Gaming Black Spots (Not Dead Pixels) on PSP 2000 Screen

DMC23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I turned on my PSP 2000 (Darth Vader White version from a few years back) this afternoon to find it has 4 or 5 small dark splotches on the left side of the screen. I am pretty sure they aren't dead pixels - my Phat has 2 dead pixels and these spots look nothing like them/ plus the spots' shape seem too random to be dead pixels. I know the splotches weren't there the day before, so I have no idea what could be wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

KDH

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Could you post a picture? I can't be sure without seeing it, but what you're describing sounds like your PSP's LCD is cracked, and the Liquid Crystals in that section are leaking out.

DMC23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish I could post a picture, but my cell phone camera is the only one I have and the pics are way too low rez to help.

If it was a cracked LCD screen, would you still be able to see the image beneath the spots? Because I can see the image just fine when there is an image - just an outline of the spot and slight dark tint, but the psp game/image, etc. is visible. The spots are most visible on a white background.

I.E. to give a better idea, the spots are around the size of pencil dots ranging from a sharp pencil lead to a dull pencil lead dot.

DMC23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian, if it was just dirt, between the two screens, can it be cleaned? If so, what's the best course of action?

Truth be told, it probably shouldn't bother me so much ... but it does. No logic to it.

KDH

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alright, it's probably not a crack then, but just to be sure: there is no discoloration? The image doesn't shift around in those areas when you shake or tilt the PSP? It doesn't look (even slightly) like someone spilled oil (a sort of rainbow-like array of colors) in that area?

If the answer to all of those questions is 'no', then it's not a cracked screen. I don't know what it is or how serious it is if it's not cracked, but it'll narrow it down at least.

DMC23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KDH said:
Alright, it's probably not a crack then, but just to be sure: there is no discoloration? The image doesn't shift around in those areas when you shake or tilt the PSP? It doesn't look (even slightly) like someone spilled oil (a sort of rainbow-like array of colors) in that area?

If the answer to all of those questions is 'no', then it's not a cracked screen. I don't know what it is or how serious it is if it's not cracked, but it'll narrow it down at least.

No rainbow effect (although the spots appear to be "lit" when I look at the screen from an extreme side angle - don't know how to describe it, the spots just seem to be brighter than the screen around them) and I gave it a good shake and no image distortion or rainbow effect.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
All you need to do is take the faceplate off, blow the dirt/dust off the screen (or wipe it off the back of the faceplate), and put the faceplate back on. I took my faceplate off to replace a faulty analog nub (and a few times after that to adjust the position/height of the new one a bit), it's simple to clean.

There's two screws on the top of the PSP, and one screw at the bottom, remove those. Keep these separate, as the PSP's screws aren't all the same size.
Then flip the PSP over, take the battery out, and undo the four screws shown in the first pic in this guide.
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74258

Flip the PSP back over, and you can simply pull the whole faceplate off (the second picture shows it with the front faceplate removed). Clean the screen and/or the back of the faceplate, put the faceplate back on, replace the screws.

DMC23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I finally had the time to open the PSP up and it's not dirt ... at least not dirt/dust I can easily get to. Had a friend of mine who work with LCDs (most TVs) and he seems to think the spots are either A.) dust on the backlight or B.) small pressure damage points to the LCD itself. Either way, I am going to try to "play through" and if the spots keep bothering me, I will attempt a LCD replacement.

Quick question about the second option - what model of LCD should I get for my PSP Slim (it's the Darth Vader White limited version - I bought it when the Star Wars game/PSP bundle first came out)? I want to make sure I don't order an LCD for the 1000 or the 3000 by accident.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
On that note, can the 3000's screen be used on the 2000? I've read articles about how the 1000 and 2000's screens had a lot of motion blur, but I didn't notice it until I started using emulators (and there it's REALLY noticeable), as well as the screen not being as bright as my DSi's, and supposedly the 3000's screen is brighter... so if they're compatible I might attempt a replacement myself. ^^;

Then I'll have a spare fully-working 2000 LCD if somebody needs it.

67birdman

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It could be that you pressed too hard on the screen, I did that once and had weird looking circles on it.
They go away after a few days...
smile.gif

DMC23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, but the spots have been there over 2 weeks so I doubt they are going anywhere.

Could someone please tell me:

A. Will a PSP-3000 LCD work in a PSP-2000?
B. What model of LCD do I need to order to go in my PSP-2000?

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
DMC23 said:
Thanks, but the spots have been there over 2 weeks so I doubt they are going anywhere.

Could someone please tell me:

A. Will a PSP-3000 LCD work in a PSP-2000?
B. What model of LCD do I need to order to go in my PSP-2000?

3000 screens to not work in 2000.

Not sure what model of screen you need to get but from the sounds of it you pressed on your screen a bit. I did the same thing with mine when I opened it up to clean it, however a few days later a few friends of mine were fooling around and dropped on my pocket, with PSP inside. I havent fixed the shattered screen since.

Hito

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having this same problem too. The screen has had no excess pressure (and certainly nothing close to enough pressure in small enough areas to cause individual pixel-sized dots), has not been dropped, and it is not dust. It's almost like each pixel was painted on to the screen but cannot be scraped or wiped off. Strangely it's only happened on one of the PSPs I have, but both are the same model and were purchased around the same time, both new.

Anyone have any other ideas?

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
Hito said:
I'm having this same problem too. The screen has had no excess pressure (and certainly nothing close to enough pressure in small enough areas to cause individual pixel-sized dots), has not been dropped, and it is not dust. It's almost like each pixel was painted on to the screen but cannot be scraped or wiped off. Strangely it's only happened on one of the PSPs I have, but both are the same model and were purchased around the same time, both new.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Sounds a lot like Dead Pixels, if its only 1 pixel in size its almost guaranteed.

Yanazake

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
from what he said, it's not 1x1 pixel sized...

I think you got and AIDA infection on your psp, be sure not to look too much t it, or go play .hack LINK to get rid of it xD

OK, bad joke, but it's the closest thing that I ever saw based on you descriptions, heh~

TwilightFireFox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
George Dawes said:
The original sounds like water damage.

I think so too.

I noticed a week ago my psp had these same type of spots. I had it in a bag with a couple cold drinks in them but the psp was in
its case. Somehow the condensation must have effected the screen causing what looks to be water damage on it.

I just want to know is my only hopes of getting rid of those dark smudgy spots to replace the entire screen itself or is there something else i can do??

I took a picture of it. Due to the quality of the pic the spots don't look nearly as bad. The best way to describe these spots. I mean they look identical to what you would see if you wet ink on a piece of paper.

leftsidepspsspot.jpg

pspspots.jpg

The spots are on the left and right side of the screen. Not sure if this
helps but its a psp-2000/slim and besides having that psp in a bag with
some cold drinks. Its been well taken care of. I barely take it out with
me. Unlike my psp-1000/phat that I have thrown around, taken with me
cross country, to the beach where there's sand, moisture and its screen is perfect.
Not even one dead pixel on it but its not as cool as the psp-2000. Emu's run
way better off that. Also less motion blur.

So can anyone help me out here? Is there anything I can do to get rid of those spots on
the psp-2000 or what?

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Do you have screen protectors? because it just looks like there's been some "something" with the screen protectors... so just lift it up and put it back down
smile.gif
(that's what I can help with atleast)

EDIT: Oh, if it is condensation on the inside of the screen, maybe you could just open the console up and wipe it clean with micro fiber napkins
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol