Homebrew blargSnes -- SNES emulator for the 3DS (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Version 0.218 seems to be the version with a working memory viewer, 0.230 beta 6 the memory viewer is broken, so avoid that. But given the history, the emulator is pretty damn accurate. So yeah, use 0.218 English if you so choose :P

http://www.zophar.net/snes/snesgt.html

This is the emulator I liked the most :wub: Plays my smw roms hacks perfectly :bow:

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: VinsCool

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

DingoDango

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why did you name it blarg?

Perhaps he should have called it BlarggSnes?
468824-blaarg_large.jpg

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
For some reason, SnesGT doesn't like Windows 7, won't let me apply a basic filter (linear), huh...oh well :P

Use compatibility mode, that should work.

DingoDango

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Judge Dredd crashes right after I get past the beginning sequence after starting the game. It just takes me right to the home menu and my 3DS asks me to restart.

Kazanye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi. I'd like to adress the subject of nightly-builds again.
I know, I know, StapleButter doesn't want his official thread flooded with links to unstable incremental builds, so that people don't ask support for them. But! Considering I really have no idea how to build them from GitHub sources, I'd very much still appreciate to be able to find the latest unsupported versions somewhere, just to try out the latest improvements.
For example, I've seen that StapleButter has added stereo sound to blarg last night, and I'm dying to check it for myself. I know what some of you will think: "compile or wait, you fool". Still, wouldn't it be nice?

xantoz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi. I'd like to adress the subject of nightly-builds again.
I know, I know, StapleButter doesn't want his official thread flooded with links to unstable incremental builds, so that people don't ask support for them. But! Considering I really have no idea how to build them from GitHub sources, I'd very much still appreciate to be able to find the latest unsupported versions somewhere, just to try out the latest improvements.
For example, I've seen that StapleButter has added stereo sound to blarg last night, and I'm dying to check it for myself. I know what some of you will think: "compile or wait, you fool". Still, wouldn't it be nice?
It isn't that hard to set up a development environment. http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Setting_up_Development_Environment

The tricky part is that
you will need a slightly outdated version of aemstro though because of recent changes... (I could give you a commit checksum or even a zip file but I'm mobile)

Consider it a trial by fire, it'll make you stronger.

Onion_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm using this older commit version:
https://github.com/smealum/aemstro/commit/59828591e8adc7501ea401877458e9994f7b649d

Some games don't have compatibility with it, some do, and I haven't checked whether its this version. The ctrulib from github is also constantly being updated, so using a different commit from that will also probaby yield different compatibility results. One of the reasons why I don't think reporting issues with games using your own compiled version of blagSnes actually helps is, folks aren't reporting in which version of aemstro or ctrulib was used when compiling it. Also we don't know which version of these that StapleButter is using when coding and that again is another variable that isn't known when reporting bugs.

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
I can provide a good aemstro but I'm still having ttrouble compiling this one homebrew :\

Have an rsf, everything setup etc... can compile other brews fine. BUT,I get a 64 bit not compiled in error on makerom :O
Anybody? I'd love a more recent .cia build.

Ewo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using this older commit version:
https://github.com/smealum/aemstro/commit/59828591e8adc7501ea401877458e9994f7b649d

Some games don't have compatibility with it, some do, and I haven't checked whether its this version. The ctrulib from github is also constantly being updated, so using a different commit from that will also probaby yield different compatibility results. One of the reasons why I don't think reporting issues with games using your own compiled version of blagSnes actually helps is, folks aren't reporting in which version of aemstro or ctrulib was used when compiling it. Also we don't know which version of these that StapleButter is using when coding and that again is another variable that isn't known when reporting bugs.
Using a different version of aemstro or ctrulib probably won't change compatibility much. Most likely, if there's an issue with how a more recent/old commit of either implements something, it'll fail spectacularly with everything.

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
In the meantime, I think I know what's going on with Home Alone. The game is merely saving one byte of space by exploiting open-bus behavior to run a no-op function.

When it jumps to 0x60AB, the last byte of data read is the MSB of that address, 0x60. The address is mapped to nothing, so it's open-bus. Thus the CPU, after jumping there, reads 0x60 as an opcode. 0x60 is RTS.

blargSNES doesn't support that. If my theory is true, that should make the game playable.

I also need to do more proper open-bus emulation. Most of the places just return the MSB of the address being read, but this may return a wrong result if indirect addressing is used (a read from 0x5000+X with X=0x0200 would return 0x52 instead of 0x50 for example).

Edit-

WQ1T1bw.png

Well yeah, my theory was right.

The weird jump to 0x60AB was intended behavior. Hah, the tricks programmers pulled back then...

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Super Punch-Out crash the emulator after the "Nintendo" logo (and the sound of the logo have some crackles). Can't click on the bottom screen to change the game.

I'll retry it once 1.3 is released though, to see if it's fixed with all the last changes.

Reactions: LumInvader

Onion_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
Using a different version of aemstro or ctrulib probably won't change compatibility much. Most likely, if there's an issue with how a more recent/old commit of either implements something, it'll fail spectacularly with everything.

True, it does fail pretty spectacularly, at least the last three commits. Current Commit won't compile, the previous two compiled and the lower screen ran but the upper screen just flickered rapidly and displayed nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I know when to stop at least honestly don't get those that go and go with food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or those that order 2 big macs , large fry, ice cream sundie, then a diet coke
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I might get downing two big macs but nah that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok that will be $15.99, cash or charge?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My go to orders usually a mcdouble and a mcchicken and I'm happy rarely mess with fries
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pro tip ask for that clowns jizzmac sauce on your mcdouble
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do they charge extra when you add sauce,etc? I know burger king used to not, but don't know nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They may squrit it for free if you ask nice
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Last time I got bk it was 35c per sauce fuck you king of my nutsack
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll buy a bottle of baby rays BBQ for $2 and add it from home out of spite
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like baby rays, my favorite is KC masterpiece tho. Figured all you could buy is that there.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Baby Rays isn't that what killed the crocodile hunter?
    If only he had done an endorsement for them....
    Oy mate don't let a bad bbq sauce kill your party! Baby Rays are killing it!! The flavor hits you right in the chest!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    My phone only has 13% battery so i don't have much time left
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Now 12%
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday, btw
    Time is running out for your phone!
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    https://youtu.be/JmSqorj-EC0?si=vYqR8D7FZeO4N-TH