Bethesda releases several retro titles on Steam ahead of bethesda.net launcher closure

FRTDS7KXwAQtmcw.jpg

As announced in February, Bethesda will soon be shutting down the bethesda.net launcher and allowing users to migrate their purchases and in-game currencies to Steam. Account migration will begin tomorrow, according to a new post on the Bethesda blog, and after May 11 players will not be able to use the bethesda.net launcher at all. In preparation for this, Bethesda released several classic games on Steam that have been available on bethesda.net for some time now.

The first two games in the Elder Scrolls series, Arena and Daggerfall, are free to play. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, an open-source multiplayer Wolfenstein game, is also still free as it was when it first released. Finally, two Elder Scrolls spin-offs, The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard and An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire, are also available for $5.99USD each.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's pretty funny that Microsoft has totally just given up on their own Windows store for Steam releases instead.

Not that that isn't a good thing though. Wonder if Game Pass will ever get integrated into Steam?
Microsoft was the one responsible for digging the M$ store into its own grave ever since "Games for Windows – Live" was a thing. All their vague promises to support the PC community from way back when, claiming to take it seriously when it was such a niche platform, only to double down on prioritizing XBox instead while removing some of their popular XBox titles from Windows in a backhanded effort to bolster Xbox by making it the only option available to play those bait-and-switch game titles behind their walled garden (e.g., Halo 3 and Gears 2). And as a result, PC gamers like myself at that time stopped taking Microsoft's PC initiative claims seriously and we supported Steam instead. Don't get me started w/ how buggy their "Games for Windows – Live" platform was and then users like myself were forced to research Google (before Reddit became widely known) to fetch workarounds for their problems they refused to fix. Another thing that comes to mind contains 3 letters: UWP... So Microsoft doubled back by making another attempt to get into the good graces of the PC gamers since they realized they fvcked up early on after abandoning us b/c they started to notice how much PC market share Steam had, but to say you're (M$) going to turn a new leaf by releasing games on PC, but instead produce them in that God-forbidden format (UWP) was blasphemy and virtually could be compared to a wall-garden on PC since it wasn't the standard PE format (.exe) we were used to; talk a/b NO mods 🙄😒. The PC community never forgets, and that's why Microsoft gave up on the Windows store for Steam instead. Forgive me for my rant, I'll get off my soap box now, lol.

Reactions: Henx

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Enemy Territory not available in Germany? ......or am i too dumb to find it in my Steam Store?
Enemy Territory is one of the few Wolfenstein games not blacklisted by the BPJM - however, the steam version is not available in germany. Following the store link (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1873030/Wolfenstein_Enemy_Territory/), steam tells us the game is not availble.

1651050008055.png

I am not sure if valve/bethesda mistakenly blocked the game in germany, thinking it was banned or if they need to specifically adapt the game to the german market (e.g. removing swastikas, even though the hard ban of swastikas in video games is no longer active in germany)

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do i have the abilitiy to change the store Location?
no, steam blocks the store page - amongst others - on your IP geolocation.

You can try to trick the store using a VPN to get the game, but you should be aware that that is technically against the steam TOS and you'd be using this at your own risk.

Last edited by Localhorst86,
Reactions: Blauhasenpopo

Darksabre72

Blue Falcon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's pretty funny that Microsoft has totally just given up on their own Windows store for Steam releases instead.

Not that that isn't a good thing though. Wonder if Game Pass will ever get integrated into Steam?
probably only a matter of time, considering the steam deck is doing numbers.

Blauhasenpopo

GBATemp's Funeral Director
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
no, steam blocks the store page - amongst others - on your IP geolocation.

You can try to trick the store using a VPN to get the game, but you should be aware that that is technically against the steam TOS and you'd be using this at your own risk.
Thx for your knowledge :)

Yulian_guardsman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia

When will halo wars 2 arrive on steam? nobody knows. 343i sure is content to take credit for creative assemblies' work creating the banished in the first place though. They even removed HW2 from the official halo site.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1