Gaming Black Sigil - New RPG

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hmmm... Vampire Parrot, sounds like fun!
smile.gif

I like old-school RPG's the best, I'll be looking forward to this!

Venko

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm deeply anticipating the release of Black Sigil. I wouldn't say it's heavily based on Chrono Trigger like some of you seem to think. The battle engine appears to be use a few ideas from Chrono Trigger though. Anyhow, looks like it will be the best RPG on the DS.

World Destruction also looks decent but nothing special in comparison with Black Sigil.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Well the team behind WD actually has guys in it that worked on Chrono Trigger and FF7 from what I've read, few others too.
Both games are sure to be good but with BS originally being made for the GBA, may just miss the mark now it's DS. I read it's been ready since last year but they couldn't find a publisher... not a good sign imo.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been following Black Sigil for a long time too. The retro style and everything about it is something I'm quite fond of. With the constant push for 3D I'm glad there's still some good looking old-fashioned 2D games being made.

That said, World Destruction looks fantastic too. It's good to know my DS will still be getting a good amount of playtime on it in the future.

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Venko said:
I'm deeply anticipating the release of Black Sigil. I wouldn't say it's heavily based on Chrono Trigger like some of you seem to think. The battle engine appears to be use a few ideas from Chrono Trigger though. Anyhow, looks like it will be the best RPG on the DS.

World Destruction also looks decent but nothing special in comparison with Black Sigil.

i dont know if you can say BEST RPG on the DS.... there are quite a few that are good

Venko

Trophies
XP
Country
I would say that the graphics are good though, kelnoky. Perhaps you're not as fond of the graphics that RPGs have traditionally used as I.

Unchi-san said:
Venko said:
i dont know if you can say BEST RPG on the DS.... there are quite a few that are good

Yeah, but this is the kind of RPG that I've grown to love over the years. Retro goodness on my DS
smile.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian said:
xblackoutx said:
damn. bad graphics by the look of it.
You do know that its gameplay that counts right?

I like the retro graphics, that's the developers intentions.

Well, I never can resist taking the bait on this discussion, but they don't call them "video" games for nothing. Sure, if it ain't fun, it ain't fun. But if graphics didn't matter, no one would be buying the 360 and / or PS3. They matter, man. To that end, it's not just that the game has 2D graphics, it's just that it looks so dated and uninspired in that area. Again though, to each his own; if "retro" is your thing, this game definitely looks the part. But I ain't expecting much in the gameplay dept., either.
wink.gif

zoharmodifier

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
irpacynot said:
Hadrian said:
xblackoutx said:
damn. bad graphics by the look of it.
You do know that its gameplay that counts right?

I like the retro graphics, that's the developers intentions.

Well, I never can resist taking the bait on this discussion, but they don't call them "video" games for nothing. Sure, if it ain't fun, it ain't fun. But if graphics didn't matter, no one would be buying the 360 and / or PS3. They matter, man. To that end, it's not just that the game has 2D graphics, it's just that it looks so dated and uninspired in that area. Again though, to each his own; if "retro" is your thing, this game definitely looks the part. But I ain't expecting much in the gameplay dept., either.
wink.gif
2D graphics can be good. Even in this generation, 2D games are being made -- sure, most of them for handheld systems, but still, they can be impressive. This game could have had cleaner 32-bit graphics like most other 2D DS games (Dawn of Sorrow, Yoshi's Island, Pokemon, etc.), but it chose to stick with 16-bit graphics. I feel like that's acceptable, especially since they're done well.

The PSP has some great looking 2D games, like Patapon, Loco Roco, flOw, Dracula X Chronicles (pseudo-2D), and even Lumines.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I like well-done 2D graphics, but going back to NES/before NES graphics is too much for me to bear. It's hard to tell what's going on on the screen sometimes.

Tbh, I love beautiful graphics, but most of the time in the game you stop ogling and actually play it. That's the point, in the gameplay!

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mmmmm... Looks really tasty. Personally, I'll take any decent ARPG I can get on the DS. Will definitely try, and probably buy if it's decent. I like to try to support development houses that target North America.

And hell, if it turns out to be a Chrono / Mana SNES clone, all the better as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the news Hadrian.

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oh...I think I actually remember something like this for the GBA! I never put 2 and 2 together until this moment.

I sure hope it comes out okay, maybe they'll release two versions, GBA and DS.

zoharmodifier

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thebobevil said:
NightKry said:
Aww.. I was hoping for the battle system to be more like Tales of Phantasia.. or the Tales games in general... =P

This isn't a Japanese game, or a clone of a Japanese game ...

Why do people want Western games to just be clones of Japanese games?
Looks to me that it is pretty much a clone of a Japanese game... follows a lot of the same styles, I think. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Though, I don't think people don't want Western games to be "clones" of Japanese games, they just want more games that are in the "style" of Japanese games. Look at all the notable games Western developers have made -- GTA, Halo, God of War, etc. Compare that to things like The World Ends With You, Final Fantasy, Mario, etc. Very different. "Western" and "Japanese" games are pretty much their own genres. Personally, I just want to see more Western developers take on that style of game development.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs