Status
Not open for further replies.

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the original reset glitch hack for the xbox 360 required a glitcher chip
this was the case up until very recently when some Russian discovered a way to use the consoles own hardware to glitch the console instead of using TX's RGH chip or a clone glitcher chip
this is a really new concept.

It may also be relevant to the switch because it also uses a glitcher chip from TX( or "HWFLY" TX incognito?)
so this new idea of using a consoles own hardware to perform the glitching instead of a separate chip
might be able to be applied to the switch as well.
but like I said it would only have the benefit of not requiring you to purchase an expensive chip
and possibly make for a simpler hard mod procedure, it would not make any other difference
or lead to new exploits,
Also very likely that has not been looked into yet for the mariko switch models
or it could have been by TX but even if were discovered by TX they would probably have kept it secret to sell their chip
or maybe not since they could probably have come up with a different business model selling NAND reader/flashers or chip clips if such a thing would be required
I see.

I did some quick research on glitching and the XB 360 and Tegra CPUs. Glitching seems to involve futzing with the CPU voltage at the right moment to get unintended things to happen. This usually involves an external device that can fiddle with the voltage, check for success, reset if needed, and finally do something after success.

In the case of the XB 360 it was discovered that the CPU did not fully reset if the reset signal was only received momentarily. My guess is that they figured out a way to signal this reset very precisely and allow unsigned code execution reliably and repeatedly.

In the case of the Tegra CPUs, it appears to be using the glitch, test, reset loop until successful and finally executing the unsigned code. I'm also taking a guess that this is what happens repeatedly during the modchip training so that it learns roughly when to glitch for it to be successful. I have no idea what it is testing for though. The unsigned code is obviously hekate and atmosphere. This is why the modchip is needed and I seriously doubt it would be possible to have the console perform the glitch, test, reset loop let alone injecting and executing unsigned code after. Obviously the timing and success condition are the secret sauce of the TX and HWFLY chips. If that gets released then we can indeed create own modchips for a fraction of the current cost.

Last edited by l7777,
Reactions: Takokeshi

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
everything can be hacked, but you cant be 24/7 whining about a exploit, you only have 2 choices then: wait for someone to hack it or do it yourself, is so easy to open a thred here saying 'hey check if the joycons firmware can be a exploit' when u have zero idea of how the switch works or even dont know how to code
I do know how to code... in Scratch. But don't even try to teach me Assembly, because that is the worst programming language ever.

Misunderstood Wookie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm pretty sure homebrew and cfw happend very early in the switches cycle.
I think cfw was available around 1 year after release, with preview videos for cfw and homebrew via pegaswitch released even before that.
Also at the point the patched switches got to the market, there where already millions of hackable switches released.
Yeah but I mean if that continued it is likely Nintendo would not have invested as much time into it, the thing about hacked switches is not really that it is bad it is just that it gets abused and then Nintendo doesn't make better products or may not release newer updated of the same product because the $ line is a market failure but that said that is only with the games the console itself will fly of the shelf lol.

I think if Nintendo want us to stop they should stop holding the product back in first place, there is no reason they cannot do what Microsoft has done with the Xbox and offer a certified way to get access to the Dev Kit and run home brew on the console at least all that stuff is now verified and we can still do it but we cannot run pirated games of that generation.

Which means their bottom lines are not hurt and we can still make cool mods and legally run emulation.

Last edited by Misunderstood Wookie,
Reactions: VeniaSilente

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Team Xecuter made the OG RGH for the 360 and it required a chip and a lot more than 4 wires
the new mod only came along recently and was discovered by someone other than TX.
This new method of using a console to glitch itself is new and was not even known about when TX glitched the mariko chip
it is a new direction that I said *MAYBE* could be looked into to accomplish the same thing with the switch RGH.
Of course it will not lead to any different models becoming exploitable or exploitable through a totally different means
all it would do for sure is make it so that those who want to RGH their mariko's not need to buy a $115+ mod chip
and maybe make it easier to install.
And if TX knew of a method similar to the RGH3 for the switch they would not publicize it because then they could not have sold their glitch chips because all you need are 2 lengths of wire and resistor , same goes for HWFLY (who are probably one in the same)
How about something that DOES NOT REQUIRE SOLDERING AT ALL?
Even better, a softmod.

Misunderstood Wookie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Even better, a softmod.
You really are pissed about the price of entry for Switch modding...
I wish I could mod my switch but right now I cannot.. I am not about to go buy the 2nd switch to just homebrew that.
I rather spend that money on an Xbox Series S and homebrew that instead as it's a more current system.

Is there possibly a way to do it.... maybe can the current people who tried do it... at least not what they have told anyone publicly. Security is just getting better I agree with you arguing about flaws everything has flaws there is probably a flaw we have yet not tried but honestly messing the with mainboard is likely a lot easier than trying to find a way to throw a payload down some exploited code source.

Many things require soldering I don't really see it as huge negative sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do....

I would prefer a soft mod just when is that going to come and is it going to come in a time frame that the switch even matters.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well yeah it's just a click of button if readback is not disabled in the configuration. For obvious reasons hwfly would disable readback so people can't get their FPGA bitstream. Any attempt to hack/recover the firmware at this point would be working directly against xilinx/amd. Trust if you can find a vulnerability in their design that can bypass the readback protection it's gonna be way more useful than say hacking the modchip.

Anyway I don't think the FPGA chip on the modchip is doing a very complicated job, so shouldn't be hard to reverse engineer it. Correct me if i was wrong
you may not understand what I was talking about. Protected MCUs, and PICs and such in Arcade machines (readback disabled) are taken care of by de-capping the chip. There is no protection for that. It is just very costly to get it done, and extremely tedious to type out the binary from studying pictures of the chip. Pictures are taken with an electron microscope, and you can physically see the 1s and 0s...

http://caps0ff.blogspot.com/

HelloShitty

Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Even better, a softmod.
How about you go to do your homework for tomorrow's class and stop playing games like if there is no tomorrow?
You really should be spending your time in useful things other than just playing the whole f... day. That's not a good way of living.

How about you ask your parents the money to buy the original games so that you don't have to soft noR hard mod your consoles?

Or even better, how about you keep studying so that in a few years you can be a good (or at least reasonable) engineer and perform the hard mods and actually enjoy the challenge? (this is actually my case - late graduate, and enjoying programming, electronics, etc, as a hobby).

Last edited by HelloShitty,

britain4

Trophies
XP
Country
These threads :wtf: nobody owes you anything OP, I'm sorry hacking a Switch is so frustrating to you but you really do seem to have a massive sense of entitlement on this

If it could be done, it would have been done, maybe that'll change in the future but for now those are the facts so please stop making threads whining about it and find something else to focus on

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even better, a softmod.
So about that, even the unpatched Switch isn't a soft mod. The Switch CPU is tricked into RCM mode via hardware mod, shorting the joycon pins. The software that is then exploited to gain access to the rest of the system is the RCM software.

Since you know that there must be some way to soft mod the switch though you should do it and publish your findings. I suspect you'll be handsomely rewarded for it.

Reactions: Hayato213

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You really are pissed about the price of entry for Switch modding...
I wish I could mod my switch but right now I cannot.. I am not about to go buy the 2nd switch to just homebrew that.
I rather spend that money on an Xbox Series S and homebrew that instead as it's a more current system.

Is there possibly a way to do it.... maybe can the current people who tried do it... at least not what they have told anyone publicly. Security is just getting better I agree with you arguing about flaws everything has flaws there is probably a flaw we have yet not tried but honestly messing the with mainboard is likely a lot easier than trying to find a way to throw a payload down some exploited code source.

Many things require soldering I don't really see it as huge negative sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do....

I would prefer a soft mod just when is that going to come and is it going to come in a time frame that the switch even matters.
or just get a steam deck it can emulate switch and most other stuff lol

Reactions: mathew77

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I do know how to code... in Scratch. But don't even try to teach me Assembly, because that is the worst programming language ever.

It's fine, I won't try to teach you assembly. But if you want to exploit a console then you'll probably have to learn it.

So I guess you're stuck.

Reactions: Takokeshi

Misunderstood Wookie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
or just get a steam deck it can emulate switch and most other stuff lol
I have talked about that already in the Homebrew Discords.
I am not confident the steam deck is really viable yet it still seems like there is a lot more Valve needs to do before I want to sink that kind of money into a new handheld it seems so far not even Guaranteed to work in the steam lib means what it says I don't want to have to fiddle with native games to get them perfect.

I do like the steam deck I think its progress in the gaming world will be a good shake up will pick one up eventually when more of the software side is polished.

I think Xbox Series S is my next move perhaps as I know retroarch runs on that and I just wanna use it to stream my PC to it and use it for playing xbox game pass so it makes a bit more sense as I can play my library on it for the most part hmm its hard to decide really I just don't think the Steam Deck is nearly as polished as anything outside of the Valve approved is a bit jank rtn to setup.

HelloShitty

Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Assembly ain't that hard, if you understand one programming language you can learn other language, it is just syntax.

I agree partially. :) Low level languages requires a bit more knowledge than simply programming syntax and logic and algos!
I mean, at least when it comes to embedded systems where knowing how memory works and how data is accessed makes quite some difference, I think! And this is the sense that one get when working with low level languages, that higher level languages simply obfuscate from the programmer!

As an example, and I'm not expert programmer or anything like that, but it's confusing to me any programming language that doesn't require you to declare the data types of the variables you're working with. I know that with Assembly it is a bit different, but I talk about what I like most, which is C.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not confident the steam deck is really viable yet it still seems like there is a lot more Valve needs to do before I want to sink that kind of money into a new handheld it seems so far not even Guaranteed to work in the steam lib means what it says I don't want to have to fiddle with native games to get them perfect.

I do like the steam deck I think its progress in the gaming world will be a good shake up will pick one up eventually when more of the software side is polished.

I think Xbox Series S is my next move perhaps as I know retroarch runs on that and I just wanna use it to stream my PC to it and use it for playing xbox game pass so it makes a bit more sense as I can play my library on it for the most part hmm its hard to decide really I just don't think the Steam Deck is nearly as polished as anything outside of the Valve approved is a bit jank rtn to setup.
Re: your username - if you frequently find yourself being misunderstood, it's probably because of the run-on sentences and lack of punctuation. Hope that helps!

Elodain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even better, a softmod.

Translation: Wah wah wah I'm mad because I cant have what I want without putting effort into it.

Grow the fuck up kid. No softmod that has ever existed was made without the help of a hardmod somewhere. Even the Wii, one of the easiest consoles to mod required hardware tinkering to get the softmods going. You know WHY the team that kickstarted the modding and created Homebrew Channel was called Team Twiizers? Because they used a pair of TWEESERS to bridge HARDWARE components in order to access Wii only information while the console was in Gamecube Mode, which means in order to run their program to display the info, a MODCHIP had to be used.

Back in the PS1 days, if you wanted to play burned games without a modchip, you had to open the console, use a wad of paper to hold down a physical switch that would allow the disc to spin with the lid open so that you could manually switch a legit game with a burned one, which also meant you needed good timing, as you needed to do it twice while the console was authenticating the legit disc.

Everything comes back to hardware.

Maybe instead of spending all your time bitching at strangers because you cant have your way, go do some extra chores to earn the money to buy an unpatched system.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is an easy and cheaper way, it's called selling your Switch, and using that money to buy an og Switch. I do agree though, the newer Switches will eventually get hacked, they always do.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

well I've been playing Metal Gear Solid 5, Elden Ring and emulating Ps3 games (among other systems) on a handheld so its good enough for me lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyxeZ7JYwZs&pp=ygUJVnIgaXMgZ2F5 +1