Hacking Black Screen Brick - Any solutions?

Eggman4527

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so I've been helping my friend use Homebrew on his Wii. He was system menu version 4.0 or 4.1, I'm not entirely sure. No BootMii or Preloader, because most of the .WADs he uses I check on my Wii first, with BootMii. He only hacked his Wii to use .WADs (mostly free VC games). Anyway, he was installing just a free VC .WAD (not injected, just normal Paper Mario 64 from a legit source). He started installing the Paper Mario .WAD on WAD Manager 1.5 and used IOS 36. Halfway during the installation, the idiot thought that it froze and unplugged the Wii. Now, when he boots, he just has a black screen on his Wii. No Opera error message, no corrupt files message, no nothing. The Wii starts up at a blank screen. It reads the game inserted in it (which I assumed caused there's a "whirring" noise in the Wii.

Is there anything we can do? Does SaveMiiFrii work on a full-brick (which I assume this is)? The idea that the AV cables were acting up came up too, but I tried them on my Wii and they're fine. Thanks in advance!

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Does he see the Health Screen? A bad WAD isn't going to cause a full brick, but it could cause a Banner Brick (which sounds similar to these symptoms).

SaveMiiFrii *might* be able to autoboot for you, toss in a game and see if you can boot it by holding down the GCN plus pad in slot 4. If it works, you can make an autobooting disc with a recovery tool.

No BootMii or Preloader was a terrible idea. Never install wads without boot protection. Also, there is no such thing as free VC from a legit source.

The Pink Gato

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Eggman4527 said:
Alright, so I've been helping my friend use Homebrew on his Wii. He was system menu version 4.0 or 4.1, I'm not entirely sure. No BootMii or Preloader, because most of the .WADs he uses I check on my Wii first, with BootMii. He only hacked his Wii to use .WADs (mostly free VC games). Anyway, he was installing just a free VC .WAD (not injected, just normal Paper Mario 64 from a legit source). He started installing the Paper Mario .WAD on WAD Manager 1.5 and used IOS 36. Halfway during the installation, the idiot thought that it froze and unplugged the Wii. Now, when he boots, he just has a black screen on his Wii. No Opera error message, no corrupt files message, no nothing. The Wii starts up at a blank screen. It reads the game inserted in it (which I assumed caused there's a "whirring" noise in the Wii.

Is there anything we can do? Does SaveMiiFrii work on a full-brick (which I assume this is)? The idea that the AV cables were acting up came up too, but I tried them on my Wii and they're fine. Thanks in advance!

"No BootMii or Preloader, because most of the .WADs he uses I check on my Wii first, with BootMii."

No matter if you scan it, check it, or do anything, WADs are still unsafe to use.

NEVER, I MEAN NEVER UNPLUG YOUR WII NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

I am not sure if you can use SaveMiiFrii, because it states that it can be used for Opera errors.
You could try it, and it could work OR you could have wasted $50.00.
(WARNING: NOT EASY FOR NOVICES)

~modmystuff~

Eggman4527

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Szalkow said:
Does he see the Health Screen? A bad WAD isn't going to cause a full brick, but it could cause a Banner Brick (which sounds similar to these symptoms).

SaveMiiFrii *might* be able to autoboot for you, toss in a game and see if you can boot it by holding down the GCN plus pad in slot 4. If it works, you can make an autobooting disc with a recovery tool.

No BootMii or Preloader was a terrible idea. Never install wads without boot protection. Also, there is no such thing as free VC from a legit source.

Yeah, looking back on it, no BootMii or Preloader was a horrible move. I guess I got cocky cause I got BootMii on mine as a boot2, so I figured I was indestructible and never really thought about putting it on his. And no, the Health Screen doesn't even show up, which I thought was strange, considering the normal thing is a message saying "The system files are corrupt". I'll try SaveMiiFrii in a bit here.

QUOTE(modmystuff @ Nov 10 2009, 03:38 AM) NEVER, I MEAN NEVER UNPLUG YOUR WII NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I yelled a good bit at him for pulling the plug.

Thanks a lot for your replies and support!

Eggman4527

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update - Just tried SaveMiiFrii with Animal Crossing: City Folk. Didn't work. Can anybody ball-park how much Nintendo would charge him to repair a Wii with Homebrew Channel on it?

joda

Trophies
XP
Country
Just tell them it bricked when you tried to update to 4.2 and hope for the best.

Posts merged

Other than that, you could install a modchip and boot a wad-manager autoboot disc through SaveMii(free) to repair it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    aroma
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    in that case, there is no such thing as homebrew launcher for aroma
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    you have to launch your homebrews directly from the wii u menu
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    there is a plugin that display them on the wii u menu, pretty sure it is enabled by default
    so like it doesnt exist
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New hamster PC, with anal operation and BT connectivity!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, How do I make enemies respawn on gdevelop after
    the player dies?
    Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!
    Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!