Best way to strip 30AWG wire?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Louse76, Apr 20, 2007.

Apr 20, 2007

Best way to strip 30AWG wire? by Louse76 at 3:54 PM (5,718 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. Louse76
    OP

Member Louse76 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've been using my teeth for the last four installs, ha!

What is a good way to strip these babies? Is there a cheap stripper I can get at Radio Shack? Or what do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

2. noamkot

Newcomer noamkot Advanced Member

Israel
    I normally use a standard cutter.
    When I have plenty of stripping to do then I adjust a wire stripper that i have at home (one of the cheap ones that look like a cutter with an adjustable hole).
    And when I am really really lazy i use the soldering iron by touching the part that i want to strip with the hot head (not recommended as it's not healthy for the soldering iron)

3. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    I say teeth. Its 20 bucks for a spring loaded one at jaycar. Most crimpers have wire strippers on them

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    If you feel the need, my soldering iron, teeth, knife or standard cutters (loose fit and spin it round it) work.
    Not to mention bog standard wire cutters usually have the provision, failing that a real wire stripper will run you but a few dollars (I prefer the front facing ones):
    http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp...2032058.2032237

If you wanted tips about it then I suggest finding a way to pull back the coating before soldering and then letting it return after the fact, a small incision and tape/glue repair work for me.

5. hanman

Member hanman I'm a pretty lucky guy

United States
    i find that using my finger nails is the easiest method to strip 30 AWG wire.

6. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I've done 100's of ps1's loads of ps2's and have always used my teeth to strip the wires.

7. Louse76
    OP

United States
    A lot of the time people watch and it looks a little unprofessional however... ha!

8. illumina

Member illumina GBAtemp Regular

I bought some wire stripper at radio shack for about $5 and it was worth it. i don't see it on that link posted above anymore, so maybe they don't have it anymore.

9. Louse76
    OP

United States
    How would I go about doing that exactly? That really would be great to ensure there is no contact between wires, because they are so close together!

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    You have a few options:
    The easy way:
    Make a slice about 5-8 mm up from the end of the cover, it should then slip on and off, sometimes it is hard to keep the cover on though.

The hard way
    Make a slick about 5 mm up from the bottom 10mm and you should be able to slide it up and back down again (think like a cutting slits in a tube of paper).

A dab of hot glue does just as good at keeping stuff seperate as well though.

11. Goten2

Newcomer Goten2 Newbie

United States
    I would suggest using a modified nail clipper. Just make a small notch the size of the 30AWG.

12. JesterDev

Member JesterDev GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just use a lighter. [​IMG] Heat up the area to be stripped just a brief moment and then pull.

13. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    everyone so far is obviously referring to plastic coated wire. kynar does not melt under the heat of a soldering iron (which is why most people will use it over standard plastic coated wire). kynar wire does require something like wire strippers or a sharp knife.

14. Edster

Member Edster GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've used scissors and they strip fine for me.

15. Tomobobo

Member Tomobobo Champion.

United States
    I use teeth, then scissors to cut the excess wire.

16. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    get a dedicated stripper, you can get a one around $5 or up to $60+ depending on which you get, i personally use Ideal Industeries T-stripper ($10) , which goes from 22awg-30awg works great, also has a built in cutter that works great. dont buy those manual adjustable strippers that are cheap since it will suck (ie radioshack), go expensive on those. i used to strip wires with a crafting knife just score it around and pull it off but once i switched to teflon wires it became totally different. i did like kynar compared to pvc but perfer teflon now doesnt burn/melt or retreat when heated.

my tip is, if you continue to strip with your teeth dont convert to teflon almost impossible to strip those with teeth

*Edit*
    Ideal T-Strippers
    http://www.mytoolstore.com/ideal/idendx11.html

Radio shack stripper i wouldnt wish on my worse enemy
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search

17. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    cheers for the link, takrin. I ordered a set just now. (the crappy adjustable that I currently own will go in the circular file once they arrive). [​IMG]

18. Smack

Member Smack GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I had Kynar coated wire and I used a method similar to this. I just rolled the ends along the side of my soldering iron till it peeled back a bit. Worked like a charm as I don't have strippers and my attempts with my cutters failed miserably ie: the ends fell off [​IMG]

If you are doing multiple installs though invest in some wire strippers. Especially if people are watching you hah.

19. mikeosoft

Member mikeosoft GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i use the second one u show. You jist need to have a steady hand and the ability to apply perfect pressure with your hand. years of masterbation help...

20. CYatta

Member CYatta GBAtemp Fan

United States
    That's for the second one you say? Sounds like the perfect tool for me..

I just use 2 pliers. I grip one end of the wire, a little before the tip, securely, and the other on the end, only somewhat. and then pull. If done correctly, works like a charm.