Wiitired but still kicking
OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
My current SD card in use is a PNY 256GB SDXC. I use it for enuNAND, emulators, Wii & GameCube titles. Been using it for years.

I really only play a handful of Wii & GameCube titles. I keep them on the SDXC card so I don't have to put wear and tear on my external HDD. I really only attach the 5TB to the Wii when I'm adding titles to it, testing something or when people are over (to be a show off having 2,100 games available)

The 1TB cards look nice, but I'm holding off for pricing to come down. My dream would be a working 5TB SDXC card so I can eliminate the HDD all together. Who knows, it could work?.
If you go to the system menu options data management, can you transfer saves\titles that way? And assuming you're on a recent SM IOS, which I'm sure you are, does it work right from the SD card menu on the main system menu?

edit:
all your examples were homebrew, which I already knew worked on SDXC :)

edit: well I guess when you say Wii and Gamecube titles, maybe you meant via the SM? Or maybe via homebrew? Thanks in advance for the clarifying info which I'm sure you'll probably share any second even before I'm finished editing this msg, lol, I want to update my mental database as well

edit2: SM = System Menu

Last edited by XFlak,

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you go to the system menu options data management, can you transfer saves that way? And assuming you're on a recent SM IOS, which I'm sure you are, does it work right from the SD card menu on the main system menu?

edit:

See, look at me learning things.

I don't think I have ever tried that. Never been into playing the games enough to want to do anything with the game saves. If you have a specific way you would like me to try this let me know.

I'll look at it tonight and see what happens.

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you go to the system menu options data management, can you transfer saves\titles that way? And assuming you're on a recent SM IOS, which I'm sure you are, does it work right from the SD card menu on the main system menu?

edit:

edit: well I guess when you say Wii and Gamecube titles, maybe you meant via the SM? Or maybe via homebrew? Thanks in advance for the clarifying info which I'm sure you'll probably share any second even before I'm finished editing this msg, lol, I want to update my mental database as well

Not sure what is meant by SM?

Reactions: Alexander1970

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Despite Windows 7 pro being 64 bits; only the 32 bit vesion of the Wii backup manager works well; may be because the 64 bit version is for windows 10 or something.

The USB Gx thing as usual refuses to read my usb stick, Nintendont does it with no problems as usual. So not loading Wii games from backups for now.

Has anyone been able to use save states on the Wii Nintendo 64 emulator? I tried several games, both from usb and as sd card and tried saving in USB and the sd card, and it just keeps me throwing me error messages.

Then again the emulation is... not that great. I think I will get a usb controller and use Mupen64Plus on Linux instead.

Last edited by raxadian,

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, System Menu

Point me in the right direction if I do not answer correctly.

Wii & GameCube titles - I just use the CFG shortcut from the main Wii System Menu 4.3U to load up CFG USB Loader and then run all Wii & GameCube titles through there, CFG loading via Nintendont of course. Works fine with the other loaders also, but I just like CFG.

Data Management - I looked it up and will use the Wii Data Management screen to try copying some saves over to the SD card and then report back. Will be about 10pm my time PST (about 8 hours from now) because I'm at work.

Last edited by ca032769,

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
By the way, I got some news:
After testing and messing around few days ago, I've deinstalled ModMii and again removed the ModMii folder from my C:\ root to install the update when it was released. But you asked about the easter egg which I forgot to hunt so I've installed it again today for another hunt, without any luck of course. Well, that's not the news of course. The news is: ModMii 6.6.1 is now downloading everything fine!
The very same steps just I did everytime, and it now finishes the job without any errors! I was like "no way!", but yeah! I've tried it a few times and every time there was 100% sucess! It's really strange! Dunno what changed from then but honestly I didn't change anything.

By the way, I have to add something I didn't mention before, because it really didn't change anything in the process of error resolving:
I had to put "::" in front of "chcp 65001>nul" else ModMii was awfully slow with it enabled! Getting from a selection screen to the next could take a minute or even more on my system.

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
By the way, I got some news:
After testing and messing around few days ago, I've deinstalled ModMii and again removed the ModMii folder from my C:\ root to install the update when it was released. But you asked about the easter egg which I forgot to hunt so I've installed it again today for another hunt, without any luck of course. Well, that's not the news of course. The news is: ModMii 6.6.1 is now downloading everything fine!
The very same steps just I did everytime, and it now finishes the job without any errors! I was like "no way!", but yeah! I've tried it a few times and every time there was 100% sucess! It's really strange! Dunno what changed from then but honestly I didn't change anything.

By the way, I have to add something I didn't mention before, because it really didn't change anything in the process of error resolving:
I had to put "::" in front of "chcp 65001>nul" else ModMii was awfully slow with it enabled! Getting from a selection screen to the next could take a minute or even more on my system.

So you're saying 6.6.1 is using tmdedit successfully? If you go to support\tmdedit.exe and rename it to something different 6.6.1 should fail. Can you do this to confirm your ModMii is successfully using tmdedit now (when named properly, and failing when not)?

Can you also try changing it to "chcp 65001>nul" to "chcp 437>nul" and see if it's still speedy with this there (without any colons)? I added this for unicode support if someone is installing neek with ModMii installed to a path with a special character in it (like C:\users\José\Desktop\ModMii). But if it causes problems for others I can change it back, and these users with special characters can either install ModMii to the default path (C:\ModMii) or they can manually make the change to "chcp 65001>nul" (assuming I revert it back to "chcp 437>nul")

edit: I may just leave these 2 new cIOSs to be created without using tmdedit since it's already done. One less dependency in case someone else runs into the same problem with tmdedit in the future (or rather now they won't)

Last edited by XFlak,

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So you're saying 6.6.1 is using tmdedit successfully? If you go to support\tmdedit.exe and rename it to something different 6.6.1 should fail. Can you do this to confirm your ModMii is successfully using tmdedit now (when named properly, and failing when not)?

Can you also try changing it to "chcp 65001>nul" to "chcp 437>nul" and see if it's still speedy with this there (without any colons)? I added this for unicode support if someone is installing neek with ModMii installed to a path with a special character in it (like C:\users\José\Desktop\ModMii). But if it causes problems for others I can change it back, and these users with special characters can either install ModMii to the default path (C:\ModMii) or they can manually make the change to "chcp 65001>nul" (assuming I revert it back to "chcp 437>nul")

edit: I may just leave these 2 new cIOSs to be created without using tmdedit since it's already done. One less dependency in case someone else runs into the same problem with tmdedit in the future (or rather now they won't)

Renaming tmdedit and starting process gave the same error I had back then, failure on those three d2x-v10-beta52 files.
For the codepage codes,I already did try out all those separately before by removing the colons in front of the desired codepage but the others:

::chcp 437>nul
::chcp 65001>nul
::chcp 850>nul
::chcp 1252>nul

I even added "chcp 1254>nul" (turkish codepage)(without the colons of course) to see if it was any faster. So everytime only one codepage was active and the others deactivated by putting colons in front of them (Notepad++ is a great editing tool). Everyting else than 65001 was fast for me. Enabling 65001 crazily slows down ModMii. So I always let them all disabled, because you said 437 is set automatically if nothing is selected.

Last edited by CaptainHIT,

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
you said 437 is set automatically if nothing is selected.
No that's not what I said, waaaay back some users were getting errors because modmii was looking for information returned in English that was in another language... I think, this was ages ago. So I added chcp 437 to make sure modmii would get the responses it was looking for, and everything worked without issue for many years. If chcp something is not declared it may not be 437 for everyone, depends on the windows configuration.

Fast forward to a month or 2 ago and I get a bug report that I troubleshooted and the solution to getting the sneek installer to work with a "Copy to José" path (or similar) was to change it to 65001 (unicode). The thing is using a folder like this still breaks other things in ModMii, so it doesn't make sense to leave it this way if ppl r reporting slow down issues. I will revert this to 437 and if any users have issues with special paths they will have to change directories, or just use default everything (edit2: or manually change it to 65001)

Edit1: man, this is so strange with the tmdedit thing. I did all that messing around to bypass it too! Lol, created 20 new difpatch files and everything, bloating modmii up a bit but it doesn't hurt anything :) super small files anyway

Last edited by XFlak,

BalckPearlWiiHB

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi XFlak,
today I tried out your great ModMii 6.6.1. It*s a great tool for me, you've made a great job in every case.
The tested Wii was a 4.3 and I tested the "SU = sysCheck Updater (update only your outdated softmods) + Guide" to mod this console. ModMii has downloaded all the wad-files correctly. I installed them and then I started a syscheck again to check if I am up to date now, but ModMii started the download of the same wad's again. Now I downgraded the console to 4.1E, but after a new syscheck the same download procedure. For Newbies it would be better to have a message as: "Well done - here's nothing more to do"
Many greetings, your Black.Pearl from WiiHB!

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Hi XFlak,
today I tried out your great ModMii 6.6.1. It*s a great tool for me, you've made a great job in every case.
The tested Wii was a 4.3 and I tested the "SU = sysCheck Updater (update only your outdated softmods) + Guide" to mod this console. ModMii has downloaded all the wad-files correctly. I installed them and then I started a syscheck again to check if I am up to date now, but ModMii started the download of the same wad's again. Now I downgraded the console to 4.1E, but after a new syscheck the same download procedure. For Newbies it would be better to have a message as: "Well done - here's nothing more to do"
Many greetings, your Black.Pearl from WiiHB!
After a new syscheck modmii should tell you everything is up to date. I suspect you are providing modmii with a non-English syscheck so it's not properly detecting what's installed

Edit: please share the latest syscheck for confirmation if you are able to

Last edited by XFlak,

BalckPearlWiiHB

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
After a new syscheck modmii should tell you everything is up to date. I suspect you are providing modmii with a non-English syscheck so it's not properly detecting what's installed

Edit: please share the latest syscheck for confirmation if you are able to

Yes, you are absolutely right. SysCheck takes the language settings of the Wii. It was a german SysCheck I used for my trial. Now I tried a english SysCheck and it worked perfectly. Many thanks for your fast response.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Yes, you are absolutely right. SysCheck takes the language settings of the Wii. It was a german SysCheck I used for my trial. Now I tried a english SysCheck and it worked perfectly. Many thanks for your fast response.

I have made many sysCheck in the last Time,but again and again I stumbled over that same "Issue" and then:

- Me -> runs to @XFlak
- complains
"Why is my sysCheck always recommends me 50 Files to download ?"

And he always patiently explains "Because it is German Language sysCheck...."

:rofl2:

Reactions: BalckPearlWiiHB

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
While this is a bit iff topic, how durable is the Wii disc reader? I have seen it fail but the console launched in 2007, is not rare for any disc reader to have a problem after a decade of use. Besides not using it for anything else but Gamecube and Wii games it works quite fine. I had more trouble with my PS2 disc reader since I had to fix it two times.

Last edited by raxadian,

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While this is a bit iff topic, how durable is the Wii disc reader? I have seen it fsil but the console launched in 2007, is not rare for any disc reader to have a problem after a decade, besides not using it for anything else but Gamecube and Wii games it works quite fine. I had more trouble with my PS2 disc reader since I had to fix it two times.
The Wii disc drive is the single part most likely to fail in the console.

The top loading Gamecube disc drive was a much better design for hardware longevity than the Wii's slot loading - one less thing that can break.

All that said, yeah, it's still more durable than Sony's. Sony's hardware design philosophy is somewhere between "who cares if it breaks" and "make sure it breaks within the time before our next release"

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
All that said, yeah, it's still more durable than Sony's. Sony's hardware design philosophy is somewhere between "who cares if it breaks" and "make sure it breaks within the time before our next release"

People complains how about how half of the Xbox 360s broke down but early design Playstations literally melted.

That being said the early PSP 200/2000 is really nice and durable, mine still works and only thing needing replacing was the battery and the charger. the USB cable no longer works but I use an adapter for a micro sd on my PSP so I didn't lose anything.

D

Deleted User

Hey there.
Just wanted to get a doubt of my head. I noticed ModMii states as recommended to download USB Loader GX in the USB Drive rather than putting it in the SD Card's apps folder. Any reason or advantage of doing so?

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
It allows you to launch your loader and games requiring just 1 device instead of 2. Otherwise not much difference

Edit: if there was a reason for SD to be problematic, it wouldn't be an option in modmii. Same goes for any of the choices modmii gives you. That being said, it's always fine to come and ask "why" or any other questions :)

Last edited by XFlak,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: see ya