Hardware Best way to solve this detached battery? GBA SP

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi. Today one of the cables came loose and broke off the terminal for my battery on my GBA SP. I've attached an image to show what I mean.

I've never had to deal with this since all my other GBAs use normal batteries that just slot in whereas this one uses soldered wires. Am I safe to just resolder it in place on the contact/terminal?

Better yet, am I safe to desolder the other battery wire and just use a slot-in battery? Is it even safe to solder directly to these terminals?

Attachments

• 122433650_359788485235023_4759434553981974959_n.jpg
    122433650_359788485235023_4759434553981974959_n.jpg
    731.5 KB · Views: 170

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not seen that done before and sold on (few even that did it for themselves). Wonder what was done for it.

Terminals on the SP. Should be fine to solder on those, though I can't tell from that image if they still exist or were removed for the mod. My reservations would be in that I don't know what was changed for the battery management there and whether it will still play nicely with an official battery.

Terminals on the battery. I don't like dumping a lot of heat into lithium batteries but it is usually piercing/bending that does the damage, and it is not like I don't heat up such things with my hot air station to soften glue on any number of products normally.
If the solder is still there and you can just strip some wire off, tin it and and flow it back in then great.
If it is a clean pad for some reason then maybe give it a kiss with a file first to give it a better chance of bonding (some of the gold coloured stuff they use to coat terminals does not take solder that well).

If you want to do all this outside with a box you can chuck it in such that you can throw it away in a hurry should it be that 1 in 100000 that does decide to do its best Arthur Brown impression then that is not a bad plan.

Also I don't know if that is a trick of the light or the lens but that battery is looking a bit puffy.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi. Today one of the cables came loose and broke off the terminal for my battery on my GBA SP. I've attached an image to show what I mean.

I've never had to deal with this since all my other GBAs use normal batteries that just slot in whereas this one uses soldered wires. Am I safe to just resolder it in place on the contact/terminal?

Better yet, am I safe to desolder the other battery wire and just use a slot-in battery? Is it even safe to solder directly to these terminals?
Sure, the broken off wire is not on the battery side, so it's perfectly fine to solder it back on without any risk of damaging the battery. Those terminals aren't designed to be soldered onto so maybe they don't take the solder very well, or maybe the last guy just did a poor job with the soldering.
You can probably desolder the wires and use a normal SP battery, I don't know why the last guy went with a hacky solution like this, guess they were just too cheap to buy a SP battery. Just try to get as much of the solder off as possible so you don't have any rough/pokey bits.

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks to the both of you! I don't know why this battery was used to begin with either; I bought this pre-built (its an IPS V2 modded LCD) and this is just the battery it shipped with.

I think I'm gonna just remove it and replace it with a standard SP battery if it's completely safe to remove the other wire, cause then this won't happen again.

Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: