Homebrew Best SNES Emulator???

Zaiga

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You should have looked at the stickied topic.. There's only 2 SNES emulators and SNEmulDS is better, but it doesn't run everything.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sdragon21 said:
What's the best DS Super Nintendo emulator out right now that will run Seiken Densetsu 3 and Treasure Of The Rudras???
SnemulDS is the best, but I was unable to run either of those games. Seiken Densetsu can boot if you constantly play with the speedhacks (and I mean CONSTANTLY) and disable the sound, but it's too slow and keeps freezing every few seconds.

SNES emulation on DS just isn't very good at the moment. The SnemulDS developer said he'll be back eventually, but no word yet.

And @Zaiga: there are actually 3 for the DS- SNESDS, SnezziDS, and SnemulDS. I'll admit though, that snezzids needs a GBA card to run, so it might not count for much. That being said you were right about the best.

Ranked together:
SNESDS < SnezziDS < SnemulDS.

Necromanson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this thread is a little dated but...

...I find the SNEmulDS to be a complete pile of shit, with only a handful of games you'd actually want to play compatible. The reason I'm posting is because I was looking for a better DS SNES emulator, if there was one out there, and I stumbled upon this.

Reaper

Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Vague Rant said:
So make your own, you whining little bitch.
ohmy.gif
wow man wow

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not completely uncalled for... SnesemulDS took a lot of development time...

Here is how it goes... you either get a SNES emulator that plays games at a playable speed... or you get an SNES emulator that has great compatibility but runs at 1/10th full speed. Those are the only options available on the DS.

Calling snesemulds shit just because it doesn't play the games he wants is sad.

cturtle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's sad that the best SNES emulator is only a 2/10 at best. If you're actually lucky enough to find a rom that loads, you need to spend 5 minutes for each game figuring out if there's a graphics setup that actually allows you to play the game.

I just don't get it. With the popularity of the DS, and the SNES there should be dozens of emulators to choose from. Not 2 garbage ones.

The last version of SNemulDS came out over a year ago, and I haven't even heard of anyone thinking about starting work on a decent emulator. So please tell me what it is then, developers? Is it a big pain in the ass to write a SNES emulator? I don't know the first thing about coding.

I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk about this, it really is just puzzling to me. When will I be able to play SNES on my DS (properly)??

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cturtle, you need to appreciate that the DS is no powerhouse.
SNEmulDS is based off the same authors old emulator called SNEmul, the problem isn't his emulator at all, it's the system. There's a serious lack of power, and I don't believe the DS has a dedicated graphics chip that SNEmul could use to fix a lot of graphical and speed issues.

Yes the DS is popular, but emulation isn't that big of a deal on it. If you want emulation, get something like a PSP, a Dingoo, or a GP2X Wiz. You're not going to have your DS be a portable SNES anytime soon.

cturtle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But why is it that some seemingly memory intensive roms run fine then? I could understand if some of the later SNES games didn't run like Starfox, but it doesn't make sense to me that some are playable, and other equivalent games aren't.

I'm hoping someone figures this out before I get sick of my DS and move on to the next thing.
biggrin.gif

cturtle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Antoligy said:
All games are different... thats why.

Well gee, thanks! I hadn't noticed!
nyanya.gif

I realize that every game is different, but I don't remember needing a different SNES to play each one. If the DS Lite could play some games flawlessly, you'd think the DSi with a memory upgrade should be able to cover the rest.

What is it that I'm missing here? Some memory intensive games play, some don't. I'd love to talk to the devs of SnemulDS and ask them why they abandoned their incomplete emulator. What insurmountable obstacle did they encounter that made it impossible to clean it up?

Game compatibility aside, I'd be happy right now with just being able to load a game knowing that all the graphics layers are there and that it properly fits my screen.

I guess I'll just keep dreaming...

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
*sigh*

Not all SNES games are the same, there are three main reasons that a game wouldn't work on SNEmulDS.

1: The game used extra hardware in the cartridge, like the Super FX chip that handled 3D.
2: The romsize is larger than 4mb
3: The game itself used obscure coding or workarounds that the emulator isn't coded to do.

And NO, your DSi's extra memory/cpu speed are NOT being used in SNEmul, the DSi runs in "DS mode" when you use any flashcard.

But you'll be happy to hear that there's a compatibility list, you can see what games work, and what the better config is for them.
http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNEmulDS_Compatibility_List

cturtle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
RupeeClock said:
*sigh*

Not all SNES games are the same, there are three main reasons that a game wouldn't work on SNEmulDS.

1: The game used extra hardware in the cartridge, like the Super FX chip that handled 3D.
2: The romsize is larger than 4mb
3: The game itself used obscure coding or workarounds that the emulator isn't coded to do.

And NO, your DSi's extra memory/cpu speed are NOT being used in SNEmul, the DSi runs in "DS mode" when you use any flashcard.

But you'll be happy to hear that there's a compatibility list, you can see what games work, and what the better config is for them.
http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNEmulDS_Compatibility_List

Well like I said, I realize the Super FX games, probably won't work, that's no surprise but I'm positive I've tried roms under 4mb that didn't work and I find it hard to believe that the code can't be figured out. I may not know a lot about coding myself, but I've been around long enough to see hackers can eventually work their way around any problem. It may take several weeks or months, but if there's interest, they'll figure it out. It's not like their starting from scratch here either. There's a 40+ thread on here about pirating DSiWare games, and there hasn't even been any progress made on that. Why have their been no developments on this in well over a year?

Whichever way you look at it, there is still plenty the SnemulDS team could have done to their emulator. So all I can surmise from this is that there is no real interest in playing SNES on the DS.

Should I not be using 0.6? Is that my problem?
And thanks for the compatibility list, that'll help at least.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la