Black screen after Nintendo logo, but this one is weird

digipimp75

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey folks. I have a V1 unpatched Switch here that I modded with a trinket m0 chip about 2 years ago. Everything was working fine until recently, and now if I power it on (sysNand), the Nintendo logo appears followed by a black screen. In Atmosphere, it gets past the first Nintendo logo but hangs at the "Nintendo Switch" logo. I can get into hekate without any issues.

But here's the weird part... if I clean the area around M92T36 with a drop of IPA and qtip, then power on, it boots up fine in both nands! Once it's on, everything is completely normal. It charges, plays games, docks properly, connects to wifi, etc. Something is causing this console to fail the second phase of the boot process, but what could it be? Furthermore, why does it work when I clean the area with IPA?? I can only assume that this process is creating a temporary short and somehow "resetting" the chip, but who knows.

Things I've tried so far:
- desoldered the trinket chip. no change
- replaced M92T36. no change
- checked for shorts around all of the usual suspects (BQ, M92t36, PI3USB). None found
- checked the eMMC info in Hekate and it reads fine
- checked the battery gauge in Hekate, and it looks normal
- tried a different known working battery
- checked voltage on pins 5 & 6 on M92t36. They're reading 3.3v
- tried with and without sd card. same behavior

Any ideas on what the heck could be causing this issue? Obviously it's not ideal (or safe) to keep cleaning the M92 chip before powering on the Switch, but I'm at a loss here.

Last edited by digipimp75,

digipimp75

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How did you solve this?

I've got a similar issue

I had to change 2 of the 100k resistors next to the M92T36 chip. They tested fine with a multimeter, but I figured out that the Switch would only boot if i swabbed these specific components with isopropyl alcohol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto