Homebrew Best SNES and NES Emulators for DSi

N-TG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
For Nes there is NesDS and for Snes there is SnesEmulDS....

Put the snes emulator doesn't work so well... (or not at all when it comes to Megaman games
frown.gif
)
Because it haven't benn updated for a year+ (I wished I had the knowledge to do it myself )

cturtle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are no good SNES emulators for the DS for some reason. SnemulDS is a complete waste of time. Only about 10% of the games play okay, the rest either won't load, or the graphics are too screwed up to play. Also for some reason the default mode has the picture stretched bigger than the DS screen so you need to squish it to fit every time.

Don't waste your time. Hopefully someday I'll be able to play SNES on my DS.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's greatly exaggerated. Yeah SNEmulDS isn't perfect, but way more than 10% of the SNES library is playable. If you're expecting 100% perfect SNES emulation on the DS then you're out of luck, but SNEmulDS works fine enough to be enjoyable.

Or perhaps you're not taking the time to change any of the graphics settings at any point during gameplay? You do have to fiddle with the options sometimes, which really isn't a big deal.

Dookieman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For you people bashing SNEmulDS, you all know nothing. A SNES emulator on the DS is AMAZING. Its a great technical feat, and everyone should be happy that they can play ANY games with the emulator. Running things with less then combined 150Mhz is ridiculously awesome. Be patient and a new version will come out, the author stated that himself that it is only "sleeping."

D

Deleted User

256x192 will never do shit
mad.gif

Instead of stretching the screen for the DSi, they should have made it higher resolution.

For now, we'll have to fuss with our emulator screens.

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NesDS is an amazing nes emulator. A few games have problems, but overall its almost perfect.
The Snes emu is surely an amazing feat, but there are too many issues to make it very dependable. The main problem has to do with background layers and sprites missing. Having to mess with the BG layers to get your favorite game to work can be a pain.

Anyways nesDS is almost perfect, while SnemulDS is quite flawed but capable of running certain games pretty well.

zero383

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
coolmariners98 said:
I was wondering if anybody knew of some recent SNES or NES emulators that have been created for the DSi?

Just to clarify, there are no emulators that take advantage of the upgraded hardware in the DSi since it hasn't been hacked yet. However, nesDS and SNEmulDS are the two best emulators that run in DS mode.

boogerlad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dookieman said:
For you people bashing SNEmulDS, you all know nothing. A SNES emulator on the DS is AMAZING. Its a great technical feat, and everyone should be happy that they can play ANY games with the emulator. Running things with less then combined 150Mhz is ridiculously awesome. Be patient and a new version will come out, the author stated that himself that it is only "sleeping."

You can't combine mhz. On the other hand, you're right. Snemulds is a feat because the snes has 5 proccessors. Syncing them on relativly weak hardware is amazing!

Dookieman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I realize that you can't combine, should have stated that earlier. I meant in this way. I'm sure he has certain portions of his code getting sent to both processors, thus not relying entirely on one processor to do all the work. I don't know how it is coded so I may be off on that.

xion12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone should make another snes emulator for the ds. Snes9x is very simple and and seems to take less than two megabytes. I think the way to to make it work on DS is to tone it down a bit and remove unneeded features. Translate the code to a readable version and that's sbout it. If anyone wants to do this Snes9x is open source.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dookieman said:
I realize that you can't combine, should have stated that earlier. I meant in this way. I'm sure he has certain portions of his code getting sent to both processors, thus not relying entirely on one processor to do all the work. I don't know how it is coded so I may be off on that.
Somewhat correct actually. The ARM7 handles the audio core and that's pretty much it, while the ARM9 handles the main CPU emulation and screen display.

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know Snemulds works very nicely, the games that work (even though there's graphical glitches) run at full speed. But I figured with the DSi's better processor and additional RAM that there'd be a flawless SNES emulator exclusively for the DSi.

linkmaster03

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nesDS is the best NES emulator by far. It runs most games perfectly and supports save states with DLDI. It was a bitch finding the right version that worked, supported DLDI, and could load .nes files from the card directly without packing them into the .nds, but eventually I got it.

eSquire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I know Snemulds works very nicely, the games that work (even though there's graphical glitches) run at full speed. But I figured with the DSi's better processor and additional RAM that there'd be a flawless SNES emulator exclusively for the DSi.
QUOTEJust to clarify, there are no emulators that take advantage of the upgraded hardware in the DSi since it hasn't been hacked yet. However, nesDS and SNEmulDS are the two best emulators that run in DS mode.

Awakened

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mega Man X does run in SNEmul. It's one of the better playing games actually. It's only X2 and X3 that have the special chips.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Awakened said:
Mega Man X does run in SNEmul. It's one of the better playing games actually. It's only X2 and X3 that have the special chips.
If Mega Man X doesn't work right for you (ie lose upgrades after each level), it's a problem with the rom. Working versions are out there.

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
problem with SNEmulDS is that for more powerful SNES games, it uses a slot-2 device for extra RAM.

i'm not sure what would happen if you used it on a DSi though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto