Louse76

OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I've been using my teeth for the last four installs, ha!

What is a good way to strip these babies? Is there a cheap stripper I can get at Radio Shack? Or what do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

noamkot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I've been using my teeth for the last four installs, ha!

What is a good way to strip these babies? Is there a cheap stripper I can get at Radio Shack? Or what do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

I normally use a standard cutter.
When I have plenty of stripping to do then I adjust a wire stripper that i have at home (one of the cheap ones that look like a cutter with an adjustable hole).
And when I am really really lazy i use the soldering iron by touching the part that i want to strip with the hot head (not recommended as it's not healthy for the soldering iron)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you feel the need, my soldering iron, teeth, knife or standard cutters (loose fit and spin it round it) work.
Not to mention bog standard wire cutters usually have the provision, failing that a real wire stripper will run you but a few dollars (I prefer the front facing ones):
http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp...2032058.2032237

If you wanted tips about it then I suggest finding a way to pull back the coating before soldering and then letting it return after the fact, a small incision and tape/glue repair work for me.

illumina

Trophies
XP
Country
I bought some wire stripper at radio shack for about $5 and it was worth it. i don't see it on that link posted above anymore, so maybe they don't have it anymore.

Louse76

OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
If you wanted tips about it then I suggest finding a way to pull back the coating before soldering and then letting it return after the fact, a small incision and tape/glue repair work for me.

How would I go about doing that exactly? That really would be great to ensure there is no contact between wires, because they are so close together!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You have a few options:
The easy way:
Make a slice about 5-8 mm up from the end of the cover, it should then slip on and off, sometimes it is hard to keep the cover on though.

The hard way
Make a slick about 5 mm up from the bottom 10mm and you should be able to slide it up and back down again (think like a cutting slits in a tube of paper).

A dab of hot glue does just as good at keeping stuff seperate as well though.

JesterDev

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just use a lighter.
smile.gif
Heat up the area to be stripped just a brief moment and then pull.

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
everyone so far is obviously referring to plastic coated wire. kynar does not melt under the heat of a soldering iron (which is why most people will use it over standard plastic coated wire). kynar wire does require something like wire strippers or a sharp knife.

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
get a dedicated stripper, you can get a one around $5 or up to $60+ depending on which you get, i personally use Ideal Industeries T-stripper ($10) , which goes from 22awg-30awg works great, also has a built in cutter that works great. dont buy those manual adjustable strippers that are cheap since it will suck (ie radioshack), go expensive on those. i used to strip wires with a crafting knife just score it around and pull it off but once i switched to teflon wires it became totally different. i did like kynar compared to pvc but perfer teflon now doesnt burn/melt or retreat when heated.

my tip is, if you continue to strip with your teeth dont convert to teflon almost impossible to strip those with teeth

*Edit*
Ideal T-Strippers
http://www.mytoolstore.com/ideal/idendx11.html

Radio shack stripper i wouldnt wish on my worse enemy
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I just use a lighter.
smile.gif
Heat up the area to be stripped just a brief moment and then pull.
I had Kynar coated wire and I used a method similar to this. I just rolled the ends along the side of my soldering iron till it peeled back a bit. Worked like a charm as I don't have strippers and my attempts with my cutters failed miserably ie: the ends fell off
tongue.gif

If you are doing multiple installs though invest in some wire strippers. Especially if people are watching you hah.

mikeosoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i use the second one u show. You jist need to have a steady hand and the ability to apply perfect pressure with your hand. years of masterbation help...

CYatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i use the second one u show. You jist need to have a steady hand and the ability to apply perfect pressure with your hand. years of masterbation help...
That's for the second one you say? Sounds like the perfect tool for me..

I just use 2 pliers. I grip one end of the wire, a little before the tip, securely, and the other on the end, only somewhat. and then pull. If done correctly, works like a charm.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E