Hacking beta (english) FW is all you need (chinese g6lite)

pubjoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry if this has been discussed...

I'm still using the beta firmware on my chinese g6lite - which allows english menus.

I'm also using the lastest 4.1F U-disk manager.

EVERYTHING works... Mario 3-on-3, Starfox command... I really don't see any need to update to the latest chinese-only firmware.

It must be the U-disk updates that improve compatability with newer (troublesome) games. The firmware version does not seem to affect compatability at all.

I think the only thing I'm missing out on is the little battery and clock icons on the G6 menu.

XxMxVxPxX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can i have a link to the newest pc loader in english. no wonder i couldnt get mario 3-3 to work, i just diddnt want to upgrade past beta

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this has been discussed...

I'm still using the beta firmware on my chinese g6lite - which allows english menus.

I'm also using the lastest 4.1F U-disk manager.

EVERYTHING works... Mario 3-on-3, Starfox command... I really don't see any need to update to the latest chinese-only firmware.

It must be the U-disk updates that improve compatability with newer (troublesome) games. The firmware version does not seem to affect compatability at all.

I think the only thing I'm missing out on is the little battery and clock icons on the G6 menu.

Beta firmware isn't bad. Compressed GBA images don't work in that version, though, and there was a game that had problems with saving or something...(I think it was Rockman). (Of course GBA images are so small, you don't save that much space by compressing, anyway), although if you are low on space from NDS images, compression does help you put more GBA stuff on there...

There was also a bug with the GBA media player....

pubjoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll keep an eye out for future problems but so far I haven't noticed any.

I always tick "compress" in U-disk when I transfer a GBA game and they've worked fine so far (only tried a few though).

I think the firmware revision is held responsible for a lot of early bugs and compatability problems, when in fact it is actually the U-disk software updates that have solved these issues. For example: I have heard of many people updating their firmware to play an "incompatable" game, when all they needed to do is just update their U-disk version (this is why I made this thread).

Afterall, it is U-Disk which patches the rom to make it work.

Falkentyne, Can you be sure that it is newer firmware that has solved rockman's saving issues, or could it have been fixed by a new U-Disk patch?

If anyone can confirm that it IS rockman that has issues, I'll see if I can test it.

Maybe I'll come across a problem (such as saving) eventually, but so far I have had 0 problems and I've been using this (A LOT) for around a month now (around 30-50 games played and saved - all fine!).

Oh, and I can't comment on the GBA media player as I've only used the DS one (no borders).

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I always tick "compress" in U-disk when I transfer a GBA game and they've worked fine so far (only tried a few though).

I think the firmware revision is held responsible for a lot of early bugs and compatability problems, when in fact it is actually the U-disk software updates that have solved these issues. For example: I have heard of many people updating their firmware to play an "incompatable" game, when all they needed to do is just update their U-disk version (this is why I made this thread).

Falkentyne, Can you be sure that it is newer firmware that has solved rockman's saving issues, or could it have been fixed by a new U-Disk patch?

If anyone can confirm that it IS rockman that has issues, I'll see if I can test it.

Maybe I'll come across a problem (such as saving) eventually, but so far I have had 0 problems and I've been using this (A LOT) for around a month now (around 30-50 games played and saved - all fine!).

Oh, and I can't comment on the GBA media player as I've only used the DS one (no borders).

When I first got my G6, I used compress on all the GBA roms. But I think the G6 came with 4.1a. When I tried the beta firmware, none of the ROMS would run--white screen. When I retransferred them uncompressed, they ran fine. I think the only ones I tested were Final Fantasy 4, Zelda and a Mario advance game and (maybe) Namco Museum.

I don't play rockman...

dfi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm running the beta fw loader with the latest pc software and rockman runs and saves fine. So compatibility is definitely with the pc software and not the loader.

I think the firmware revision is held responsible for a lot of early bugs and compatability problems, when in fact it is actually the U-disk software updates that have solved these issues. For example: I have heard of many people updating their firmware to play an "incompatable" game, when all they needed to do is just update their U-disk version (this is why I made this thread).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: (i was allowed to do that)