Better, less expensive hardmods

Status
Not open for further replies.

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
...And pay $400 extra because it's sold for $600 (2x MSRP); and an used switch sells for ~$200.

Also, eBay is a honeypot for scammers.
youre just too lazy to search ...did 5 min research you could get unpatched v1 for 150euros (from your profil i could get youre from czech republik ) if even 150 euros is too much you could buy tablet only for 90 euros (my guess you have already a switch but its a patched one) so youre excuse of its too expensive will not work

Chaosta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...And pay $400 extra because it's sold for $600 (2x MSRP); and an used switch sells for ~$200.

ebay is backed by purchase protection... and I see hackable tablets on ebay for $200-250 all day. maybe gitgud at the internet instead of crying lil a baby back bitch on here every week.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think more the Nintendo Ninja's
I can see that side of it, tho there's always ways to release things anonymously. If people have shared multiple huge Nintendo data leaks without getting ninja'd in the face, a little FPGA code shouldn't be that hard.

It's clear that anyone who has written their own version of the code and then started selling chips at three-figure prices isn't going to share the code in order to protect their own profits, but if anyone else has reimplemented it for not-profit reasons, and would prefer to see the ridiculous prices driven down, then releasing it anonymously seems like the obvious way to go.

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Your math is off, you can buy a brand new pre-modded OLED Switch from a well known modder for less than $600.

eBay actually has more protection for buyers than sellers at this point.

What's your end goal/desired outcome for this thread?

Reactions: binkinator

I_AM_L_FORCE

Unban me from Discord
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, you've all been yelling on me that "sOfTmOd iS iMpOsSiBlE", but there could be less expensive and easier to do hardmods. For example, have you looked into the joycon pins? These are one of the only exposed contacts. These can flash firmware to joycons, why hasn't anyone looked into these?
There is an easy softmod, buy an earlier system.

alex61194

Trophies
XP
Country

stop crying omg, dont you like it that unpatched switch dosent have a softmod then DO IT YOURSELF

Deleted member 559230

Trophies
XP
I don't tend to agree with the OP about most of the stuff he's posting, but I do agree that people are always like "X system can't be hacked, it'll never see a exploit or modchip", then an exploit is released and these same people don't even take the time to admit they were wrong and do the same thing over and over again for the next generation of consoles. These sorts are worse then the OP.

Reactions: Takokeshi

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyway what I'm wondering is if it's possible to reverse engineer hwfly's FPGA firmware and build an open source hardware project with it? iirc they did nothing but managed to grab team xecuter's code.
The work that has been done on the other half is quite awesome (hwfly-nx firmware). Since there is no suicide battery setup, it is actually trivial to get the code. Problem is that nobody is willing to spend the time and money. Ever hear of the MAME decapping project(s)? You de-cap a protected MCU (or whatever... don't know anything about an fpga that precludes this from being done), take super high resolution pictures of it, then manually write the code in binary. Barring a suicide battery backed encryption key, this is an unstoppable solution. Albeit costly and time consuming.

Of course, I'm quite content with my chipped OLED (with the latest hwfly-nx firmware on it) and Erista with an RCMLoader.
Precisely why I've given up entirely on the Switch hacking scene as a whole.
Then why are you here, exactly? I'm bored, myself, because the shows I like watching are on break...

alex61194

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't tend to agree with the OP about most of the stuff he's posting, but I do agree that people are always like "X system can't be hacked, it'll never see a exploit or modchip", then an exploit is released and these same people don't even take the time to admit they were wrong and do the same thing over and over again for the next generation of consoles. These sorts are worse then the OP.
everything can be hacked, but you cant be 24/7 whining about a exploit, you only have 2 choices then: wait for someone to hack it or do it yourself, is so easy to open a thred here saying 'hey check if the joycons firmware can be a exploit' when u have zero idea of how the switch works or even dont know how to code

trimesh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong

I don't think anyone that knows what they are talking about is trying to claim anything is permanently unhackable - just that "old Nintendo" days of really low-hanging fruit for exploitation appear to be past. So far the Switch has had a boot ROM exploit courtesy of nVidia and after that was patched out the next exploit relied on fault injection - compare this to older Nintendo systems that had multiple critical exploits and you can see they have upped their game in this regard a lot.

Having said that, I really don't think exploits in the sort of easily accessible parts of the system that the OP was talking about are very likely - they are exactly the bits any competent designer would spend a lot of time thinking and minimizing the attack surface of.

Reactions: Tomato123

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those who haven’t seen it, here’s Kate Temkin’s informative keynote at hardware.io 2018:

(point being that Ninty spent a lot of time hardening the software)

Reactions: rantex92

VeniaSilente

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire

Lol we're *literally* at this point, we have exploits, and we have modchips. Fair point yeah, those who complain about that truly are worse than OP in that they are detached from reality. I don't know what they are using, but 4/20 was not too long ago.

Everything *can* be hacked, that's just a physical certainty (mathematically proven) of things. The problem is what it does cost to get the thing hacked. Hacking some things literally takes longer than the expected life of the universe, let alone that of the human race, and throwing more people at the problem doesn't always solve it. The Switch, for all intents and purposes, is considered hacked (we have the two options available, they are proven to work, one of them is even unfixable). While if would be great if something more definitive came up in terms of exploits, it's not gonna be before EOL. Furthermore, if you want it so much, do put your own contributiion to it. Perhaps a research team or funding for one, or hiring a few days of time on one of the 10 largers supercomputer clusters in the world to advance a bit in hacking the master keys, or something. A thread here? It barely counts as marginal complaint, even.

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since there is no suicide battery setup, it is actually trivial to get the code.
Well yeah it's just a click of button if readback is not disabled in the configuration. For obvious reasons hwfly would disable readback so people can't get their FPGA bitstream. Any attempt to hack/recover the firmware at this point would be working directly against xilinx/amd. Trust if you can find a vulnerability in their design that can bypass the readback protection it's gonna be way more useful than say hacking the modchip.

Anyway I don't think the FPGA chip on the modchip is doing a very complicated job, so shouldn't be hard to reverse engineer it. Correct me if i was wrong

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your math is off, you can buy a brand new pre-modded OLED Switch from a well known modder for less than $600.

eBay actually has more protection for buyers than sellers at this point.

What's your end goal/desired outcome for this thread?
I sold a OG PS4 with an upgraded 1TB SSD and the buyer told eBay a week later that I scammed him and it wasn’t the pro model (pictures and description showed it was clearly an OG model)

eBay than maid me pay for return shipping cause the guy couldn’t read so I lost like $50

Elodain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Bruh, I spent $180 after tax and with free shipping on mine. It was the tablet portion only (since I already had the dock and Joycons from buying a patched model) and it arrived in a week. I found it by searching "nintendo switch" instead of "unpatched switch" and payed attention to the serial numbers listed in different listings.

Time to start learning how to buy things on the internet kid.

Reactions: KiiWii

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I mean its not like the switch cant be hacked, we have ways to exploit it, like the modchips.
And on the software side, we have full reimplementations of the parts needed for a full software exploit. These parts where also looked at by multiple people with quite a bit of expirence, so its not that unlikelly that there might never be another software only exploit and everything else is just wishfull thinking not base on facts.
If someone wants to learn how the switch works and check it out themself, nobody is stopping them, and maybe one of they might hit the jackpot and find some smaller flaws that can be combined to make them exploitablet.
But anyone going in expecting to certainly find something will just set themself up for disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: https://metalgear.fandom.com/wiki/Metal_Gear +1