
So far I've noticed that only one enemy - a sub-boss - suffers from minor glitches (i.e missing sprites?) as he moves. As for the background, the "rectangles" may appear on any side on the screen every now and then.

Magical Pop'n (Super Famicom) : Gives a black screen on boot.

Super Bomberman 3 : Something to add to the current wiki - Story mode plays slightly more slowly than it should - especially the music which, in fact, may suffer from brief "cuts" during boss battles (only music stops, not SFX) .

Soleiyu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Annie.JPG

Pretty woman in a pink dress? -- CHECK
Chock-full o' shotgun? -- CHECK
Big robot butt-cheeks? -- CHECK

Available CIB copy? -- Umm... Could anyone here at GBATemp spare - just $600 - so I can buy this game?? I would, like, REALLY appreciate it! L:rofl2:L

Reactions: the_randomizer

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
E.V.O. Search for Eden runs fine. Only problem I encountered is that sometimes the .SRM will get corrupted upon exiting.

Soleiyu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
"Compatibility" update 4: :)

Captain Commando : It works flawlessly.

World Heroes 2 (Super Famicom) : The game 'hangs' indefinitely at the Saurus logo.

Wagyan Paradise (Super Famicom) : It gives a black screen, then makes the entire Homebrew Launcher crash soon afterwards. Spits you back to the 3DS menu screen with the following error message before restarting:
" An error has ocurred, forcing the software to close. The system will now restart. (Unsaved data may be lost.) "

The Ninja Warriors Again (Super Famicom) : A single-plane brawler - Playable but with glitchy graphics. Both player and enemy sprites show "white wireframe boxes" that pop up as they deal/take damage, as well as during many other actions (i.e sprites unable to load/show?) . Fortunately, these don't mask the characters so as to dramatically hinder gameplay.
Note: An aforementioned sub-boss in Wild Guns suffers from this exact same issue.

Brutal: Paws of Fury : A fighter - It runs but it's unplayable it its current state. Character sprites look 'shredded' (i.e you can only see several unconnected rows of sprites) and cannot be made out.

Knights of The Round : Upon loading, it may give a permanent "black screen" randomly after any fade to black (i.e failure to keep up loading?) . With luck, one can get as far as past the stage preview screen. Repeated attempts to load this ROM may cause BlargSNES to 'hang' indefinitely.

Reactions: puss2puss

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Why doesn't StapleButter update blargsnes to use the latest ctrulib?

Why does it need to? How exactly would it be different from the current 1.3 version? Unless you plan to help with the project and need it to be compliant with the latest ctrulib, there's no reason.

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
What I'm doing right now is more web shiz. Will affect 4dsdev and Kuribo64 the most.

That being said, I still need to update the blargSNES pages. bleeeeh

Now if only Nintendo came up with a SNES VC or something to give me incentive to step my game up :P Then again, I could let the PPU side cool down for a while and work on expansion chips.

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
What I'm doing right now is more web shiz. Will affect 4dsdev and Kuribo64 the most.

Now if only Nintendo came up with a SNES VC or something to give me incentive to step my game up :P Then again, I could let the PPU side cool down for a while and work on expansion chips.

I think nintendo will do snes vc on the n3ds at least. If we look at the colours of the buttons we know why :)

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I think nintendo will do snes vc on the n3ds at least. If we look at the colours of the buttons we know why :)

funny because emulation is already possible on older 3dses :P

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Have you ever considered savestates, staple? Or is timing too broken at the moment for that? It is a really great feature to have when you are playing on the go games without a save battery.

CalebW

Fellow Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you ever considered savestates, staple? Or is timing too broken at the moment for that? It is a really great feature to have when you are playing on the go games without a save battery.
I asked him about it and he said he had more important things to work on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Then I can yell at technicians to reverse the polarity